Back to Content Strategy for Professionals: Engaging Audiences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Content Strategy for Professionals: Engaging Audiences by Northwestern University

In this course, professionals at all levels of an organization will learn the best ways to engage an audience they want and need by smartly implementing their important, strategic stories and information and by using proven tools and techniques to enhance an audience’s experiences and interest. Content Strategy is a conversation that provides thought-leadership. It starts a “conversation” with users and stakeholders inside and outside an organization. Conversations are the natural way people think about complex issues. Conversations also enable people to develop “stories,” which lead to understanding and helpful mental pictures. Content Strategy practitioners are at all levels of the best enterprises – in all departments and sectors from the top leader to the newcomer in the ranks. In this complex information age, forward-thinking employees know that if they and their organizations are to thrive, they need to go beyond their job descriptions. They must master the most demanding communications frontier – creating engaging, strategic, honest stories and information that is valued by their most important audiences. In turn that will make their enterprise stand out. Regardless of their area of work, position or expertise, Content Strategy practitioners know how to use words, pictures, video, and social and mobile media to interact with their most important constituents with trustable, actionable information that the audience values and will use. The strategic content they produce enhances the user’s lives and deepens their understanding and engagement with the organization. Guest lecturers in this course include: -- Rachel Davis Mersey, Associate Professor, Medill, Northwestern -- Ed Malthouse, Theodore R. and Annie Laurie Sills Professor of Integrated Marketing Communications, Medill, Northwestern -- Bobby Calder, Charles H. Kellstadt Professor of Marketing & Director of the Center for Cultural Marketing, Kellogg, Northwestern -- Steven Duke, Associate Professor, Medill, Northwestern -- Janice Castro, Assistant Professor Emerita, Medill, Nothwestern...

SH
Sep 14, 2018

Very informative! Various concepts were highlighted to help me design increasingly engaging content for my readers. Will recommend it to everyone seeking to enhance their content strategy skills.

PN
Dec 19, 2019

I learned exactly what I expected to learn, especially the clear distinction between Content Strategy and Content Marketing and how to truly "engage" the audience. Very happy with the course :)

1 - 25 of 131 Reviews for Content Strategy for Professionals: Engaging Audiences

By Denise D

Jun 12, 2016

This course fell far below my expectations and failed to rise to the level I've expected in comparisons to other courses I've taken via Coursera. A few of the issues:

-Very basic information. If you have any marketing and/or messaging experience you will most likely be bored by the course.

- For a course that focuses on engagement, very little mixed media use.

-Timing issues of informational slides (usually too short.)

-As someone who is a paid adjunct I did not value paying for the course, only to discover I'd have to review other students' work.

-As a professional I did not feel the need to be reviewed by others, or share (for free) any input. The course did allow me to just space through and then submit with no actual answer, but doing so does impact your final pass/fail.

-I signed up with the intent to take all five courses. Fortunately, I planned on paying for one at a time. After a disappointing course one, I will not be taking the additional four.

By Thomas F T

Jan 29, 2019

There is good focus on experience, brand, and importance of getting to know the audience, which is important. However, it loses stars for me on the dated-ness of some of the data referred to. In this discipline (content strategy, content marketing) I get fundamental principles don't change at the pace that technology changes, but referencing data almost nine years old is a long time. Perhaps more current data would be helpful, as well as more current text downloads students can learn from.

By whitney w

Mar 2, 2020

The instructors did a great job outlining the business concepts, and the short videos broke down the content into manageable bites. However, if Coursera is going to continue to charge for this course, it must update the content and the readings. There were no new media examples -- only old media. And the readings, which were published in 2009, were extremely dated. One talked about the "new frontier" of mobile!

Originally, I'd planned to pursue the certificate, but I can't justify the expense if I'm going to be consuming such outdated information.

Also, I was pretty disappointed with the quality of student work I had to evaluate as well as the quality of the evaluations I received.

Overall, I learned a number of business concepts that will likely prove useful in my job, and the instructors were clearly knowledgable and concise. However, if Coursera/Northwestern is going to continue to offer this course/certificate in this ever-changing digital landscape, it probably needs to update the readings and examples annually.

By Paul H

May 13, 2018

A great course, offering a brad foundation of knowledge and useful case studies and real world scenarios. Would highly recommend for those looking to brush up on the latest and essential content strategy concepts.

By Dario R

Jul 27, 2017

Comparing it to other courses I followed online this is full of great quality content and I'm totally satisfied. I really like the style of communication used in the videos and the way the course is structured.

By ahmad z

Sep 16, 2016

really great for practicing in biz, I am in middle of creating a slimming solution and I really love people, to help them be healthy and beautiful easy way, I use this course material in creation of my new biz.

By DEBORAH D

Jun 17, 2020

Beautifully presented, insightful and applicable to work!

By Maritza P

May 24, 2016

Very Informative Wish there were more examples uesed

By Siddhant M

May 17, 2018

The examples really made this course amazing.

By Aniruddho M

Jul 14, 2020

great points, well paced, excellent speakers

By Jessica S

Nov 6, 2020

Very interesting for someone who never did any marketing or content writing before. This course introduced me to the world of content writing, which is a field I might pursue, as my writing skills are excellent, and there are many job openings for content writers that enable one to work from home. In addition, I found that learning about targeting an audience when creating content actually has improved my own ability to offer my students content that appeals more to them, while doing so within the greater parameters of the English curriculum.

By Hanna P

May 8, 2018

This course can resonate with all levels of professionals. For those who have less experience, this course will work as a principle as to become a successful content strategist, and for experienced ones, the talks and case studies shown through the course will be highly useuful for editing/planning/effectively evaluate your current work. I have more than 10 years of experience in message development, content strategy and thought leadership, and this course brought a very fresh perspective on why I do for what I do.

By Lisa L

Nov 20, 2020

What can I say other than I learned an enormous amount of information that I could see immediately applicable in my organization. What I learned in this course helped me understand where my organization is going with its products. I've been able to leverage this knowledge to gain more responsibility with regards to the content developed by my editorial team.

By David W

Oct 24, 2016

An incredibly insightful course which gives you the theory and science to create the content which will simply break through to your audience. The further reading is really great as well on its own. the whole sequence of courses together are the best professional learning i have ever found on the subject.

By Abhra C

Apr 24, 2020

Its a fantastic course to know the basics of content strategy, creating consumer persona and guide ont he tone/ voice of the message. In today's time when digital space demands new, fresh contents everyday, this course comes handy for practical marketeers.

By Neha K

Oct 12, 2018

Absolutely fantastic course. Built in small bites that are easy to digest and understand. Delivered with great clarity and simplicity. Made me think, and apply what I know, and in many places amend/unlearn what I have known. Highly recommended!

By Ashmit K

Dec 17, 2019

The course is designed to help people in developing content strategy, it gives you the essence of the topic without any unnecessary information. Ideal course for students working in print media, journalism or content creators.

By Joe T

Aug 7, 2018

This is an excellent course. I'm an IT professional with only marginal exposure to marketing issues. This course is basic yet the instructors never "talk down" to the students. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

By Alejandro G S

Jan 31, 2020

This was extremelly didactic, helpful and overall a great learning tool for those who need guidance on the content creation world. I could not be more satisfied, great job for the faculty of Northwestern University.

By Sabika H

Sep 15, 2018

By Parak N

Dec 20, 2019

By Aneeza S

Dec 18, 2018

I juts loved this course, it really helped me in understanding about content strategy and assessing the needs of the audience. I am really looking forward to learn next four courses too soon.

By Jolie T

Aug 10, 2017

Very well thought out and useful information delivered in an understandable way. The topics covered have already proved useful in my organizational development and employee engagement work.

By DOLAPO A

Jan 10, 2020

It was an interesting first week. I have learned a lot from the instructors, and the experience gathered over that short time is helpful in restructuring my organization website content

By Gargi C

May 17, 2017

Extremely well designed, comprehensive with real life examples and scenarios. Overall, useful and engaging content that hooks the learners from the beginning and will prove beneficial.