Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I by Columbia University

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field drawing from finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part I will be on the use of simple stochastic models to price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities, fixed income, credit and mortgage-backed securities. We will also consider the role that some of these asset classes played during the financial crisis. A notable feature of this course will be an interview module with Emanuel Derman, the renowned ``quant'' and best-selling author of "My Life as a Quant". We hope that students who complete the course will begin to understand the "rocket science" behind financial engineering but perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. The follow-on course FE & RM Part II will continue to develop derivatives pricing models but it will also focus on asset allocation and portfolio optimization as well as other applications of financial engineering such as real options, commodity and energy derivatives and algorithmic trading....

DP
Mar 8, 2020

I have an engineering / numerics background and enjoyed this course very much. Good overview and comprehensive explanation of mathematical models of fixed income and equities as well as derivatives.

MM
Jul 11, 2017

I appreciate how this course not only discusses the concepts in technical detail, but actually delves into the mathematics of the subject matter, and teaches how to actually do the actual work inv

426 - 435 of 435 Reviews for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

By NIRAVSINH S

Dec 12, 2015

good learning with explanation on basic financials

By GOTLURU S R

Sep 9, 2015

GOOD ONE

By Matteo B

Jul 31, 2020

this course lacks examples and explanations that are not just formulas read out during the "classes". the quizzes will ask you to compute something you have never seen before, expecting you to understand how to reform some obscure, unexplained formula a couple of classes ago. It is a shame because it is a very interesting subject, but the course suffers from the defect that (probably) great practitioners often do not make great teachers.

By Divyam G

Nov 16, 2020

This course is largely for people who want to pursue quantitative finance. People aspiring to be in the field of trading and investments should stay away. However, the course entails complex calculations of pricing of securities if you're interested.

By John H

Aug 11, 2020

I only attempted the first 2 weeks before giving up. The instructor would mostly read each confusing powerpoint slide at verbatim without adding much learning value.

By Revathi I

Sep 14, 2020

it was a very high level course and not of my type

By Aditya D

Sep 20, 2020

The videos are poorly explained, the exams are extremely difficult, and there is practically no help given when answers are wrong, and answers marked incorrect due to negligible errors. The only fault I could see from my side is that I didn't do a finance degree as that is the only way to understand this course. I've practically studied on Youtube to clear these exams, as they are poorly scheduled. Respected professors are just reading from slides.

By Enkhtuul T

Jun 23, 2020

Although I have passed the SIE exam and have some finance background, I see that the important concepts were poorly explained with no examples. I also found that the slides were difficult to follow... this course needs a major improvement.

By Aliraza R

Dec 24, 2015

Examples have to be more clear. i cant seem to get anything correct because of computers

By Su m