Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I by Columbia University

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field drawing from finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part I will be on the use of simple stochastic models to price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities, fixed income, credit and mortgage-backed securities. We will also consider the role that some of these asset classes played during the financial crisis. A notable feature of this course will be an interview module with Emanuel Derman, the renowned ``quant'' and best-selling author of "My Life as a Quant". We hope that students who complete the course will begin to understand the "rocket science" behind financial engineering but perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. The follow-on course FE & RM Part II will continue to develop derivatives pricing models but it will also focus on asset allocation and portfolio optimization as well as other applications of financial engineering such as real options, commodity and energy derivatives and algorithmic trading....

DP
Mar 8, 2020

I have an engineering / numerics background and enjoyed this course very much. Good overview and comprehensive explanation of mathematical models of fixed income and equities as well as derivatives.

MM
Jul 11, 2017

I appreciate how this course not only discusses the concepts in technical detail, but actually delves into the mathematics of the subject matter, and teaches how to actually do the actual work inv

51 - 75 of 441 Reviews for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

By Mansi B

May 3, 2020

I find the explanation very hard to catch up to. Even the simple examples seem very vague and it just seems like going through random equations and theorems. Maybe its the syllabus, but its not that easy to grasp and make sense of. I have studied complex financial concepts but using equations is new and despite having a thorough background in financial studies, i find it difficult to grasp. I think once the topic is introduced, it should be developed on further instead of discussing other concepts briefly. Without much understanding of the first concept, moving onto just a brief discussion of of another topic seems confusing and easy to forget. I am still trying to get through the course and its a little challenging to get finish the slides.

By Sooraj V

Oct 30, 2020

After seeing the name and the description I signed up for this course. But the stupid professor is simply reading the slides. I felt very bad about the way he teaches. He talks with a stoic face with zero emotion and completely failed to create any interest in me. I never expected such kind of a quality from such a good university. Very bad choice.

By Selam M

Aug 25, 2020

There is not enough explanation as to the things to be tested on. The lessons and the tests are completely different. On top of that the teacher jumps too many necessary points in his explanations.

By Shweta

Jun 7, 2020

Zero course clarity. The professors made no effort to teach the numericals to support the theorems taught. They were rather just reading what was already there in the presentation.

By Hamd S

Jun 25, 2020

Very poor method of creating concepts and no help in solving at least one question. A conceptual course being taught as a theoretical course is a shame.

By Michael N

Dec 4, 2018

I enrolled it by wrong it is very faraway from my career and my education i want to un-enrolled it

By XTremeAchilles

Mar 30, 2020

Everything will go beyond your head. Quizes are nearly unslovable. Waste of Money and Time.

By YUN L

Jul 31, 2020

Very hard to understand. The way the lecture talks make it even harder.

By Ryan

Feb 16, 2021

Great course! First of all: To the lecturers: Thanks a lot and I encourage you to keep spreading the knowledge! And to the course instructors and fellow course participants: Thanks a lot for the helpful discussions on the forums! My advise (to those who might need it): You need to have or build the perseverance to get through, but it's worth it in the end! If the quizzes get tough, try not to get upset or frustrated, but just try again and carry on. Eventually you will succeed! Halfway through it might get challenging (especially Week 4 quiz - at least for me), but I got through. Remind yourself that the quizzes are there to challenge your critical thinking and level of understanding of the body of knowledge. If I can make it to the end, you certainly can! Alright.. Enjoy learning & All the very best!

By Bhavya S J

Fantastic start for someone who wants to delve into the world of finance. Concepts focus on mathematical modelling of various financial instruments, with detailed theoretical explanations of the structure of derivatives. As someone wanting to pursue quantitative finance and from an engineering background, this course was stimulating from an engineer's perspective, and had adequate amounts of theoretical information as well to supplement learning. One of the few courses on Coursera that took me more time than that stipulated on the course bulletin.

On a side note, I feel the quizzes should test more conceptual knowledge ,which was true for the first couple of weeks, but later turned into an exercise in MS Excel, maybe because of the computational nature of the course.

By Sourodeep K

Jul 31, 2020

This course introduced to the various Mathematical models related to pricing financial derivatives and fixed-income securities through the use of Probability Theory and Stochastic Calculus. This is course is recommended for anyone who has an interest in learning about the mathematical stories of financial securities and their pricing. I think the professors have done a great job of putting across the concepts to the students of this course. The quizzes help in testing the knowledge acquired and the questions involved working analytically and also working in excel. I extend my thanks to Columbia University for putting such an interesting course on Coursera. I am sure the learnings from this course will play a key role in building my career in finance.

By vijay v

Oct 4, 2017

This is very compact course without compromising essence and worth watching video lectures many times. Materials were of top quality and provided wast amount of fundamental. I cram some information to begin with and ask question myself to get deep insight. On review of of some videos when I saw professor asked same question and explained with illustration, that style of teaching proved very effective as it developed better understanding. Looking forward for more courses on same subjects and similar style!

By Abraham R

Nov 9, 2018

I found it to be a very interesting course and the teachers were very clear in their concepts, as well as an excellent didactic material to better understand the topics covered. I thank Coursera for the teachers and the monitors who were always very attentive to answer the questions and help solve the problems that arose in the preparation of the tasks.

The classmates were very supportive and gave light when one had problems to solve the tasks.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

By Yongxuan L

Feb 6, 2016

Good course. Personally I think it is almost the perfect level for those who have some basic understandings about finance and look forward to go deep(such as me). This course requires some understanding about using Excel, which is quite useful when doing the quiz. Mastering Excel well would save a lot time. Some material might be a little hard but with patience and hardworking, it can still be solved. Highly recommended!

By Mary-Anne B

Jul 18, 2017

I have enjoyed this course thoroughly. With a full time job and two young children it has demanded a great deal of juggling but has been worth it. If you appreciate a thorough and clear presentation of essential principles then this is the course for you. The assignments were sufficiently challenging but more importantly they elucidated key points presented in the lectures. I am definitely going to attempt Level 2

By Srijith K

Dec 17, 2017

This is a wonderful introduction to the world of Quantitative Finance. The content is delivered in a manner that is easy to understand, yet not oversimplified at all. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to build an understanding of the fundamentals of F.E. A big thank you to the lecturers for making this fun to learn, as well as the mentors who were always there to help out in the discussion forums.

By Joe L

Oct 22, 2017

Excellent course. This course teach you on how to price options, futures, and other fixed income derivatives. It not only tell you how it works in simple and easy binomial model, but also provide hands-on spreadsheets to start with your homework. It should be easy to follow and learn if you have basic understanding of options, bond, forwards/futures, and some probability theory.

By Ronald O

Aug 14, 2015

Im really fascinated with this course.

By the way, i think some quiz have few mistakes as the module about pricing swaptions in the calibration model. The answer the professor gave is not 13300 or 19400, but 1330 or 1940 respectively.

The quiz#6, the answer for the question 1 and 2 is multiple, its between a range and i cant complete it, please check the parameters again.

By Grzegorz L

Jul 22, 2017

A lot of useful information in the course. If you've got some programming skills it has even greater impact if you actually write the code yourself to solve the quizzes (still comparing with the solution in Excel). I'd suggest this course to anyone who wants to get a glimpse of the complexities of what Hedge Funds and Front Office desks in Investment Banks actually use.

By Soubhik G

Mar 20, 2016

Awesome...the concepts have been explained in a superb way, the contents are itself high class, he example computations are jist wonderful. Although I am yet to finish it, I am just enthralled with it and have been a fan of coursera big time!!

Expecting more detailed and rigorous course on financial engg which can be a testimony itself for an entry to the industry!!

By Yunis T

Aug 11, 2018

This course is definitely for people who really like to use their math skills in finance. I admit that quizzes a little bit challenging and check the learners' understanding. After some practice I'll definitely take FE&RM II. My only feedback is that is would be better to add some more practical examples to slides instead of emphasizing only theory. Thanks a lot:))

By Jingxia Z

Oct 30, 2019

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Economics and a Master's Degree in Financial Engineering. I got my Master's degree in 2016 while I did not continue to seek a career in this industry because something bad happened to my family. Now I am planning to build up a career in Financial Engineering and this course is really great to help me review the basic knowledge.

By Gleb S

Oct 14, 2017

Very good course. Within only 8 weeks covers the approach to pricing of a wide range of key financial products. Very helpful for those people working in finance, but not directly involved in pricing products to learn more about that aspect. Exercises and spreadsheets help get hands on experience and understand the philosophy behind pricing approaches.

By Árpád B

Apr 26, 2017

As the first serious encounter with financial engineering I found the course challenging but very rewarding. Very good theory-practice ratio. I would definitely recommend to somebody who is interested in the topic and willing to spend many hours with it. My experiences are based on 4 weeks of completed sessions, so please take it with a grain of salt.

By LE T T T

Aug 20, 2019

In discussion forum, I saw that a few years ago, our mentors replied the questions of learners very quickly. However, recently I've seen that there are some questions that are not answered. I do not know why.

By the way, I am so grateful to our lecturers and mentors. Thanks to their guide, I could pass all of my assignments more straightforwardly.