Back to Design: Creation of Artifacts in Society

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design: Creation of Artifacts in Society by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course aimed at making you a better designer. The course marries theory and practice, as both are valuable in improving design performance. Lectures and readings will lay out the fundamental concepts that underpin design as a human activity. Weekly design challenges test your ability to apply those ideas to solve real problems. The course is deliberately broad - spanning all domains of design, including architecture, graphics, services, apparel, engineered goods, and products. The emphasis of the course is the basic design process: define, explore, select, and refine. You, the student, bring to the course your particular interests and expertise related to, for instance, engineering, furniture, fashion, architecture, or products. In prior sessions of the course about half of the participants were novices and about half had prior professional design expertise. Both groups seem to benefit substantially from the course. All project work is evaluated by your peers -- and indeed, you will also be a peer reviewer. This format allows you to see an interesting collection of projects while getting useful feedback on your own project....

NS

May 15, 2020

An excellent course. The process from A to Z of designing an artifact was just amazing. I feel like I learned a lot in this course. It's a great course for anyone looking for learn more in this field.

TT

Jun 28, 2020

Thank you teacher!\n\nI have seen the world with different eyes after participating in this course: more curious and always ready to find gaps and think of a way to improve the design problem.

101 - 117 of 117 Reviews for Design: Creation of Artifacts in Society

Sep 05, 2020

amazing

By Marwa Y

May 07, 2020

I liked the course more than I expected! the professor is amazing with bringing the information. I think it's really helpful that he kept the same example going on through the whole course so we can see all the changes and developments in his own prototype so we can compare and learn.

Sometimes I think their are too many unnecessary details, or that it took so long to get to the point. But overall the course is very interesting for everyone who is interested in designing products or artifacts as he likes to call them.

The course period is a little but long, but the videos length is good, not too long not too short.

I'm new to the online courses thing, and I'm considered young to those topics but I found it quite beneficial!

By Michelle A C

Aug 13, 2020

A very interesting course for an introduction to industrial/product design. It carries you from what specific problem you want to find solution to (it could be very simple), up to developing an artifact that can address the stated problem. It could be so demanding also since it requires you to interview people, come up with numerous drawings, make several prototypes, and you're obliged to make many peer reviews. I think this could be lessen so it will not be a tedious course especially for people who are also working.

By Nikolas C

Nov 21, 2017

It has all the concepts involved in design and prototyping, has good examples ans some funny moments. I would recomend it to people that really want to learn about the topic, but not to anyone.

By Matthew F

Nov 06, 2016

Excellent course as in introduction to design, with clear lectures and assignments. Would be good to have some direct feedback from the course tutor though.

By Noemí T M

Feb 11, 2017

Very useful. Mr Ulrich is a good teacher and explains everything with simple examples. Thank you!

By Franco R

Feb 01, 2017

It's a very nice course, with great content, videos and exercises.

By MAYUR K

Great and waiting for new courses from you

By Sakshi r

nice to learn in this app.

By NHAM M P

Jul 04, 2020

It's boring

By Aakash T

Jun 03, 2020

It is the worst course ever.

It shows palgirism when I set my dedication project to them for the purpose of Certificate at that time. It is a worst course ever I will not want to do after all when I want unenroll it , it does not unenroll. Its really a worst course ever.