Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I by Columbia University

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field drawing from finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part I will be on the use of simple stochastic models to price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities, fixed income, credit and mortgage-backed securities. We will also consider the role that some of these asset classes played during the financial crisis. A notable feature of this course will be an interview module with Emanuel Derman, the renowned ``quant'' and best-selling author of "My Life as a Quant". We hope that students who complete the course will begin to understand the "rocket science" behind financial engineering but perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. The follow-on course FE & RM Part II will continue to develop derivatives pricing models but it will also focus on asset allocation and portfolio optimization as well as other applications of financial engineering such as real options, commodity and energy derivatives and algorithmic trading....

DP
Mar 8, 2020

I have an engineering / numerics background and enjoyed this course very much. Good overview and comprehensive explanation of mathematical models of fixed income and equities as well as derivatives.

MM
Jul 11, 2017

I appreciate how this course not only discusses the concepts in technical detail, but actually delves into the mathematics of the subject matter, and teaches how to actually do the actual work inv

326 - 350 of 435 Reviews for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

May 26, 2017

Well

By Chen F

Dec 27, 2015

Good

By Harish H

Dec 12, 2015

good

By George L

Aug 12, 2015

Aug 15, 2015

E

By Tomás G V

Aug 29, 2020

I honestly expected more from the course. I cannot say I learned any new "skill", but I was partly challenged by the exams, mostly throughout the first 4 of them. On that same note, I'm a management engineering student, I have some financial background but most of the theoretical concepts were new to me, but besides being newly introduced to most of the course's content, I sincerely felt the exams were at times not coherent with what was taught. This course will put you to test, it's not "easy" or at least there isn't that much guidance, which made it exciting, but frustrating most of the time. What I really "learned" from this course was to be more organized, put in the time and do extra research. On account of all this, I cannot complain much: this was, at most, a deep introduction into Financial Engineering, I can now understand the jargon these profesionals use in the capital markets, but I am far from capable of properly "price" any of the financial derivatives or other securities covered in the course. I also didn't pay for theit, which means this review isn't probably the most "accurate" one. Finally, sincere THANKS to Columbia University and mostly Coursera for providing top education to everyone, you just made an undergraduate student very happy and I aspire to keep a "relationship" with both institutions in the upcoming years.

By Val S

Oct 3, 2019

This was exactly the course I was looking for! It covered all the right topics and depth of material was perfect for what I needed. The instructors were clear and thorough. One aspect I felt did not work due to the online format was the learning opportunity by interacting with TA/other students. I attempted to do extra work assignments but could not get any questions answered in a reasonably timely fashion, and same goes for course material. I passed the course but feel it would be worth more if there was someone responding to student questions in the forums. That was the reason for 4 sta

By Prabhav P

Aug 14, 2020

The course content is excellent and teaches concepts used in real-world scenarios. The quizzes are also challenging. However, the biggest letdown was the manner in which the content was delivered. Simply reading 30-40 slides does not constitute teaching. Moreover, the instructors seem disengaged and there is a dearth of supporting material for some of the more advanced concepts. Probably some recitation classes would have helped. I had to read multiple textbooks just to get some ideas about certain topics.

By Alfonso D

Feb 19, 2017

The course in general is fine. Although it is not an introductory level, and users should be aware of it. By the time you finish it, you will have an idea of how financial engineering works and will understand the math behind the scenes. The required level of mathematics is not very high, and high-school maths are enough to follow the formalism. Also, several assignments are done in Excel, so basic knowledge of its features will help.