Back to Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing by University of London

This course is for teachers to learn why some children have so much difficulty with reading and writing, often called 'dyslexia', and to learn more about best practice in teaching literacy to all in light of recent scientific discoveries. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

JP
Apr 26, 2020

This course gave me some further insights into how children with difficulties in reading and writing think and the processes they go through, along with some further methods to help them achieve.

Aug 2, 2019

I have gained a wealth of information and knowledge that is directly applicable with children with difficulties in reading and writing. The videos were very relevant and the resources valuable.

376 - 400 of 441 Reviews for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

By Eva K

Aug 22, 2020

I've done a few Coursera certificates, so I have a comparison. It is true that the lectures are monotonous and not enhances by many slides, and more hands-on activities would be welcome, but no one can deny that the content is thoroughly developed and you are getting the value worth your money. The course is informative and resources that you are getting, such as PDF files will be useful in your practice. So in context of what you take away was pretty satisfying to me.

By Mrs C

Jan 4, 2021

I really enjoyed doing this course. It helped me understand my pupils and their experience which was good.

I found the practical videos really good.

The peer reviews were also great as it was interesting to see how everyone did the same task in a different way. It also felt like we were part of something great.

Some of the questions in the quiz, especially the language ones were quite tricky!

I fee really proud of myself, so thanks!

By Keri-lee M

Feb 21, 2021

Loved the material and found the lectures informative and easy to follow. This was a helpful course that has taught me a lot about reading difficulties in children, as well as how to help them with practical examples to use within my classroom. My only negative about the course is that I would have liked for answers to the quiz to be shown after completing the course, that way I am able to see where I've gone wrong.

By Yvonne Y

The peer assignments are quite a scam. All that I have to review are either not completed, not filled or just plainly uploaded to submit for the sake of it. If review and grade can be graded by professionals, it would make this course more credible. Right now, I doubt the credibility of the certs that can be issued from here. Other than that, the course materials and quizzes were very substantial

By Judy P

Dec 29, 2018

An OK course.

I felt that the material could have been presented in a less dry and more interesting manner. One of the professor's English was hard to understand and at times not so clear.

I did like that one can follow along as the professors presented and that one can download transcripts of what they said.

The information on technology interventions for dyslexia was interesting and informative.

By Colleen S

Feb 5, 2021

Excellent course but a bit dated in some places. Updated references and section on technology would be helpful. Nonetheless, I learned a lot, and I will be able to put this into action in my classroom. As a secondary teacher, I am much better informed about why some students struggle to read and write, and a range of strategies and scaffolds to help them. I would recommend this course.

By Le'Anda J

Nov 9, 2020

Personally, the course was good. I really have learned a lot in this course, such as learning new strategies that will enable student's reading skills; however, I have issues with the quizzes. There were most questions that were not part of the lecture so I was having trouble with most of those questions. Overall, the course was good.

By Ashleigh C R

Mar 31, 2020

I found this course insightful. I have completed all quizzes and worked through all the modules. Unfortunately, I have to extend my assignment from week 3, I am unable to observe a child as South Africa is in lockdown at the moment due to coronavirus. I look forward to completing this course and getting my certificate in the end.

By Daleen J v R

Mar 18, 2021

I am so grateful for the opportunity to complete this course. The content was so clearly explained and easy to implement from day 1. Thank you so much to the presenters for sharing their wealth of knowledge. This is going to make a significant difference in the classrooms I step into and change the lives of many children.

By Lori P

Apr 9, 2021

This course provides great resources for understanding the nature of Dyslexia and its' associated learning difficulties. It also provides a basic introduction into the structure of the English language and language interventions for Dyslexic children. The assignment rubrics could be more explicit however.

By Zoe

Mar 17, 2021

I loved this course, I never truly understood just how complex the learning of a language was till now. The videos were extremely helpful, especially the ones within a classroom. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to help a child or adult with their reading and writing difficulties.

By Kirsty M H

Aug 19, 2018

The course content is excellent. I learned a lot. However, I found the marking for the peer reviews to be poor. It was very easy for people not to make much effort and to pass. This was disappointing as someone who really made the most of the course and put a lot of effort into it.

By Jeff G

Apr 2, 2019

A wonderful course, i found it hard to understand the French teachers accent and he often made mistakes which i found little unusual in an educational lecture. The content is great , the female lecturer explains things in a great way, understandable and interesting.

By christine W

Apr 6, 2019

I really enjoyed the course, it was very informative and interesting.

The videos were good and it was helpful to have the lectures in writing to read as well.

The extra reading resources were also very interesting.

Some of the quizzes were very challenging!

By Deanna W

Sep 8, 2019

This course had a lot of info that was useful but the videos were very long and boring. Maybe more visuals or different speakers would be a little more interesting. I also did not like the short answers for quizzes. Made the quizzes very difficult.

By Casey C

Oct 29, 2019

I learned a lot about dyslexia and other learning difficulties. The quizzes focused on specific information that often felt way too specific. Overall, it was a great addition to support my role as an elementary school teacher!

By Basma S

Oct 9, 2018

it was a challenging course it has a lot to be covered it has a lot of information that can help us as educator to improve our teaching skills and how to improve our one to one when we work with SEN(DYSLEXIA ) in learning .

By Ellen J

Oct 31, 2018

Beneficial to read about and view videos demonstrating techniques to use with dyslexic children. Would appreciate additional information supporting struggling students who are older, beyond elementary school.

By Emma A

Apr 16, 2021

I found this course to be very informative and relative to what I am currently studying. I think there were some area's that I needed to look into and do more research as there were some foreign ideas.

By Sheola L

Apr 29, 2020

This course was extremely informative and packed with valuable information , However, I personally found the videos to be very dull and instead opted to read the texts below each video instead.

By Lisa K

Dec 1, 2015

This is a very nice overview of the research behind dyslexia. I would have liked additional teaching suggestions, rather than having the class be primarily about research and screening.

By Holly S S

Apr 19, 2018

Easy to follow, clear resources with scientific approaches to teaching. I particularly liked Vincent's approaches to actual intervention with examples of in classroom teaching.

By Katie S

Nov 1, 2018

I don't think that some questions are relevant to the week. There could be more questions added to review more material of the course. However, I really did enjoy the course.

By Miklós A

Mar 5, 2018

A very important course, delivered generously and with a lot of care. It's not the best organized course I've taken, but it is worth all the work to get to the end of it.