Back to Understanding Einstein: The Special Theory of Relativity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Einstein: The Special Theory of Relativity by Stanford University

In this course we will seek to “understand Einstein,” especially focusing on the special theory of relativity that Albert Einstein, as a twenty-six year old patent clerk, introduced in his “miracle year” of 1905. Our goal will be to go behind the myth-making and beyond the popularized presentations of relativity in order to gain a deeper understanding of both Einstein the person and the concepts, predictions, and strange paradoxes of his theory. Some of the questions we will address include: How did Einstein come up with his ideas? What was the nature of his genius? What is the meaning of relativity? What’s “special” about the special theory of relativity? Why did the theory initially seem to be dead on arrival? What does it mean to say that time is the “fourth dimension”? Can time actually run more slowly for one person than another, and the size of things change depending on their velocity? Is time travel possible, and if so, how? Why can’t things travel faster than the speed of light? Is it possible to travel to the center of the galaxy and return in one lifetime? Is there any evidence that definitively confirms the theory, or is it mainly speculation? Why didn’t Einstein win the Nobel Prize for the theory of relativity? About the instructor: Dr. Larry Lagerstrom is the Director of Academic Programs at Stanford University’s Center for Professional Development, which offers graduate certificates in subjects such as artificial intelligence, cyber security, data mining, nanotechnology, innovation, and management science. He holds degrees in physics, mathematics, and the history of science, has published a book and a TED Ed video on "Young Einstein: From the Doxerl Affair to the Miracle Year," and has had over 30,000 students worldwide enroll in his online course on the special theory of relativity (this course!)....

JJ
Mar 21, 2020

Thanks for helping me understand the Special Theory of Relativity, covered a lot of ground but repeated it so it really could sink in. Like your style and want to thank you for your assistance. Thanks

AP
Aug 11, 2020

It was wonderful experience to know the special theory of relativity from Larry, who has presented the course in very simple way to understand. Thanks a lot to Larry for providing such a good session.

276 - 300 of 801 Reviews for Understanding Einstein: The Special Theory of Relativity

By DJ W

Apr 18, 2018

Best course I've taken so far! Extremely enjoyable. Prof. Larry is gifted with the way of explanations, I just get on watch his lectures instead of Netflixing because it was more entertaining. Thank you so much!

By Jaume R

Aug 9, 2019

A fantastic course if you want to understand in a more detailed view of the Special theory of Relativity. The concepts are explained in a clear way and the profesor really transmits his passion to the students.

By Jayendra B

Sep 17, 2017

excellent course ...... i thank stanford for making a course like this ! its like my dream to do p.hd in the field of theory of reletivity so this was being like my first step towards my goal.....! thank you.

By Kaushik K

Apr 12, 2020

If anyone who has a little bit of knowledge of basic physics, he or she can easily complete this course. After completing this i have started thinking differently about the strategies of solving str problems.

By JOSEPH

Jul 17, 2020

Splendid course. Congrats to the instructor who made it very clear even for a non native English person. I would strongly recommend this trip to anyone willing to understand the world through Einstein genius

By Peter W

Aug 8, 2017

Anyone that has been interested in Special Relativity and has not pursued the subject; this is the place to start.

The course leader Larry Randles Lagerstrom is most professional; indeed he is first class.

By Marta F

Jul 21, 2017

Brilliant. Fantastic teacher. And I'm not good at maths at all but I came away with quite a respectable understanding of the underlying notions of Special Relativity which is exactly what I was looking for.

By Saptarshi G D

Oct 11, 2020

this was a phenomenal journey. I do not have enough words to express my gratitude. thank you so much for uploading this course here. i request the authority to upload more physics courses on this website.

By Antonio g d

Jun 4, 2020

Perdon por escribir en español :

Me ha gustado mucho el curso . Me hubiera gustado algun tema de teoria de a relatividad general auque se que para ello hay que dar primero algun tema de calculo tensorial

By Srivatsa

Dec 19, 2017

Very carefully crafted course by Prof. Lagerstrom, starts with basic concepts so that every curious mind could grasp it. Always wanted to learn about Einstein's special relativity theory & now I know it.

By Chhatrapati S

Feb 27, 2017

it is one of the most hard and confusing topic on the physic . But the professor makes us very clear about the ideas of the relativity around the world

I recommend everyone to know about relativity once .

By Ajay V

Really Informative course. Actually I'm a grad student with Physics specialization. So I was already familiar with some of this. But the way of teaching is so wonderful that I found myself as a newbie.

By Bill W

Instructor Dr. Lagerstrom displays an excellent talent of both planning and presentation of the

Theory of relativity. His presentation is easy to follow and to understand. Thanks for such a good job.

By oscar A

Sep 9, 2018

Excellent course and teacher; it helped me expand and put together previous scattered knowledge I had on this topic. It has motivated me to continue my learning on astrophysics and music with Coursera.

By Nut b

Nov 19, 2016

The teacher was very good and made it easier to understand some of the more difficult topics.The course was very interesting and gave me a very good insight into Einsteins special theory of relativity.

By NAFISHA P

Aug 25, 2019

Thank you sir to give me such a valuable knowledge . Your way of explanation is fabulous I can't define it in words I learned lots of new thing from you and thanks for providing the book link.....😊

By Victor H P

Sep 16, 2020

Instructor made the course very enjoyable, easy to understnad for the non-technical person, very interesting and eye opening. I now have a much more humble regard of our place in the universe. Wow!

By Julie B

Sep 18, 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. The knowledge I have gained is something that I will treasure and will propel me to keep studying and trying to understand our wonderful universe.

By John K

Apr 2, 2017

I enjoyed this course very much. Professor Larry Randles Lagerstrom made a difficult subject easy to understand. Especially for a fellow who at 85 has forgotten a lot of what he learned in college.

By Anoop R D

Jul 27, 2020

THANK YOU SO MUCH PROFESSOR FOR PUTTING THE CONCEPTS IN A SIMPLE AND ORGANIZED WAY. THE COURSE IS A REAL EYE OPENER FOR A SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST! LOOKING FORWARD TO JOIN YOUR NEW COURSES AND CONTENTS.

By Chirag G

Mar 11, 2020

This course is really wonderful. You will get some basic ideas related to Einstein's theories. If you are keen to know about Einstein, it's going to be your perfect start. Really excellent course.

By 方冠华

Aug 20, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. Very concise, clear yet teaches a lot of mind-challenging concepts. I am so happy that I clicked the bottom to register this course. Also, big thank to the professor.

By karunesh D

May 3, 2020

Wonderful course on STR. Mr. Larry explained the complicated things in a very easy way using lots of diagrams. I was motivated throughout the course because he kept me on track so I lost nothing.

By Robert C C

May 22, 2018

Excellent course. The instructor did a wonderful job, using a white board and simple props. He made it interesting and made these complex principles understandable. I enjoyed the experience.

By Waqaar H

Aug 7, 2020

It is an excellent course. Just the right thing for a person who truly wants to understand the basics of the Special Theory of Relativity. The teaching style of the instructor is also amazing.