Back to Digital Signal Processing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Signal Processing by École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne

Digital Signal Processing is the branch of engineering that, in the space of just a few decades, has enabled unprecedented levels of interpersonal communication and of on-demand entertainment. By reworking the principles of electronics, telecommunication and computer science into a unifying paradigm, DSP is a the heart of the digital revolution that brought us CDs, DVDs, MP3 players, mobile phones and countless other devices. The goal, for students of this course, will be to learn the fundamentals of Digital Signal Processing from the ground up. Starting from the basic definition of a discrete-time signal, we will work our way through Fourier analysis, filter design, sampling, interpolation and quantization to build a DSP toolset complete enough to analyze a practical communication system in detail. Hands-on examples and demonstration will be routinely used to close the gap between theory and practice. To make the best of this class, it is recommended that you are proficient in basic calculus and linear algebra; several programming examples will be provided in the form of Python notebooks but you can use your favorite programming language to test the algorithms described in the course....

JA

Jul 02, 2017

Definitely an interesting course that is explained well. The math gets to a pretty high level after a few sections, but it still seems manageable to understand. I would recommend it for sure!

GC

Oct 02, 2018

A good course with awesome instructors, good for learning the basic level of signal processing. It will initiate you for more advanced levels of signal processing. Fun experience overall.

1 - 25 of 111 Reviews for Digital Signal Processing

By Roberto S

Feb 10, 2017

The best "beginner" digital signal course! waiting for a stochastic and adaptive signal processing course

By Vítor R

Feb 16, 2019

It is of my opinion that digital signal processing (DSP) in this day and age is an absolute must-have knowledge.

The concepts that stem from DSP are pervasive in all forms of sciences and engineering, and it is very important to someone who seeks personal and professional development in these areas.

Prandoni and Vetterli are very experienced and charismatic fellows that present this absolutely essential discipline in a very progressive and intuitive manner.

The additional content provided is at the same time entertaining and informational.

It is very noticeable how much works has been put in this course by these two guys.

I recommend it for everyone interested in DSP who either seeks to complement their knowledge or for those with some basic mathematical "baggage" who are interested.

By Haixu L

Apr 01, 2019

Good material, however, I found the quiz section to be disconnected with the material from time to time. More examples or practice problems will definitely help.

By Shruti K

Dec 10, 2018

I enjoyed studying this course! I would recommend it to anyone who's interested in Signal processing, since the material is very engaging, and most of the concepts are accompanied with a worked out example. The quizzes were challenging and I had to spend a good amount of time trying to good score. I'd recommend everyone to try the practice homeworks and the quizzes (even if you are just auditing) as I felt like they played an important part in helping me understand all concepts.

Great platform, great content, excellent instructors, highly recommended!

By Shengwei L

Aug 11, 2017

Pretty good illustrations! But kind of like a mixture of signals and systems, communication theories and DSP courses. Hope the assignments can be done in more languages like MATLAB or C.

By Liwang L

Jun 11, 2018

I'm a student from China.I have to say that this course is useful for me.FIve starts!

By Syed A A

Jan 13, 2017

The best course on Digital Signal Processing taught in the most coolest way :-)

By Eik U H

Jun 27, 2017

It was a long and hard way over tops of the hills and through the tales of DSP for me. I have often cursed my idea to take this course. But now, looking backward from the finish, I know, I love this course. Thank you very much.

By Sandeep B

Jan 07, 2019

Excellent course ! The math quickly builds up and the video lectures become insufficient. That's when the worth of the textbook, practice problems and references is realized and one is motivated to dig deep. The homework problems are aptly challenging too. Highly recommended.

By Denys K

Jun 24, 2019

Excellent course. I've enjoyed the challenge, and I've learned a lot.

By Gaurav C

Oct 02, 2018

By Jeff A

Jul 02, 2017

By Marco M

Apr 19, 2017

Excellent teaching of digital signal processing theory and techniques. Even form an engineering student who already has most on the material, is a very good review source.

By Pongrapee A

Jul 29, 2019

Some of the Mathematics equation is very hard to understand. It would be better if the basic understanding resource is provided. The notes in the course is too hard to understand.

By Anton D

Jun 26, 2019

Good DSP course. Lecture material is hard to follow though and some of the topics are only slightly covered. All in all, just following the course might not be enough to build a good understanding of the topics covered and the course may take longer time. Better support for quiz questions will benefit greatly to the course.

By Francisco R M

Aug 31, 2019

The course is very well structured, particularly for those who intend to use machine learning built upon features inspired by signal processing techniques, such as voice to text, signal classification etc. It is a very involved course and thorough study is needed at every week, passing the tests particularly Week 3, 6 and 8 is very challenging and requires thorough knowledge of the matter as well as strong knowledge of complex numbers and linear algebra (both of which will not be covered in the course). I personally, have a very strong statistics background but i suspect week 6 onward would need intimate knowledge of distributions as well (which again isnt covered in the course). The response on the forums from the instructors is poor at best so you are pretty much on your own. In addition, many of the problems in the assignments have vague arbitrary notations and make it very frustrating to go through, coupled with poor instructor feedback this hampered my progress on more than one occasion. YOU ALSO NEED TO KNOW PYTHON. Overall, a good course if you have a good mathematical background and python skills (i had both and it was still quite hard to do while working full time).

By David M

Feb 06, 2019

Maths is crazy hard. Too much theory. Too many coordinate systems shown.

By Abdullah A

Dec 26, 2018

This course is awesome it helped me a lot in my DSP course at my colleague .

By Douglas A

Jan 28, 2019

Great review of DSP, with many insightful explanations I hadn't seen in college.

By Y n

Feb 25, 2019

This course helped me to master signal and system and discover the mathematical and analysis aspects of digital signal processing. Thank you ! merci !

By RAHUL A

Mar 11, 2019

Very Interesting course

By Kanishka S

Jan 13, 2019

Very comprehensive course.

By RAJKUMAR B

Jan 15, 2019

Very good course. I have learnt more than I have in my Undergrad engineering DSP course.

By Chen N

Dec 02, 2018

Just so awesome!

By Wei L

Nov 16, 2018

This is a great course. Open a new view for me. Thank you very much !