Back to Discrete Math and Analyzing Social Graphs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Discrete Math and Analyzing Social Graphs by National Research University Higher School of Economics

The main goal of this course is to introduce topics in Discrete Mathematics relevant to Data Analysis. We will start with a brief introduction to combinatorics, the branch of mathematics that studies how to count. Basics of this topic are critical for anyone working in Data Analysis or Computer Science. We will illustrate new knowledge, for example, by counting the number of features in data or by estimating the time required for a Python program to run. Next, we will apply our knowledge in combinatorics to study basic Probability Theory. Probability is everywhere in Data Analysis and we will study it in much more details later. Our goals for probability section in this course will be to give initial flavor of this field. Finally, we will study the combinatorial structure that is the most relevant for Data Analysis, namely graphs. Graphs can be found everywhere around us and we will provide you with numerous examples. We will mainly concentrate in this course on the graphs of social networks. We will provide you with relevant notions from the graph theory, illustrate them on the graphs of social networks and will study their basic properties. In the end of the course we will have a project related to social network graphs. As prerequisites we assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), basic programming in Python (functions, loops, recursion), common sense and curiosity. Our intended audience are all people that work or plan to work in Data Analysis, starting from motivated high school students....

Feb 28, 2020

this is a great course i love it and i learned many things like counting , basic of probability graphs\n\nthe first four weeks are amazing the last two weeks was hard to me but possible to solve

LR

Mar 31, 2020

The course is very understandable and assignments are very interesting and applicable. I love the way Russians teach mathematics, therefore I will continue watching courses from this University.

1 - 25 of 72 Reviews for Discrete Math and Analyzing Social Graphs

By Vladyslav C

Feb 14, 2020

Overall course is OK, but it has few problems:

1) The way of presenting of the material. It is clear that target to cover 2-3 area of discrete mathematics under 5 weeks (not counting latest week for Python assignment) is very optimistic, but better to make more weeks or increase amount of video rather than it is in the course. All materials are extremely short, just giving you few formulas and then in very-very easy graded task you apply this formula.

In fact, instead of teaching math, this course is teaching you to apply few formulas to very standard problems to get the result.

I would prefer having let's say 10 weeks each with double amount of video, but with a proper mathematical introduction.

2) Final week and Python assignment has absolutely nothing to do with the previous 5 weeks, looks really weird and not prepared

By Ha T T

Feb 07, 2020

very bad

By Muddasser N

Feb 23, 2020

Very good course and must be taken for good understanding of the underlying concepts. Instructors are really good and knowledgeable. However, more material to read and study could be provided for those who like to get more in-depth understanding of the subject matter at hand.

By SABRIOUS

Feb 28, 2020

Jan 14, 2020

Great Course. Concise and Easy to Follow. Final Assignment should have been more comprehensive.

By Lala R

Mar 31, 2020

By Xingxing T

Apr 03, 2020

This course is very helpful to gain analyzing skills and mindset with discrete math. Some math concepts I struggled was easy to absorb during the course.

By Matthew S

Oct 08, 2020

This course was extremely helpful in regards to understanding and applying the basic math used in data science. The professors walk you through set notation, combinatorics (counting methods and binomial theorem), discrete probability, and graph theory step-by-step from basic observations to more complex applications, ending in a final project that wraps up the course quite well. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and the added mini-guide at the end that help considerably with completing the final project.

By Ana M

This was an amazing review of all the topics necessary to understand probability theory and social graphs. Wish I had seen this before I started my thesis on Social Network Analysis. It's a really good introduction to SNA. I also loved the summary of lectures provided by the instructors. Thank you so much!

By rajasekaran

This is a very useful course for anyone beginning to learn or trying to refresh basics in combinatorics, probability and graph theory. The content is very simple esp. combinatorics and probability. i was able to apply the learning quickly in programming situations.

By Jeff L J D

Sep 30, 2020

I love this course, for me, the course is very hard especially I'm a health professional and in my field, we don't have enough mathematics, but this course brings back my love for mathematics. Thank you very much!

By Carlos M V R

Jun 21, 2020

It was a great course, but I suggest to be more clear with the information about the course (for example some people do not know anything about programming but it is necessary for finishing the course)

By Magnus S

Jul 31, 2020

Very informative and practical. Especially enjoyed learning the theory and Python practical in chunks and then bringing them together for the final assignment.

By SUBHODEEP S

Oct 23, 2020

The course has helped me grasp some important topics. Thanks to all the professors, teachers, staffs and coordinators for making this course so interesting.

By Basavaraj S A

May 05, 2020

It is a good course and quite informative. I request instructors to give some more details about programming assignment giving details about submission

By Diego I B M

Jul 19, 2020

Good course, even if the first two weeks was dificult to me to solve, i could passed it and got certificated

By Daniel P

Oct 24, 2020

Some of the concepts were difficult to understand but by reviewing a few times, I understood. Thank you.

By Gilles T O M K

Apr 06, 2020

Very interested course. I'm so happy by that I earned this certificat, but the struggle continue.

By Julio C D M

Oct 21, 2020

It was an excellent course. I've learned a lot. The professors are very nice and professionals.

By Tatjana S

Oct 18, 2020

One sure needs previous experience in python and a little of basic knowledge in statistics.

By Третьяков О А

Jun 24, 2020

Great course!

There are more Eulers paths that you can imagine, it's like zodiaque. ))

By Mohammad S C

Jun 17, 2020

Good Course but need to improve in some things like resource and basic things

By Oshin M

Aug 20, 2020

Might be quite difficult at first but get along it will be useful in future.

By K A

Jul 06, 2020

Most of the course was very clear and explained things in detail.

By AYA

Oct 08, 2020

very useful to refresh all necessary basics for algorithms