Back to Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing by University of London

This course is for teachers to learn why some children have so much difficulty with reading and writing, often called 'dyslexia', and to learn more about best practice in teaching literacy to all in light of recent scientific discoveries. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

JP
Apr 26, 2020

This course gave me some further insights into how children with difficulties in reading and writing think and the processes they go through, along with some further methods to help them achieve.

KM
May 19, 2019

A very comprehensive course that explained the fundamentals of dyslexia, learning, reading, and writing in youth. It built on itself week by week. Work load was fairly light and easy to review.

101 - 125 of 440 Reviews for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

By Conde C

Oct 31, 2020

The course gave me a new perspective about those who have difficulties in reading. It is about providing a wider learning latitude for me in translating the pedagogy into action of making a big difference in the lives of those at-risk in reading.

By NINA B G

Oct 9, 2017

Hard to understand at times because some of the quiz questions didn't match what was presented. Had to infer quite a bit and interpret what the question asked. Otherwise, helpful in understanding and learning how to accommodate dyslexic learners.

By Fabriene P

Feb 4, 2021

Really interesting and well structured course. Excellent introduction to the challenges of dyslexia with hands on advice for teachers starting out or those wishing to improve their work with students who present learning difficulties in reading.

By Simon M

Jan 12, 2017

The course presents you with clear and structured information and guidance about supporting students facing specific types of learning difficulties. The quizzes are a good way to identify knowledge gaps and prompted me to seek clarification.

By Traudel N

Apr 9, 2020

A very informative and well discussed course supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing, dyslexia.

Thank you, Jenny and Vincent for all the valuable information shared on this course.

I thoroughly enjoyed doing this course.

By 汤灵芝

Sep 7, 2018

This course is a bit challenging for non-English native speakers but is has lots of useful knowledge and resources for me to learn. It is great that this course provide not only theoretical foundations but also show me the practical part.

By Kati C

Oct 18, 2015

This is the best course I've ever done on Coursera. It's not just watching some videos, but actually studying the topic and getting challenged. I'm taking so much away for my work. Thanks a lot for all this enthusiasm and professionalism!

By Rachel W

Jun 21, 2020

Very thought-provoking and practical course that provides a theoretical foundation regarding psychological processes of reading, and how educators can use multi-sensory pedagogies to support students with specific learning difficulties!

By Attia H

Oct 6, 2019

An excellent course that introduces you to Dylexia. It teaches the many principles and teaching strategies to support dyslexic students. It underpinned the practical experience I already had working in special education needs. Thank you

By Sally R

Oct 20, 2016

I found this course extremely helpful. I was able to build on my existing knowledge and feel more confident in talking to the teachers and parents regarding my students who are facing difficulties in literacy and in particular reading.

By Nancy-Anne R

Jan 8, 2020

I have learnt such a lot and hopefully will be able to support and help children with learning difficulties. I will also look to completing a course for older children.

Thank you for all the hard work that you put into these courses.

By Petra S

May 23, 2017

Very interesting and useful course .Based on thorough research and studies,i.e. grounded in good theory.Excellent take -away strategies to use and implement to help children/adults who need extra support with reading and writing.

By Hency S

Apr 30, 2021

I've been an instructor for over 20 years and I'm very excited about this course because it's really informative. I may not be as sharp as a kinfe with 20 years of experience, but I have sharpened my skills through this course.

By Pooja K

May 13, 2020

The course is quite comprehensive and full-on. Both the lecturers are knowledgeable and have quoted good examples. A good course resourse wise too. I wish UCL can come up something like this on ADHD, Dyscalculia and Dysgraphia.

By Sharon R

Jan 10, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It was a bit of refresher for me and there was definitely some new learning too. I would defiantly recommend it to teachers and learning support staff who work with children and young people.

By Annika S

May 2, 2020

This was a very interesting and well designed course. I feel like I am equipped to support children with reading and writing difficulties and have gained valuable theoretical as well as practical knowledge regarding dyslexia.

By Kizzy V K

Sep 16, 2019

I learnt quite a lot! I am able to implement multi-sensory techniques in my Foreign language classroom. This course has opened my eyes to the difficulties struggling learners face and has given me tools to start helping them.

By Ute S

Mar 4, 2018

I'm not a teacher, but a home educating parent of a child with difficulties in reading and writing and I have learned so much that I can apply with my son. I'm already feeling that it's making a big difference. Thank you!

By Neeraj N

Feb 10, 2019

I never had opportunity to learn about dyslexia until I enrolled for this course. The selection of reading material, video lectures and the sessions with children in the course carved a deep learning experience for me.

By Atanica V

Dec 9, 2020

A very educational and informative course. Thanks to all the lectures for making the course simple and easy to understand. Thanks to all the persons who make this course available to me to improve my teaching skills.

By Verônica d S M

Dec 22, 2020

Great course. Full of solid content and very attentive teachers. My favorite aspect is the bridge between theoretical discussions and practices, which helped me to build my confidence. I definitely recommend it!

By Katerina X

May 8, 2018

This course was really helpful. Both, theoritical and practical, approaches become a great tool in everyday strugle to support children with difficulties. I totally recommend it for every educator and parent.

By Anjum H G

Feb 3, 2018

This was a new area to me and a challenge, and at the same time very informative and fun! I am very interested in this field and have created the following FB page: https://www.facebook.com/SmartbutScattered/

By Schella M G M

Jun 4, 2020

This course is very informative and helpful because it gives a thorough explanation and a great overview of the course by showing some practical application on how to support the children's individual needs.

By Adriana Z

May 1, 2020

I enjoyed the course. I like the way it was organized. I would like to have seen at the end of the course, after I receivethe certificates the correct answers that I missed missed questions from the quizzes.