Back to Introduction to Enumerative Combinatorics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Enumerative Combinatorics by National Research University Higher School of Economics

Enumerative combinatorics deals with finite sets and their cardinalities. In other words, a typical problem of enumerative combinatorics is to find the number of ways a certain pattern can be formed. In the first part of our course we will be dealing with elementary combinatorial objects and notions: permutations, combinations, compositions, Fibonacci and Catalan numbers etc. In the second part of the course we introduce the notion of generating functions and use it to study recurrence relations and partition numbers. The course is mostly self-contained. However, some acquaintance with basic linear algebra and analysis (including Taylor series expansion) may be very helpful. Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

RA
Mar 29, 2018

Excellent selection of material and presentation; TAs were of great help as well. The techniques taught in this course will be a nice addition to my algorithms analysis toolbox.

HS
Jul 6, 2020

very nice course.very well taught by professor.one thing that can be improved is detailed solution of quizzes and assignments.thanks for the course:)

26 - 32 of 32 Reviews for Introduction to Enumerative Combinatorics

By DAVID R M

Jun 2, 2017

This was an engaging course and I welcomed the opportunity to try something a bit more advanced than the typical offerings on Coursera. Lectures are very well presented. Homework assignments were pretty good and the online forum was helpful. I recommend this course and I would be interested in further courses like this one. I found it helpful to have a couple of textbooks on hand for reference. For the earlier material I used Shaum's Outline of Combinatorics by Balakrishnan (free download on archive.org) and for the material on q-series I referred to Theory of Partitions by George Andrews.

Suggested improvements: add student interaction during lectures to test understanding and supplement with worked problems in videos. Also add lots more problems for students to work on.

(I have found that with nearly all online courses the number of problems provided is too few for me to learn a topic).

By Pierre m

Mar 20, 2017

Good content, but way too slow. Please use pdf instead of writing everything.

By Stefan H

May 19, 2017

Very mathematical, but cool and well done!

By Apurva D

Jun 5, 2017

Great course

By zhen w

Jul 28, 2017

The content is really interesting. but the presentation could be improved.

but thanks for such content

By Dmitrij M

Jul 15, 2017

The Quality of this Course is very bad! The Person who created this course is not involved anymore! There are "Mentors" to support the Course. They dont even know how to write in latex. No Solution, no transcripts! Compared with Modern Combinatorics this one star max!

By Агамов Р Э о

Sep 13, 2018

Есть баги в тестах (неделья 6 задача 4)