Back to Dog Emotion and Cognition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dog Emotion and Cognition by Duke University

Dog Emotion and Cognition will introduce you to the exciting new study of dog psychology, what the latest discoveries tell us about how dogs think and feel about us, and how we can use this new knowledge to further strengthen our relationship with our best friends....

DE
Dec 13, 2020

I learned valuable information about dogs. I can better understand the thought processes of my own dogs. I really like that the lecture slides were provided after the lectures, so I could review them.

LT
Aug 3, 2019

Great course with a lot of new information, not just about dogs but even domestication of other species, including humans. The predictability of aggression in humans would be an interesting next topic

76 - 100 of 1,145 Reviews for Dog Emotion and Cognition

By Maria M F R

Jun 6, 2016

Curso muy fácil de seguir, ameno e interesante. Además tiene un enlace a Dognition en el que se puede encontrar una gran variedad de actividades para nuestro mejor amigo y que proporciona, en caso de seguirlas, un perfil muy completo de tu perro.

Muy recomendable para todo aquel que quiera aprender un poco más sobre las emociones, cognición e inteligencia del perro, así como de su evolución desde el lobo.

By Vitória A S F

Mar 7, 2021

I took the course in March, 2021, after I had got interest in the possibility of understanding some behaviors of my dogs. I could learn more than expected: discarded or likely hypothesis about many phenomenons, a lot of experiments conducted by scientists around the world, behaviors of bonobos and chimpanzes, what is Citizen Science and an example of it, the dognition site. It was a great experience!

By Elizabeth G

Oct 22, 2016

The course was excellent - it was easy to follow/excellent content and presentation and a new respect to scientists who work very hard in obtaining verifiable data, which can benefit others. Hats off to Dr Hare and his Team; love your dedication and professionalism and your enthusiasm to extend this information to the citizens of this world. Heartfelt thanks to all concerned. Would love more :-)

By Georgios T

Jan 24, 2016

Very informative and science-based, FUN course. I really loved how Ilearned so much about generic animal cognition, beyond that of my beloved dogs.

Although a bit of a sales pitch made the beginning of this course a bit "meh", the instructor more than made up for it on later weeks. Suggestion: spread out the sales pitch a bit or focus it on it midway through the course, instead of the beginning. :)

By Sharon A

Jan 24, 2021

I found this course very interesting. As a dog trainer who is interested in behaviors and what drives them, I found this course had me thinking of new ways to approach those behaviors. Dognition is a fabulous way to get right into the head of your dog. I started recommending it to clients and dog trainers after I went through it with my own dog. The entire course was a fantastic experience.

By Linda-Sofia J

Nov 29, 2017

Informative and FUN course for anyone who wants to understand their dogs even further. Lots of low star reviews complaining about "marketing" too much of Dognition and Genius of Dogs, but I must say when taking the course and using both of them as extra materials, I gained lots of new insight. Dr. Brian Hare as the teacher was never boring to listen to which made the course even more satisfying.

By Nicole K

Nov 25, 2020

Super interesting and educational course! I came into this knowing quite a decent amount about dogs, behavior, and how they generally think, and this still taught me a ton of other amazing information. I can't learn enough! Thank you! PS. As someone who has Briards, I can't help but say that I LOVE that a photo of a Briard was used in one of the last week lectures to represent "herding breeds".

By Tarek

Apr 7, 2018

Really interesting course. My background is in health sciences and this course got me more interested in evolution than anything else I have come across in all my years. Very clear and accessible sharing of information. Great level of detail in lectures that gives a nice introduction without overloading students, while pointing to books and other readings for those who want to go more in depth.

By T G

Changed the view about dogs. highly useful for a veterinarian like me as we have to deal with hundreds of dogs every year in different difficult situations, and their owners. I always felt that dealing the owner is the biggest problem. Now I understood what could be the reason and how to handle it. Knowing canine friends in a better way will help to tell the owners why they are so like that.

By Tina V

Apr 30, 2020

I have been working with rescue and shelter dogs for the last 8 years. This course was so very insightful. Sometimes we think that the dog is difficult to work with and not a good learner, but perhaps the dog is thinking differently than we expect them to. I will assess situations differently now. I have also enjoyed working with my own adopted pup within the Dognition games. Thank you!

By Lindsey W

May 13, 2020

This course was a lot of fun. I was sad when it was over. I wish there were more courses in this topic. I had read Brian Hare's book, The Genius of Dogs, a couple years ago and wanted to explore more about canine cognition. This course reviews many ideas in his book with some additional topics. I would highly recommend reading his book for more details on the experiments and researchers.

By María G G

May 6, 2020

Un curso muy interesante. Entiendo que tiene la finalidad de presentar la metodología y el programa que presenta el libro y me siento muy agradecida de que haya sido ofreciendo esta propuesta didáctica realmente enriquecedora. Eso denota gran profesionalidad y ética en las personas que lo han organizado.

Enhorabuena! Participaré en el programa y buscaré el libro segurísimo.

Abrazos!

By Onkar S

Jan 21, 2017

While very canine in its specialization, the course keeps one aware of similarities we share with most sentient beings and marvel at forces and decisions of countless of our ancestors have taken to make us the species we are and also make us aware of the responsibilities towards our plant which provided te perfect conditions and others who share our home. Thank you for your work.

By Scott A

Jun 8, 2020

I absolutely loved it. I found Brian Hare's enthusiasm infectious. I loved the background to evolution and the comparative studies with different animals. As someone who has worked as a dog trainer for a number of years, this course has been like a software update for my brain. Now I need to figure out how to apply what I have learned for the better of the dogs that I meet.

By Meenakshi S

Jan 22, 2017

This course was not only absolutely fascinating, it gave me a scientific perspective that I had not previously acquired throughout the rest of my education, training and experience as a professional dog trainer. I now always consider and apply the principles of cognition to my evaluation, training and behavior modification of dogs. I look forward to the future of this research.

By Joanne N

Aug 13, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, and Dr. Hare's lectures were very informative and interesting. The course was well-organized and paced nicely. I did buy the text even though it was not required, and I was very glad that I did because it is very well-written and filled with great information. I would highly recommend this course to others. Thank you for offering it.

By Kerlley d S B

Jan 15, 2019

Estou gostando bastante do curso, tem muitas informações importantes que irão me auxiliar bastante no meu trabalho com cães.

Eu só gostaria que tivesse esse curso também em forma de pós-graduação (especialização).

Obrigada Duke University e Coursera por me darem essa bolsa e esse maravilhoso curso sobre os nossos queridos e amados cães!

Deus abençoe todos vocês!

By Vaishni S

Jun 23, 2020

This was a fun class to complete over the summer and especially when stay at home orders were in place. I have a dog so it was interesting how I could almost figure out what goes on in his head when doing certain activities. The quizzes were short and easy to follow along. They were also extremely helpful when wanting to add more information to your notes!

By Nicole G

Sep 15, 2015

This is a great class so far. I am enjoying taking a new look at dogs. It has been especially interesting looking at my dogs in a new way and applying what I have learned. I have found the incorporation of real life cognition experiments with apes and foxes a very interesting part of the course. I hope to be able to take more classes from Duke University.

By Wendy K

Jan 5, 2021

I absolutely LOVED this course. Prof Brian Hare is remarkable at explaining concepts. His lectures are well thought out. There are interesting videos and charts graphics to support his lectures. It closely follows the book. Dognition is fun to do! I would highly recommend this course, book and Dognition., I would take another course with Prof Brian Hare.

By Hanno H

Jan 26, 2017

This course is interesting and easy to follow. I was aware of his work through some of the articles he mentions throughout the course and would especially suggest this course as potentially interesting to people who have been reading some of the scientific literature (including Dr. Hare's publications). Well done, I would take a follow up course any time.

By Marco A

Dec 21, 2015

Very good course,

it gives an overview on some important aspects of dog (and human) evolution and cognition. Important work is going on at Duke University at the Dog Cognition Lab.

Dr. Hare is a very inspired person and scientist and his willing to share and go further in research and understanding about humans and canines is involving.

Highly recommended

By Amanda T

Jun 2, 2016

I am an ameteur dog trainer and this helped me out considerably in ways I can improve my interactions with my own dogs to make my training sessions be more productive. I'll be raising a litter of puppies soon and am looking forward to watching them grow and develop their own cognitive profiles so that I can make sure they all go to the best fit homes.

By Kelly H

Jul 29, 2019

Wonderful introductory course to dog emotion and cognition. Dr. Hare was a wonderful teacher, explaining challenging concepts in a very approachable way. Many experiments are references, as well as real world practices making the data and science approachable. Dr. Hare also puts much of the principals we're taught into action by the end of the class.