Back to Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing by University of London

This course is for teachers to learn why some children have so much difficulty with reading and writing, often called 'dyslexia', and to learn more about best practice in teaching literacy to all in light of recent scientific discoveries. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

JP
Apr 26, 2020

This course gave me some further insights into how children with difficulties in reading and writing think and the processes they go through, along with some further methods to help them achieve.

Aug 2, 2019

I have gained a wealth of information and knowledge that is directly applicable with children with difficulties in reading and writing. The videos were very relevant and the resources valuable.

51 - 75 of 430 Reviews for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

By Hend A M

Jan 4, 2019

Thanks to this Course sponsor, They teach me a lot in this amazing course , they teach me What are the difficulties of reading and writing?, How do I identify children with reading and writing difficulties?, How can I teach all subjects for this children?, How can I help these children overcome their difficulties in reading and writing? .

Thanks a lot for them

By María I A G

Jan 2, 2021

Excelente curso, aprendes a identificar signos de dislexia, reconocer las dificultades de aprendizaje en los diferentes ámbitos de la vida del escolar y aprendes sobre ayudas tecnológicas o metodologías que favorecen el aprendizaje de conciencia fonológica, principio alfabético entre otros aspectos relevantes de apoyar en casos de dificultades de aprendizaje.

By Kathy S

Nov 9, 2018

A great class for both professionals and for parents. I was able to add to my knowledge of challenges some children face in learning how to read. I had first hand experience as the mother of a child with reading challenges, but this class added to my understanding and gave me practical tools I can use with the children I tutor in reading. Well worth the time.

By NEETHU R K

Aug 10, 2018

This course gave me much more information than what I have expected, I really thank Dr. Vincent and Jenny for giving right guidelines. You guys are doing great job.

My only request is that, now the technology is changing rapidly so coming out more specifically on it and how to train Dyslexics will be really helpful for teachers like us.....

Regards,

Neethu.

By Lily L

Feb 18, 2020

What a great experience taking this course! I really enjoyed learning more about how I can support students in the classroom with learning disabilities. This directly applies to my profession as a Special Education Teacher. I am excited to put this knowledge into practice and test some of the specific strategies I learned in the course with my students.

By Rebecca B

Jan 21, 2019

This course has helped me to identify key strategies to help students of all ages become aware of their learning. Teaching and learning have to be deliberate courses of action & not all students learn alike. Taking the necessary time to help students with phonics earlier in their academics paves the way for a lifetime of learning rather than correction.

By Josie L

Feb 4, 2018

I've thoroughly enjoyed studying this course. The content was informative and well-organised and well-presented. and very relevant to my field as an Academic Support Teacher in an English Curriculum International School. I will recommend this to colleagues and others teaching and supporting children who may have difficulties in reading and writing.

By Irena D

Aug 2, 2020

Really interesting and useful course. It has improved my psychological and pedagogical knowledges. The cousre was well structured, systematic and practical. Course contains many profitable links to websites and video lessons concirning cousre topics. Great appreciation to our tutors Vincent and Jenny for sharing their experience about dislexia.

By Susan K

Aug 13, 2020

i really learnt a lot from the course. Thank you I have learnt a lot in the 6 week course. it will really help me out in my line of duty I'm looking forward to another course . and I would also want to obtain a certificate on my already completed course.

A lot of thanks to Dr.Jenny and Dr. Vincent and to coursera at large.

Regards,

Susan Kirui

By Margarida F S

Feb 20, 2020

In a very clear explanation, this course gave me the information I needed to work with struggling readers, but also gave a landscape of the importance of multisensory teaching, many strategies to work with and many information that can be consulted at any time, as well as computer aids for reading, writing, comprehension and metacognition.

By Catherine M

Oct 2, 2020

Think the course is very good for online learning and is self-paced which is great. Content is great to help you understand how the brain is wired and works and how to help children of all ages with learning concerns. Found it very interesting and relevant for teachers to help students with dyslexia with helpful tips to help all students.

By Faiza H

Dec 9, 2020

This course explains in detail about what dyslexia is and how to identify dyslexic type difficulties. This course teaches us not to give diagnosis but to look out for any learning difficulties that may mirror the symptoms of dyslexia. This course has helped me learn how to teach children with dyslexia in terms of reading and writing.

By NaomiBarnes

Mar 2, 2018

This course has been fantastic providing detailed information about current understandings of how dyslexic people learn and guidance in identifying indicators of dyslexia. It has given excellent resources and ideas for assisting dyslexic students and has greatly increased my confidence to be able to work successfully in this area.

By Beth G

Nov 1, 2015

As a teacher, I found this course to be most helpful. Especially because as I got the to section on co-morbidities, one of my own students was diagnosed with Discalculia and had I not been doing this course I would have had a very limitdd understanding with which to guide the child's parents, as well as assist the child herself.

By Pia v d B

Aug 31, 2019

I have learnt a lot, very clear and up to date information that every person working with children with dyslexia sholud know. I have gained a lot of knoweldge, great examples and techinques. fI eel that I understand better everything related to dyslexia. Thanks for sharing all this information and to have it available worldwide.

By Jonas G

Mar 1, 2021

The course seems to follow its own advice for using multisensory learning, for the most part. I was able to review quite a lot of the information because of its frequency throughout the course. Some quiz questions seem a little vague or semantic. I would like to be able to review the quizzes and add them to this feedback.

By Kim H

Apr 1, 2018

A very useful course. I found it challenging, well presented and practical. I have already begun to implement some of the ideas on the course with my students who have reading difficulties. A wealth of information was provided. I will be going back over my notes and referring to the detailed resources provided.

Thanks

By Shawna H

Feb 10, 2017

This course is wonderful. I have 3 kids with dyslexia. I am learning so much about characteristics, additional difficulties and strategies to support them. I recommend this class to everyone. Make sure you have a notebook you will have a ton of notes. Best Coursera course I have taken as far as information goes.

By Irene G G

Nov 11, 2016

Absolutely wonderful overview of how to support poor readers or dyslexics. Great for teachers and parents who want to learn the nuts and bolts of dyslexia in order to help their students/children read. Especially loved the book on how the brain learns to read! Easy to understand and tremendously interesting.

By Alexandra D

Jul 31, 2017

A thorough course that provides a comprehensive overview of the theory behind why some children struggle. The course provides clear guidelines and examples of best practice for providing intervention that will support struggling students to develop the necessary skills to be able to read. Highly recommended.

By PADMAJA K

Jul 17, 2020

Instructions are very clear and precise. This course has given me a scientific approach to understand the learning difficulties of children and adults and also provided guidance, necessary links and useful technology .I am grateful for the course providers and instructors Jenny Thompson and Vincent Goetry.

By Tahirih S

Dec 4, 2020

I really enjoyed learning from the course, lectures, and assignments. The learning helped me update my understanding in assisting children with reading and writing difficulties, as well as updating my application of tools and techniques in my classroom. Thank you for offering your knowledge so generously!

By Mette D P

May 9, 2020

As a dyslexic person taking this course, I must say it had a whole lot of information that I myself had never gotten even though I just finished college last summer with the stat support from my country. This course is amazing! And I can’t wait to get to use all the things I learned with myself and kids!

By Melanie R

May 4, 2018

This course was extremely instructive. I'm currently studying to become a language arts teacher and I will most certainly take into account much of the information and advice provided. I think this course might be helpful to educators but also to parents and medical practitioners.

I highly recommend it.

By Caroline S

Jun 29, 2020

Great course! Much of it I could relate with strategies with students that aren't only children but also adults. The lessons cover much about an understanding background and research which is great and it evolves to real-life demonstrations and tips for us where we can continue within the hard work.