Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I, Columbia University

About this Course

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field drawing from finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part I will be on the use of simple stochastic models to price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities, fixed income, credit and mortgage-backed securities. We will also consider the role that some of these asset classes played during the financial crisis. A notable feature of this course will be an interview module with Emanuel Derman, the renowned ``quant'' and best-selling author of "My Life as a Quant". We hope that students who complete the course will begin to understand the "rocket science" behind financial engineering but perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. The follow-on course FE & RM Part II will continue to develop derivatives pricing models but it will also focus on asset allocation and portfolio optimization as well as other applications of financial engineering such as real options, commodity and energy derivatives and algorithmic trading....

By MM

Jul 12, 2017

I appreciate how this course not only discusses the concepts in technical detail, but actually delves into the mathematics of the subject matter, and teaches how to actually do the actual work inv

By NT

Jan 20, 2017

This course is amazing. The structure is very clear and coherent. It is very mathematically focused and the models are interesting. I would always recommend this course to my colleagues.

269 Reviews

By Xiaoran Liu

Apr 09, 2019

很好的课程!节奏紧凑,具有挑战性。从论坛学到了很多。

By Artem Borin

Apr 06, 2019

Very good course. A lot of examples, great assignments

By Rohan Thanki

Mar 30, 2019

The material was excellent. Thank you for making this course and putting it on a public platform

By Tom Blanchard

Mar 30, 2019

Being new to investing and understanding financial products this course gave me great insight into the financial products that I'm interested in and gave me all the background I felt I needed to understand them.

By Sourav Ganguly

Mar 11, 2019

An Excellent course which really tested my understanding of the subject matter through challenging questions and rigorous assignments. The course matter is also very relevant and engaging. Through this course I have improved my understanding of the pricing mechanism of securities and derivatives. Thank You.

By Hugo Rafael Maffei Moreira

Mar 05, 2019

Curso voltado para a precificação de ativos diversos, como ações fundos, swaps, etc... Houveram poucos exemplos durante as aulas, o que torna as provas bem difíceis. No início, vemos coisas próximas da nossa realidade, mas, depois da 3° ou 4° semana de curso, a entramos em um leque de ativos pouquíssimo conhecidos e utilizados na nossa realidade.

By Haris M Siddiqui

Feb 16, 2019

No help was granted during the practice of the course. I din't find the course helpful for future growth in a company as company doesn't consider it to be as professional.

By Wu Zhang

Feb 15, 2019

super helpful

By Markos Lolos

Jan 30, 2019

Amazing course. Will register for the second part too

By Anne

Jan 04, 2019

extremely helpful and insightful! nice and compact, too! Also very helpful that there are many examples from fixed income / credit markets, as many options courses focus heavily on equity options only.