Back to Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases by The Pennsylvania State University

Not so long ago, it was almost guaranteed that you would die of an infectious disease. In fact, had you been born just 150 years ago, your chances of dying of an infectious disease before you've reached the tender age of 5 would have been extremely high. Since then, science has come a long way in understanding infectious diseases - what they are, how they spread, and how they can be prevented. But diseases like HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis, or the flu are still major killers worldwide, and novel emerging diseases are a constant threat to public health. In addition, the bugs are evolving. Antibiotics, our most potent weapon against bacterial infections, are losing their power because the bacteria are becoming resistant. In this course, we'll explore the major themes of infectious diseases dynamics. After we’ve covered the basics, we'll be looking at the dynamics of the flu, and why we're worried about flu pandemics. We'll be looking at the dynamics of childhood diseases such as measles and whooping cough, which were once considered almost eradicated, but are now making a comeback. We'll explore Malaria, and use it as a case study of the evolution of drug resistance. We'll even be looking at social networks - how diseases can spread from you to your friends to your friends' friends, and so on. And of course we’ll be talking about vaccination too. We’ll also be talking about how mobile phones, social media and crowdsourcing are revolutionizing disease surveillance, giving rise to a new field of digital epidemiology. And yes, we will be talking about Zombies - not human zombies, but zombie ants whose brains are hijacked by an infectious fungus. We're looking forward to having you join us for an exciting course!...

DB

Apr 23, 2016

Can't fault this course at all and nor would I want to. Very interesting, brilliantly presented and the range of experts really enhanced it. It was engaging and made me keen to find out more.

DJ

May 13, 2017

It is a wonderful course , I have gain and updated my Knowledge in the area of Epidemics and Infectious Disease, Thanks to the Course organizers and most effective presentations . Dr Shivaji

251 - 275 of 286 Reviews for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

By Patrick R

Jun 15, 2016

Really nice introduction course. I am however a bit disappointed it did not went deeper in how the models of diseases spreading are built, and that the course overall does not go into much detail. A bit more technical detail (maths, biology etc.) would make this nice course a awesome course.

By Ivan B

Feb 10, 2017

Interesting course, I am a geo-information specialist and I took this Course to gain some understanding on epidemics so as to be of influence in mapping and modelling their spatial patterns. I have loved every bit of it especially the last part- Zombies!! I needed to hear more.

By devina r

Jun 10, 2016

I felt that this course was more information driven and just getting to know facts and facts and more facts . though this course is designed for anybody to do I feel a student would do better if they had past experience and knowledge about a few common diseases.

By Jorja V

Nov 14, 2015

It is a great course, really interesting, really easy to complete though some of the topics are a bit challenging. Overall a great achievement to finish this course. (Although I didn't receive a certificate but at least I finished the course)

By David D

Apr 27, 2020

Great course! However I feel it is too basic. It would be great if you could create a more advanced version of it in which you include a bit more of the biological explanations of the phenomena you discuss along the course.

By Lorna M

Oct 20, 2015

Nice course. I sometimes wished the lectures had more in depth coverage of the material instead of so many "big picture" statements. But overall, the course was a nice overview of diseases. Thank you to the instructors!

By Mariana V

Oct 26, 2015

Fantastic Course! great content and compelling presenters. It really opens your eyes to infectious diseases and all perspectives it braces, science, social aspects, biology, ecology. I recommend for bio/science folks.

By Viktor D

Apr 12, 2017

Very good, connected also to relatively recent outbreaks. Maybe some miniquiz/few question after each block would be nice to sum it up and help with preparing for quiz after whole week.

By Claire L M

May 03, 2020

Very interesting course that gives good basic knowledge on infectious diseases and epidemiology. Really enjoyed it and very relevant in the current context of COVID-19

Thank you!

By rydham g

Apr 30, 2020

The concepts are taught very well but felt that it was a bit superficial. They should go a bit deeper into each topic. Overall the course is very good

By Erik B

Jan 31, 2017

Pro: All topics seem to be covered, full overview of this field.

Con: Please, please, get rid of the childish drawings and get som serious artwork.

By Ester

Aug 14, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, the lecturers and content. It is ever so slightly dated, and some phrasing could be changed, but overall very good!

By Nithyassree

Aug 01, 2020

This is an extremely informative, easy to understand course that I will recommend to anyone that is interested in learning about epidemiology.

By Dr. K L

Aug 13, 2020

It was an informative course where we can learn from basics to modern infections that are damaging the host.overall a very great course

By Ediri M

Apr 09, 2017

Really interesting course if you want to be more informed about the dynamics of global disease transmission and emergency responses

By Chris J

Dec 22, 2017

Excellent big picture overview of epidemics with very knowledgeable faculty bringing a wealth of expertise to the course.

By Dwayne P

Oct 11, 2017

Thank you for all the effort the team put in to make this course. It is an amazing course, learnt so.

By JOHN Q

Sep 09, 2015

Nice course and extremely we'll presented. Cood ideas and the presenters also did a great job.

By Wojciech W

Feb 02, 2019

Very interesting course with many wonderful information presented in funny and engaging way.

By Mark

Feb 12, 2017

Very thorough and comprehensive course--all lessons are in easily-understandable English

By Christof S

Apr 09, 2020

the course and lecturers are very good, the means of interaction is limited though.

By Anais S

Jun 21, 2016

Some of the lectures were a little dull but the information was fantastic!

By Darla C

Apr 11, 2020

A few spelling errors and minor bibs in videos but overall very good

By Ryan R

Jan 25, 2016

The test difficulty was a lot easier than the actual course content.