Back to Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing by University of London

This course is for teachers to learn why some children have so much difficulty with reading and writing, often called 'dyslexia', and to learn more about best practice in teaching literacy to all in light of recent scientific discoveries. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

JP

Apr 27, 2020

This course gave me some further insights into how children with difficulties in reading and writing think and the processes they go through, along with some further methods to help them achieve.

Aug 03, 2019

I have gained a wealth of information and knowledge that is directly applicable with children with difficulties in reading and writing. The videos were very relevant and the resources valuable.

301 - 325 of 364 Reviews for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

By Tamerat A

Apr 20, 2017

E

By Tony T

Sep 10, 2016

I did this course as a parent of a dyslexic child. I thought it was brilliant and I made pages and pages of notes. It is well organised, engaging, and informative. I really liked the two presenters as well. They both seemed passionate about the topic and modeled good teaching in their explanations and advice. That said, I thought the assessment part of the course simply didn't work. It was far too narrow for anyone besides primary teachers and therefore excluded those who might be doing the course for other reasons. It doesn't matter to me, I don't need the certificate and I got a lot out of the course but for others it would be frustrating, I imagine. The quizzes too, for the most part, were a disaster. They were poorly written, confusing, and dishearteningly obscure. Otherwise, I loved this course and hope you will offer a follow up soon.

By Shaoli K

Oct 12, 2016

It was very helpful to take this course as it gave me an insight to understand and look closely at the indications which will guide me in the future to deal with children who are normally labelled as 'slow', 'not focused', 'has lack of concentration' etc. The course gives a detailed understanding towards the psychological aspects and directs teachers to engage and encourage such children.

I sure feel more equipped to handle such scenarios in the future. Would appreciate if more videos of real classroom training can be added! All the best!

By Eva K

Aug 22, 2020

I've done a few Coursera certificates, so I have a comparison. It is true that the lectures are monotonous and not enhances by many slides, and more hands-on activities would be welcome, but no one can deny that the content is thoroughly developed and you are getting the value worth your money. The course is informative and resources that you are getting, such as PDF files will be useful in your practice. So in context of what you take away was pretty satisfying to me.

By Yvonne Y

The peer assignments are quite a scam. All that I have to review are either not completed, not filled or just plainly uploaded to submit for the sake of it. If review and grade can be graded by professionals, it would make this course more credible. Right now, I doubt the credibility of the certs that can be issued from here. Other than that, the course materials and quizzes were very substantial

By Judy P

Dec 29, 2018

An OK course.

I felt that the material could have been presented in a less dry and more interesting manner. One of the professor's English was hard to understand and at times not so clear.

I did like that one can follow along as the professors presented and that one can download transcripts of what they said.

The information on technology interventions for dyslexia was interesting and informative.

By Ashleigh C R

Mar 31, 2020

I found this course insightful. I have completed all quizzes and worked through all the modules. Unfortunately, I have to extend my assignment from week 3, I am unable to observe a child as South Africa is in lockdown at the moment due to coronavirus. I look forward to completing this course and getting my certificate in the end.

By Daleen J v R

Aug 04, 2020

I am so grateful for the opportunity to complete this course. The content was so clearly explained and easy to implement from day 1. Thank you so much to the presenters for sharing their wealth of knowledge. This is going to make a significant difference in the classrooms I step into and change the lives of many children.

By Kirsty M H

Aug 19, 2018

The course content is excellent. I learned a lot. However, I found the marking for the peer reviews to be poor. It was very easy for people not to make much effort and to pass. This was disappointing as someone who really made the most of the course and put a lot of effort into it.

By Jeff G

Apr 02, 2019

A wonderful course, i found it hard to understand the French teachers accent and he often made mistakes which i found little unusual in an educational lecture. The content is great , the female lecturer explains things in a great way, understandable and interesting.

By christine W

Apr 06, 2019

I really enjoyed the course, it was very informative and interesting.

The videos were good and it was helpful to have the lectures in writing to read as well.

The extra reading resources were also very interesting.

Some of the quizzes were very challenging!

By Deanna W

Sep 08, 2019

This course had a lot of info that was useful but the videos were very long and boring. Maybe more visuals or different speakers would be a little more interesting. I also did not like the short answers for quizzes. Made the quizzes very difficult.

By Casey C

Oct 30, 2019

I learned a lot about dyslexia and other learning difficulties. The quizzes focused on specific information that often felt way too specific. Overall, it was a great addition to support my role as an elementary school teacher!

By Basma S

Oct 09, 2018

it was a challenging course it has a lot to be covered it has a lot of information that can help us as educator to improve our teaching skills and how to improve our one to one when we work with SEN(DYSLEXIA ) in learning .

By Ellen J

Oct 31, 2018

Beneficial to read about and view videos demonstrating techniques to use with dyslexic children. Would appreciate additional information supporting struggling students who are older, beyond elementary school.

By Sheola L

Apr 29, 2020

This course was extremely informative and packed with valuable information , However, I personally found the videos to be very dull and instead opted to read the texts below each video instead.