Back to Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing by University of London

This course is for teachers to learn why some children have so much difficulty with reading and writing, often called 'dyslexia', and to learn more about best practice in teaching literacy to all in light of recent scientific discoveries. Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes...

Aug 03, 2019

I have gained a wealth of information and knowledge that is directly applicable with children with difficulties in reading and writing. The videos were very relevant and the resources valuable.

KM

May 20, 2019

A very comprehensive course that explained the fundamentals of dyslexia, learning, reading, and writing in youth. It built on itself week by week. Work load was fairly light and easy to review.

201 - 225 of 234 Reviews for Supporting children with difficulties in reading and writing

By John F

Jan 05, 2019

Overall I greatly enjoyed the content of the course and got a lot out of the videos, readings and resources included. I did feel that the final exam did not feature enough questions pertaining to the main focus of the course including signs of dyslexia, strategies to assist students with dyslexia and terminology. Also the two assessment tasks did not have a clear marking criteria so in both cases we were required to include specific terminology or a specific element of the course content that we were never explicitly told to use in the assessment and thus students marks suffered for not including these specifics. Thank you overall for a very engaging course. I truly feel that I am now ready to apply the strategies learnt in this course in the classroom to the benefit of my students.

By Lisa W

Jan 11, 2016

This course gave me a great insight into how the mind of my dyslexic son works and good hints to help him succeed in the classroom.

By SANDRA T

Mar 07, 2016

This course has been really helpful in forming my views in many arena especially dyslexia of course.

a Big Thank You for reforming my views.

By Mohammed O M

Apr 03, 2018

Very informative and helpful course to undertake. Thank you

By Jennifer C

Jan 08, 2018

lots of useful info and references to helpful websites. information/strategies to help guide and teach you how to adapt your teaching to accommodate all learners

By Holly S S

Apr 19, 2018

Easy to follow, clear resources with scientific approaches to teaching. I particularly liked Vincent's approaches to actual intervention with examples of in classroom teaching.

By Andrea I C L

Mar 31, 2018

Provide more specific instructions for assignments

By Tony T

Sep 10, 2016

I did this course as a parent of a dyslexic child. I thought it was brilliant and I made pages and pages of notes. It is well organised, engaging, and informative. I really liked the two presenters as well. They both seemed passionate about the topic and modeled good teaching in their explanations and advice. That said, I thought the assessment part of the course simply didn't work. It was far too narrow for anyone besides primary teachers and therefore excluded those who might be doing the course for other reasons. It doesn't matter to me, I don't need the certificate and I got a lot out of the course but for others it would be frustrating, I imagine. The quizzes too, for the most part, were a disaster. They were poorly written, confusing, and dishearteningly obscure. Otherwise, I loved this course and hope you will offer a follow up soon.

By Shaoli K

Oct 12, 2016

It was very helpful to take this course as it gave me an insight to understand and look closely at the indications which will guide me in the future to deal with children who are normally labelled as 'slow', 'not focused', 'has lack of concentration' etc. The course gives a detailed understanding towards the psychological aspects and directs teachers to engage and encourage such children.

I sure feel more equipped to handle such scenarios in the future. Would appreciate if more videos of real classroom training can be added! All the best!

By Brenda C

Jun 15, 2018

Good course, enjoyed it. In my opinion, it would be improved by a video specifically on all sounding our phonic sounds properly.

By Miklós A

Mar 05, 2018

A very important course, delivered generously and with a lot of care. It's not the best organized course I've taken, but it is worth all the work to get to the end of it.

By Fatema M

Sep 03, 2015

It's interesting,,,

By Abdulaziz H F (

Dec 21, 2017

Absolutely it is a vital course for teachers like me. This course is very important because it helps teachers to recognise some of their students with dyslexia

By Lisa K

Dec 01, 2015

This is a very nice overview of the research behind dyslexia. I would have liked additional teaching suggestions, rather than having the class be primarily about research and screening.

By Jessica Z

Mar 05, 2017

This course provides a good overview of the topic.

By Afnan A M

Aug 12, 2017

helpful but it doesn't give us the authority to determine which children are dyslexic and which are not.

By Michelle I

Nov 02, 2015

A very very helpful course that gives practical solutions in a classroom and school-wide setting. It was structured well and easy to follow. If I had one comment, it would be that some of the quizzes did not line up with the course so well (you had to study ahead to answer questions). Other than this, really worth the amount of time spent studying!

By Kirsty M H

Aug 19, 2018

The course content is excellent. I learned a lot. However, I found the marking for the peer reviews to be poor. It was very easy for people not to make much effort and to pass. This was disappointing as someone who really made the most of the course and put a lot of effort into it.

By Basma S

Oct 09, 2018

it was a challenging course it has a lot to be covered it has a lot of information that can help us as educator to improve our teaching skills and how to improve our one to one when we work with SEN(DYSLEXIA ) in learning .

By Ellen J

Oct 31, 2018

Beneficial to read about and view videos demonstrating techniques to use with dyslexic children. Would appreciate additional information supporting struggling students who are older, beyond elementary school.

By Katie S

Nov 01, 2018

I don't think that some questions are relevant to the week. There could be more questions added to review more material of the course. However, I really did enjoy the course.

By Ammaarah K

Apr 17, 2019

Super informative

By Heba D

May 26, 2019

it is a very informative course

By Marzieh A