Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

CR
May 12, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

JG
Aug 17, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

201 - 225 of 3,404 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Kaye M

Sep 29, 2019

Very enlightening, and easy to follow. I've taught English to non-English speakers, and wish I'd had a course like this beforehand! Learned many helpful principles.

Was also quite encouraged to learn that (research shows!) that one can learn a new language at any age, provided you use effective acquisition techniques.

By Jessica I

Jan 2, 2019

Great course! The videos were done in such a way that made the information interesting to learn and easy to grasp. I really enjoyed how Dr. Dixon wasn't afraid to make himself look ridiculous to make meaning clear, as he teaches us to to. I also enjoyed the supplemental literature on the theories we were introduced to.

By Fan X

Feb 6, 2021

Thank you very much for the TESOL course provided by the University of Arizona, from which I have learned a lot of English knowledge. Moreover, I think I have made rapid progress in teaching, American pronunciation and spoken English in the past half month. I believe I will make more progresses in the following time.

By Renata A

Jul 28, 2019

This was, hands down, the most motivating course I've ever taken! Its structure was clear, the assumptions made me reflect on many aspects of language teaching and the videos with the metaphors were simply delighting! I’m looking forward to start the second one of the series. I recommend it to all language teachers.

By Lhane A L G J

Dec 13, 2020

This course is excellent. It helped me learn, re-learn, and realize a multitude of things about teaching the English Language as an English Teacher here in the Philippines. I am excited to pursue the other three courses for this TESOL course with Arizona State University. Thank you so much. May God bless everyone!

By Marium A M

Apr 16, 2020

It is an amazing course that will provide a learner different strategies and ways to be a qualified teacher. All the instructors are so friendly in their teaching and use different metaphores to make the learning more interesting. I learned a lot of things. This course is really effective for the future teacher.

By David S B

Mar 7, 2016

I found the information presented in a very orderly fashion. The presenters communicated their ideas in a clear and fun fashion. It was good learning new techniques as well as being affirmed in what I have done in the way of teaching so far. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is teaching language.

By Luis D Q M

Oct 11, 2020

First of all, thank you very much for the course, it was very interesting, it made me reflect on many things, the scaffolding, it caught my attention, and how you can get help and experience from other colleagues, both in years and different techniques in addition to their points of view.

really language is fire.

By Konstantin U

Oct 10, 2018

Great! Thank you for creating this course. It's just what I needed at a time when I needed it. It's nice to see a high quality, engaging, substantial, fun and sincere TESOL/TEFL course, and I have already learned valuable information that I believe has made me a better instructor. Thank you! You guys are awesome!

By N N S R

Aug 7, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. The way Dr. Shane Dixon explained the subject is amazing. I learnt from him just like a child. Secondly, the course content is designed to the needs of English teachers. I would like to thank the course designers and teachers Dr. Shane Dixon, Ms.Jessica Sinco and Dr . Justin Shewell.

By Yulia N

Jun 17, 2017

Basic but extremely useful - this course help you to get the whole understanding of construction, organizational side of whole chain of 8 courses for Specialization and certificate. Also, it helps me to get used to it, distribute resources carefully. I like it very much, and this course motivates me to continue!

By Cindy E R

Feb 19, 2019

Vry happy to have signed up to this course, I found it to be very complete: I updated concepts I was already familiar with, learned new ones, shared input with other students taking the course, and enjoyed the positive, enthusiastic approach of the teachers. Looking forward to taking other coursework from them.

By Dilnaz T

Nov 23, 2020

I'm Dilnaz and I'm a bachelor's student. I'm studying to be a teacher of foreign languages. This course was really useful and great for me. The best course in the world. Thank you a lot for the opportunity and for the new knowledge. I really excited that I get new knowledge, it helps my career in the teaching.

By yamuna r

This course 1, has been extremely useful with crystal clear explanations , making the meaning clearer and fire up the teaching passion to the next level.

Thank you COURSERA and also I would like to thank Dr. Shane Dixon and Madam Andrea Haraway for making our journey stress free with good teaching techniques.

By Jesus R R R

Mar 21, 2021

Es un buen curso, muy útil incluso si quieres aprender a hablar ingles, pues te dan las herramientas de aprendizaje, mismas que puedes utilizar contigo mismo.

Esto último a su vez, te da una consciencia de lo que tus profesores buscan enseñarte, y te ayuda a simpatizar con ellos y comprender más la clase.

By Idhmed h

May 2, 2019

i have finished the first specialization and certainly will continue for the next one , i send you this to express my profound thanks for the the people in charge of this amazing website , as well as to our professor Mr DIXON , a special thanks also to my colleagues for their reviews and precious advices.

By John M D L

Nov 4, 2020

The course is highly systematic and it equips you with ample theoretical knowledge on language teaching. It provides an excellent ground to proceed through the TESOL professional certificate. By the way, I really admire the teachers' pedagogy here. They're very engaging and clear with the course content.

By carol b

Oct 3, 2020

I found this class challenging but certainly, with a bit of study and note-taking it was possible to get an excellent grade, and indeed to learn well.

I loved Dr. Dixon's lecturing style. He always models exactly the principles we are learning. I can't say how much I enjoyed the class.

Highly recommended

By Muhammad D

Feb 13, 2021

This course includes all the necessary base principals required for individuals seeking to initiate a career in the ESL industry. Dr. Dixon is an absolutely marvelous teacher who explains all the concepts very well. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in becoming a good English teacher.

By Rachel W

Apr 29, 2019

I have taken a TEFL course previously and can confidently say that this course has taught me so much more in just the foundational principles. The teachers are engaging and have created thoughtful material. I have enjoyed all the lessons learned so far and look forward to the second part of the course.

By Edgar J M G

Jun 17, 2020

One of the most complete and interesting courses that I have taken in all my life, it gives you a different perspective of everything, not only in teaching English, and also it makes you reflect about your whole school background as teachers, students and remember those memorable experiences you have.

By Kenyc M

Jul 13, 2016

This course is everything that I needed to start my journey as a teacher!

Dr. Nixon is easy to understand, funny, and his sincerity reads through in each video :-)

Thank you for offering this course!

I feel more confident and prepared to continue studying and taking my TEFL now having taking this class.

By Dmitrii K

Dec 25, 2020

The course is quite brief though it gives a lot of food for thoughts as it explores different aspects of teaching - from the techniques and tactics a teacher can use in daily life to the hard questions of burnout. Definitely recommend to anyone interested in teaching, especially when it comes to EFL

By Jeo E

Dec 14, 2020

Thank you very much for the opportunity. At first, I was just interested in the certificate. As I study the course, I enjoyed the learning experience and the methods that were used. I want to apply them right away in real life. It's a privilege to learn from our online instructors. Again, thank you.

By Abigail C

May 29, 2019

It was a good introduction to foundational principles of English teaching. Definitely the other courses in the certification need to be taken in order to get the full benefit of the information given. It really is meant to be a jumping off point to learn and implement other more teaching techniques.