Back to Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing by University of London

This course is for teachers to learn why some children have so much difficulty with reading and writing, often called 'dyslexia', and to learn more about best practice in teaching literacy to all in light of recent scientific discoveries. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

JP

Apr 27, 2020

This course gave me some further insights into how children with difficulties in reading and writing think and the processes they go through, along with some further methods to help them achieve.

KM

May 20, 2019

A very comprehensive course that explained the fundamentals of dyslexia, learning, reading, and writing in youth. It built on itself week by week. Work load was fairly light and easy to review.

76 - 100 of 328 Reviews for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

By 汤灵芝

Sep 08, 2018

This course is a bit challenging for non-English native speakers but is has lots of useful knowledge and resources for me to learn. It is great that this course provide not only theoretical foundations but also show me the practical part.

By Kati C

Oct 18, 2015

This is the best course I've ever done on Coursera. It's not just watching some videos, but actually studying the topic and getting challenged. I'm taking so much away for my work. Thanks a lot for all this enthusiasm and professionalism!

By Rachel W

Jun 21, 2020

Very thought-provoking and practical course that provides a theoretical foundation regarding psychological processes of reading, and how educators can use multi-sensory pedagogies to support students with specific learning difficulties!

By Attia H

Oct 06, 2019

An excellent course that introduces you to Dylexia. It teaches the many principles and teaching strategies to support dyslexic students. It underpinned the practical experience I already had working in special education needs. Thank you

By Sally R

Oct 20, 2016

I found this course extremely helpful. I was able to build on my existing knowledge and feel more confident in talking to the teachers and parents regarding my students who are facing difficulties in literacy and in particular reading.

By Nancy-Anne R

Jan 08, 2020

I have learnt such a lot and hopefully will be able to support and help children with learning difficulties. I will also look to completing a course for older children.

Thank you for all the hard work that you put into these courses.

By Petra S

May 23, 2017

Very interesting and useful course .Based on thorough research and studies,i.e. grounded in good theory.Excellent take -away strategies to use and implement to help children/adults who need extra support with reading and writing.

By Pooja K

May 13, 2020

The course is quite comprehensive and full-on. Both the lecturers are knowledgeable and have quoted good examples. A good course resourse wise too. I wish UCL can come up something like this on ADHD, Dyscalculia and Dysgraphia.

By Annika S

May 02, 2020

This was a very interesting and well designed course. I feel like I am equipped to support children with reading and writing difficulties and have gained valuable theoretical as well as practical knowledge regarding dyslexia.

By Kizzy V K

Sep 17, 2019

I learnt quite a lot! I am able to implement multi-sensory techniques in my Foreign language classroom. This course has opened my eyes to the difficulties struggling learners face and has given me tools to start helping them.

By Ute S

Mar 05, 2018

I'm not a teacher, but a home educating parent of a child with difficulties in reading and writing and I have learned so much that I can apply with my son. I'm already feeling that it's making a big difference. Thank you!

By Neeraj N

Feb 10, 2019

I never had opportunity to learn about dyslexia until I enrolled for this course. The selection of reading material, video lectures and the sessions with children in the course carved a deep learning experience for me.

By Aikaterini X

May 08, 2018

This course was really helpful. Both, theoritical and practical, approaches become a great tool in everyday strugle to support children with difficulties. I totally recommend it for every educator and parent.

By Anjum H G

Feb 03, 2018

This was a new area to me and a challenge, and at the same time very informative and fun! I am very interested in this field and have created the following FB page: https://www.facebook.com/SmartbutScattered/

By Schella M G M

Jun 04, 2020

This course is very informative and helpful because it gives a thorough explanation and a great overview of the course by showing some practical application on how to support the children's individual needs.

By Adriana Z

May 01, 2020

I enjoyed the course. I like the way it was organized. I would like to have seen at the end of the course, after I receivethe certificates the correct answers that I missed missed questions from the quizzes.

By Jade K A F d S

Great opportunity to to achieve such understanding in the area of reading and writing. Excellent explanation surrounding the dyslexia and barriers faced by many learners, mainly children in the first years.

By Miyuki S

Apr 28, 2020

Involving technical terms and linguistic background information before entering classroom strategies. It was a heavy and down parts, challenging course but I enjoyed diversity of instructions and material.

By Brian M C

Oct 28, 2016

A wonderful, well organized, and very informative course. Dr. Jenny and Dr. Vincent have presented the course in a very simple and engaging manner. There are plenty of demonstrations that are very helpful.

By Lara V P d C

May 25, 2017

Excellent course, with highly relevant content and great teachers. Good balance between theory, practical examples and exercises. Now that I've just finished, I feel like starting it again.

By Christina V

Apr 14, 2020

Really useful and interesting course. All methods and strategies provided were clear, helpful and easily achievable in the educational environment. Definitely recommended to all teachers.

By Hemalatha M

Oct 16, 2019

It is a very comprehensive course and the course material is very interesting and self directional.I have been very much benefited by this course as a teacher educator.

Hemalatha Mallappa.

By Emily R G

Apr 26, 2020

Great course! Very thorough with lots of engaging material that covers both the science behind dyslexia and practical approaches to supporting those who live with it. Highly recommended.

By Gary E M

Nov 02, 2018

Most importantly for me were the many lectures and methods that I can use to help the student who encounter difficulties with composition, spelling, reading and importantly, comprension.

By Ana L

Mar 05, 2020

I´m really satisfied with this course. Excellent. It helped me a lot to understand my child and to help her in the way she learns. Thank you so much for all the information you gave me.