Back to Discrete Math and Analyzing Social Graphs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Discrete Math and Analyzing Social Graphs by National Research University Higher School of Economics

The main goal of this course is to introduce topics in Discrete Mathematics relevant to Data Analysis. We will start with a brief introduction to combinatorics, the branch of mathematics that studies how to count. Basics of this topic are critical for anyone working in Data Analysis or Computer Science. We will illustrate new knowledge, for example, by counting the number of features in data or by estimating the time required for a Python program to run. Next, we will apply our knowledge in combinatorics to study basic Probability Theory. Probability is everywhere in Data Analysis and we will study it in much more details later. Our goals for probability section in this course will be to give initial flavor of this field. Finally, we will study the combinatorial structure that is the most relevant for Data Analysis, namely graphs. Graphs can be found everywhere around us and we will provide you with numerous examples. We will mainly concentrate in this course on the graphs of social networks. We will provide you with relevant notions from the graph theory, illustrate them on the graphs of social networks and will study their basic properties. In the end of the course we will have a project related to social network graphs. As prerequisites we assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), basic programming in Python (functions, loops, recursion), common sense and curiosity. Our intended audience are all people that work or plan to work in Data Analysis, starting from motivated high school students....

Feb 27, 2020

this is a great course i love it and i learned many things like counting , basic of probability graphs\n\nthe first four weeks are amazing the last two weeks was hard to me but possible to solve

LR
Mar 30, 2020

The course is very understandable and assignments are very interesting and applicable. I love the way Russians teach mathematics, therefore I will continue watching courses from this University.

51 - 75 of 75 Reviews for Discrete Math and Analyzing Social Graphs

By Felix

Aug 18, 2020

The first and second lecturer is fine. The third one is not so clear in explaining materials.

By Eran S

Aug 25, 2020

Interesting course on a fascinating subject. I wish questions were a bit more challenging.

By Issam B

Apr 17, 2020

It's a good course. This is my first step in graph theory and that 's so interesting.

By Rangam H

Course was good with hands on experience

By k v r

Apr 4, 2020

good content covered with good examples

By Yamil A M F

Jul 7, 2020

Good course, sometimes hard to follow.

By Mohammed R

Jan 27, 2020

THe talking less clear for me

By Elvan V

Sep 28, 2020

Nice lesson

By Gokul A S

Jul 2, 2020

Good

By j s k

Feb 24, 2020

good

By Adam D

Jun 28, 2020

This course is fairly clearly presented, but it's really three disconnected mini courses squished together. The section on combinatorics is only loosely applied in the probability section. Neither the combinatorics nor the probability parts are really necessary in the graph theory section. That said, the information presentation is fairly solid. It would be vastly improved by adding in more practice problems. I always felt like I understood the material, but I know that I will forget it quickly since I didn't have to practice it much. The final coding project was a complete joke. The hardest part was figuring out how to format the submission files (you just need two text files, one for each numeric answer. In each file, include absolutely nothing except the number)

By Nicholas D

Mar 19, 2020

For the most part it is good and I feel like I learned a lot about subject I wasn't sure I could handle at first. The final programming was challenging which was, but since it was not that related to the rest of the course and the professors did not provide additional background on it, it took me months to complete. I just feel the course would benefit if students are gradually introduced to this assignment over the course of several weeks.

By Rohan R

Jul 5, 2020

It was a good experience learning mathematics here, though i would suggest that there shall be more clarity added in the graph theory and permutation combination portion of the course. May be by introducing some more example's. Cause i really had to search through internet for certain topics in order to get clarification on them.

However it was a great experience overall.

By Rishabh K

Aug 24, 2020

EXPLAINATIONS ARE NOT UPTO THE MARKS,I HAVE TO TAKE A LOOK TO YOUTUBE VIDEOS FOR UNDERSTANDING SOME CONCEPTS TO COMPLETE QUIZ.

By Ahmed E E A

Jul 7, 2020

combinatorics part was amazing but graph theory part needed too much extra clarification

By Cristian B

Apr 20, 2020

more empirical examples of real-world applications would have been appreciated

By Khader B S

Jun 30, 2020

few of the topics would have been explained nicely and with simple examples

By Chandan S

Jun 19, 2020

It's nice and it taught a lot about the graph with a touch of programming.

By Arockia P J B

Jun 17, 2020

Content is amazing, but explanations are average.

By 李冠霖

Aug 6, 2020

Lectures, quizzes and assignment descriptions are all lack of clarity. Also there's a lack of interaction with the TAs in the forum. Feel pretty frustrated taking the course. The blackboard presentation was good though which is the big reason to give the course one extra star.

By Egor

Apr 22, 2020

It is good for a higher school introductory course, but why it is in that specialization I don't understand. Also, it should be called intro to discrete math, there are NO ANALYZING SOCIAL GRAPHS in this course.

By Venkateswara R B

Oct 14, 2020

instructor voice and slang is not good.

By MD. A I S

Jul 28, 2020

Not a good course. I don't recommend it to anyone. The reasons are below :1 ) Don't fully cover topics 2) make topics complex unnecessary 3) course final programming assignment are so poor designed because of submission process. 4) i don't know how some people come with idea that combinatorics and graph theory are taught by some slides. very ridiculous decision because you can't teach mathematics without interactive writing. P.S : lightboard representation was great in probability week, they should try it in near future. I just wondering about those who are assigned in this master's course. a huge regret will come down to them. I planned to finish the whole specialization but after such horrendous experience, i quit this plan after finishing this course only.

By Zohir E

Jul 15, 2020

A lot of complicated properties and rules and mat demonstration without practical usage.

Basic information missing in the description of the Quiz and assignment.

By Priyank S

Aug 12, 2020

Pathethic course. Just hated the course, nothing to do with my expertise or what i plan to do by learning data science.