Back to Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing by University of London

This course is for teachers to learn why some children have so much difficulty with reading and writing, often called 'dyslexia', and to learn more about best practice in teaching literacy to all in light of recent scientific discoveries. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

JP
Apr 26, 2020

This course gave me some further insights into how children with difficulties in reading and writing think and the processes they go through, along with some further methods to help them achieve.

KM
May 19, 2019

A very comprehensive course that explained the fundamentals of dyslexia, learning, reading, and writing in youth. It built on itself week by week. Work load was fairly light and easy to review.

76 - 100 of 392 Reviews for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

By Hazel M

Sep 20, 2020

if people want to lean how to take care of kids with learning difficulties ..or hoe to identify...this is worth it...its the best course with examples and exams n it teaches u hoe u have to be with such kids in how delicately u have to treat them ...this is the best course thank you

By Marilyn M

Jan 29, 2016

I haven't quite completed this course yet (the end is in sight!) but I want to report how challenging and worthwhile it has been. I have had a lot of my questions answered and I am inspired to read and review the content again as I am sure I will understand a lot more. Thank you.

By Abla A

Oct 25, 2017

This course was great as an introduction for dyslexia. There were also many great suggestions regarding how to support them and valuable resources mentioned. I hope to continue learning more about dyslexia and possibly becoming a specialist tutor soon after finishing this course.

By Laura M

May 7, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. Very informative and easy to follow. I feel much more confident in supporting children with reading and writing difficulties by being able to plan and conduct suitable activities, as well as detect some of the difficulties the child may be facing.

By Gayathri B

Apr 9, 2020

Helped me to gain in-depth knowledge about Dyslexia symptoms, brain processes, assessment details and the devastating impact it has on children's learning abilities. The intervention strategies and the practical lessons through videos- great support for teachers and educators!

By Deborah H

Jul 27, 2020

This course was very enjoyable as well as challenging. As a reading interventionist in the United States I was very curious to see what the UK, France and other countries recommended for working with struggling readers and those at-risk for dyslexia. Thank you so much.

By Anna P

Nov 12, 2017

I have really enjoyed this course and have found it extremely useful in terms of my professional development. I have learnt such a lot in only 6 weeks and now feel much more confident and better equipped skill wise to support pupils with reading and writing difficulties.

By SUJATHA S

Jun 25, 2020

The course is absolutely interesting and very informative .A special Thanks to Mr.Vincent and Ms Jenny for making this course an enriching one .'Teaching the brain to read' is a very valuable resource. I would recommend this course for every teacher.

Thanks Coursera .

By Natalie C

Nov 12, 2017

Great balance of theory and suggestions for improving practice. Every teacher should undertake this course - what a huge difference it would make to the identification and understanding of pupils with Dyslexia (dyslexic traits), the progress they could make and their

By Stefania S

Oct 15, 2018

This course was one of the most informative courses I have ever completed. It is obvious that the instructors have passion for what they do and are experts in their field. I will surely recommend this course to other educators. Congratulations for the amazing work.

By Tatiana B

Apr 14, 2020

Great Course! I'm a speech Therapist and work with non-English children, but now have more and more native-speaking client, so this course was very valuable for me - now I have a clear picture what to do. I also learn some interesting technics to work with d

By valdine

Oct 2, 2015

Excellent! Incredibly rich lectures, knowledgeable staff/instructors and great resources provided. I learned a great deal from participants as well in the discussion forum from students all over the world. Thank you so much for providing this opportunity.

By Maria C R

Aug 20, 2019

Very helpful and educational, especially if you are working with children or if you have children yourself. The course will provide you with the necessary tools to help support your children if you notice that they have difficulties in reading and writing.

By Courtney W

Apr 3, 2020

I completed this course for university, it was very valuable and informative and expanded my knowledge in reading and writing difficulties and how to better support learners. I would recommend this to all educational psychologists, teachers and parents.

By Aleksandr V

Apr 1, 2018

I'm absolutely amazed by this opportunity to learn about dyslexia and its "siblings"and also to have access to practical advices (a rare case these days!) in order to help my students. Many thanks to all people involved in developing of this course.

By Conde C

Oct 31, 2020

The course gave me a new perspective about those who have difficulties in reading. It is about providing a wider learning latitude for me in translating the pedagogy into action of making a big difference in the lives of those at-risk in reading.

By NINA B G

Oct 9, 2017

Hard to understand at times because some of the quiz questions didn't match what was presented. Had to infer quite a bit and interpret what the question asked. Otherwise, helpful in understanding and learning how to accommodate dyslexic learners.

By Simon M

Jan 12, 2017

The course presents you with clear and structured information and guidance about supporting students facing specific types of learning difficulties. The quizzes are a good way to identify knowledge gaps and prompted me to seek clarification.

By Traudel N

Apr 9, 2020

A very informative and well discussed course supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing, dyslexia.

Thank you, Jenny and Vincent for all the valuable information shared on this course.

I thoroughly enjoyed doing this course.

By 汤灵芝

Sep 7, 2018

This course is a bit challenging for non-English native speakers but is has lots of useful knowledge and resources for me to learn. It is great that this course provide not only theoretical foundations but also show me the practical part.

By Kati C

Oct 18, 2015

This is the best course I've ever done on Coursera. It's not just watching some videos, but actually studying the topic and getting challenged. I'm taking so much away for my work. Thanks a lot for all this enthusiasm and professionalism!

By Rachel W

Jun 21, 2020

Very thought-provoking and practical course that provides a theoretical foundation regarding psychological processes of reading, and how educators can use multi-sensory pedagogies to support students with specific learning difficulties!

By Attia H

Oct 6, 2019

An excellent course that introduces you to Dylexia. It teaches the many principles and teaching strategies to support dyslexic students. It underpinned the practical experience I already had working in special education needs. Thank you

By Sally R

Oct 20, 2016

I found this course extremely helpful. I was able to build on my existing knowledge and feel more confident in talking to the teachers and parents regarding my students who are facing difficulties in literacy and in particular reading.

By Nancy-Anne R

Jan 8, 2020

I have learnt such a lot and hopefully will be able to support and help children with learning difficulties. I will also look to completing a course for older children.

Thank you for all the hard work that you put into these courses.