Back to Designing Cities

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Designing Cities by University of Pennsylvania

Please Note: Designing Cities will close for new learner enrollment on September 30, 2019. Enrolled learners have until March 28, 2020 to complete all graded assignments and earn a Course Certificate. Each module in Designing Cities will focus on a different aspect of city design including: How Today’s City Evolved; The Ideas That Shape Cities; Tools for Designing Cities; Making Cities Sustainable; Cities in the Information Age; Preserving Older Cities; Designing New Cities, Districts and Neighborhoods; The Challenges of Informal Cities and Disadvantaged Neighborhoods; and Visionary Cities. Materials will be presented by the instructors and guest faculty from PennDesign through a series of five or more lessons per module, each typically 10-12 minutes long. The first lesson in each module will be a roundtable discussion among professors Stefan Al, Jonathan Barnett, and Gary Hack introducing the big issues associated with the subject. Each succeeding module will be a self-contained illustrated presentation of a set of ideas and images. There will be a list of suggested readings for those who wish to follow up on the ideas in each module. Everyone enrolled in Designing Cities will be expected to complete 3 assignments. These will be posted on the course site and they will be in the form of peer assessments. There will be a great deal to be learned from the ideas participants submit, reflecting cities of all sizes and circumstances across the globe so once you submit your assignment, you'll be able to see what your peers have done....

JG

Apr 19, 2016

good course, however, it was almost impossible to figure out how to do some of the assignments. I have no idea how to do PDF files. Although, I learned some of the key concepts easily.

BR

Jul 03, 2016

I like the way what we have learned in this course. The material, concepts & professors. The only issue is with the platform, in the referenced reading, we have to buy all this books?

1 - 25 of 114 Reviews for Designing Cities

By HEMANT V P

Nov 09, 2017

The best ice cracker course, which could be pursued even by a person who has little or no knowledge about architecture and city planning. I would suggest to keep the lectures regularly updated,since there are also lot changes could be seen everyday in terms of design ideas, people's approach, construction material etc.

By Ethan S

May 24, 2018

I used this course to stimulate my thinking about urban and regional planning in anticipation of applying for a Master's in the field later this year. I was re-acquainted with ideas I was already familiar with from my undergraduate coursework and was introduced to new concepts along the way. I especially enjoyed getting the chance to practice my research and design skills using the internet, historical records, government websites, and Inkscape (design software) for the course's assignments. Though this is not a technical course, it makes for a great (re)introduction to the field.

By Ar. P C

Jan 03, 2018

Prima Fascia, I take this opportunity to thank all three wonderful tutors and instructors for such an enriching study-course. The course is well- structured to make one realize how urban planning is an important tool and science that which is the need of hour for the world. My experience has been very enlightening which made me rediscover the city to which I belong. I wish they come up with an advanced course in the same regards. Thanks.

By Jonathan G

Apr 19, 2016

By Muhammad F

Sep 08, 2018

Indeed a very elaborate and technical approach followed by the respected professors towards designing this course taking in view the modern day challenges and planning techniques needed for planners across the glob, A very well designed and taught course i would recommend this course to every one whether they are planners, architects and designers.

By Paula B

Aug 16, 2017

It is a good course if you have very little knowledge of Urban Planning, otherwise it might be too simple, however some of the extra material might be useful.

By Sejal S

Jan 09, 2019

An amazing course for architecture and design students, with par excellence professors. The course delves towards urban design providing great insights to reading and analyzing a city structure and design process.

By Adriana N

Mar 14, 2019

Really good couse, super assignments, and amazing teachers! I deeply recommend it.

By Sandra L

Feb 26, 2019

A great, well planned course for urban planners. We are in touch if many other professors around the world.

By Colin J M

Dec 04, 2017

I loved this course, so much so, that I'm still working on/with the final project.

By Denise A

Sep 19, 2016

Teachers have so much experience! Great course!!

By Gautam K

Apr 27, 2016

Excellent course. I learnt so much more about my city in the process, and had a lot of fun making the different assignments. Cheers!

By om p s

Feb 19, 2016

Great course.

By Danny S S

Feb 05, 2018

A great review of Urban conceptions that need to be addressed in our modern society not to mention the reflective material provided as the course looks at historical design conceptions that can help the modern urban planner reconsider options and ideas that may solve the challenges of cities today.

By Myriam D

Feb 11, 2016

It´s a very good course and very illustrative for this important issues

By Oznur C

May 29, 2017

I am empressed, thank you.

By Saar B

Jul 29, 2016

Wonderful stuff. I learned a lot and enjoyed all of it! Keep it up.

By Guy G

Jul 06, 2018

Very well put together course about designing cities.

By Pooja M

May 26, 2016

It was a great learning experience, excellent course!

By 黄瓴

Jan 24, 2018

V

By Tania K B

Sep 12, 2017

Very informative course. Learnt many new concepts. The course was very well instructed.

By Sarah S

Jan 08, 2016

Fantastic course. Very interesting and eye opening. Great videos and assignments!

By Mina L

Apr 05, 2016

great professors and material, logically sequential

By Neyla M G T

Apr 10, 2017

Was an excellent course.

By Zevi T

May 14, 2016

Remarkable amount of information and date in each and every lesson. I looked forward to these every week! Thanks for sharing!