Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I by Columbia University

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field drawing from finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part I will be on the use of simple stochastic models to price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities, fixed income, credit and mortgage-backed securities. We will also consider the role that some of these asset classes played during the financial crisis. A notable feature of this course will be an interview module with Emanuel Derman, the renowned ``quant'' and best-selling author of "My Life as a Quant". We hope that students who complete the course will begin to understand the "rocket science" behind financial engineering but perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. The follow-on course FE & RM Part II will continue to develop derivatives pricing models but it will also focus on asset allocation and portfolio optimization as well as other applications of financial engineering such as real options, commodity and energy derivatives and algorithmic trading....

DP
Mar 8, 2020

I have an engineering / numerics background and enjoyed this course very much. Good overview and comprehensive explanation of mathematical models of fixed income and equities as well as derivatives.

MM
Jul 11, 2017

I appreciate how this course not only discusses the concepts in technical detail, but actually delves into the mathematics of the subject matter, and teaches how to actually do the actual work inv

326 - 350 of 440 Reviews for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

Oct 23, 2016

Great!

By Wenxin G

Mar 11, 2021

good

By Jhon A A C

May 26, 2017

Well

By Chen F

Dec 27, 2015

Good

By Harish H

Dec 12, 2015

good

By George L

Aug 12, 2015

Aug 15, 2015

E

By Tomás G V

Aug 29, 2020

I honestly expected more from the course. I cannot say I learned any new "skill", but I was partly challenged by the exams, mostly throughout the first 4 of them. On that same note, I'm a management engineering student, I have some financial background but most of the theoretical concepts were new to me, but besides being newly introduced to most of the course's content, I sincerely felt the exams were at times not coherent with what was taught. This course will put you to test, it's not "easy" or at least there isn't that much guidance, which made it exciting, but frustrating most of the time. What I really "learned" from this course was to be more organized, put in the time and do extra research. On account of all this, I cannot complain much: this was, at most, a deep introduction into Financial Engineering, I can now understand the jargon these profesionals use in the capital markets, but I am far from capable of properly "price" any of the financial derivatives or other securities covered in the course. I also didn't pay for theit, which means this review isn't probably the most "accurate" one. Finally, sincere THANKS to Columbia University and mostly Coursera for providing top education to everyone, you just made an undergraduate student very happy and I aspire to keep a "relationship" with both institutions in the upcoming years.