Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I by Columbia University

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field drawing from finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part I will be on the use of simple stochastic models to price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities, fixed income, credit and mortgage-backed securities. We will also consider the role that some of these asset classes played during the financial crisis. A notable feature of this course will be an interview module with Emanuel Derman, the renowned ``quant'' and best-selling author of "My Life as a Quant". We hope that students who complete the course will begin to understand the "rocket science" behind financial engineering but perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. The follow-on course FE & RM Part II will continue to develop derivatives pricing models but it will also focus on asset allocation and portfolio optimization as well as other applications of financial engineering such as real options, commodity and energy derivatives and algorithmic trading....

DP
Mar 8, 2020

I have an engineering / numerics background and enjoyed this course very much. Good overview and comprehensive explanation of mathematical models of fixed income and equities as well as derivatives.

MM
Jul 11, 2017

I appreciate how this course not only discusses the concepts in technical detail, but actually delves into the mathematics of the subject matter, and teaches how to actually do the actual work inv

126 - 150 of 443 Reviews for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

By Park B

Oct 21, 2019

Perfect course to grasp the fundamental theories in financial engineering and risk management! I deeply appreciate the videos and lecture notes! Hopefully, I can start the next course soon :)

By episode

Jun 9, 2017

The curriculum is interesting and has a good connection to the real market, however some questions are hard to solve because of lacking details which were not mentioned during the teaching.

By Sumanesh M

Nov 3, 2016

Excellent course and learnt a lot of details. It really gives me lot of confidence and motivation to do more courses and I have already started Part 2. Can't wait for it complete.

By kyriacos

Aug 12, 2017

Tests your endurance and helps you improve your MS Excel skills. I had been working on it for some months before I was able to complete it. It was very challenging but rewarding.

By Zehao Y

Jun 7, 2020

I hope professors could provide some tips on the programming and some code suggestions. Sometimes it is too annoying to search and design codes as a university freshman student.

By Lu W

This is a well structured course. Concepts are explained very clearly. Tutors are awesome. The quiz is challenging but very helpful in improving the understanding to the course.

By Guan W

Feb 26, 2017

Wonderful course with helpful materials and assignments. I especially appreciate the depth of assignments, which really helped me discover blind spots in my knowledge structure.

By Jiawei L

Dec 25, 2017

Great course. Challenging quizzes later on but it was definitely worth it to take it (even though I'm already a Finance student and this is literally what I study at school)

By Andrew P

Apr 16, 2018

Very good to increase my already extensive financial knowledge. Easy to follow. Some of the concepts are difficult, but the instructors are good at breaking them down.

By Aphiwat K

Sep 27, 2017

Even the course required much basic knowledge of mathematics and formula, Model is clear and easy to understand. Also, instructor's comment in forum is warm and useful.

By Fernanda R O

Jun 2, 2020

Excellent course, I studied finances in college so I have good bases (probability, algebra, calculus) and this was an great review and very challenging at some points.

By Dr. R M

Nov 15, 2017

Very informative and clear presentation of the material, which makes fun and allows to quickly learn the topics. Furthermore, interesting and practical quiz questions.

By Eric L

Mar 14, 2020

I think this is a great course. I know we've only scratched the surface on the topics covered and simplified things but it was nevertheless a worthwhile experience.

By Carlos A L S

Feb 15, 2018

Very good course, I learned a lot with the teachers. It is a course that I recommend for all my friends. Thanks a lot for everyone that participated in the course.

By Amilcar V

Mar 19, 2017

It was OK! One of the most valuable parts of this course are their excels woorksheets, very very useful. Moreover, the clever view of the trainers is fantastic.

By Timur B

Jan 24, 2016

Brilliant course! It requires some prerequisite knowledge of finance and quantitative analysis but introduces you to financial concepts from a new perspective.

By Matthew L

Sep 30, 2015

This class gives allot of good information on those who are interested in the stock market and how it operates.

Wish I would have started this class sooner.

By SEBASTIAN G

Dec 4, 2020

Great course with a good mix between theory and practice. It's only missing a final capstone to round up all the knowledge and deal with real market data.

By Quentin M

Aug 16, 2016

Very good course to understand financial products. The excel spreadsheets give a good overview of how to price such products in the limits of the model.

By Hecheng/Jun Z

Feb 20, 2021

Very great and ver useful course, I must thank all the lecturers and course provider. This course provide me the great vision to understand the course.

By Matthew T

Jul 25, 2020

A fantastic introduction to interesting financial instruments. Would recommend to anyone whose profession is even tangential to the financial markets.

By Santhana L K S

Jun 29, 2020

Detail and clear lectures videos from both the instructors ! The concepts were designed to be understandable easily. Thanks for this opportunity !

By Steve B

Excelente curso. Representa un gran conocimiento sobre el mercado financiero y la valoración de los activos que se negocian allí. Muy recomendado.

By Abhijit S

Jun 16, 2017

Great course with vast overview of a lot of a financial securities and how to price them. Poses some challenge but fairly straightforward overall!

By Viren K

Apr 15, 2020

Please provide a slightly higher margin of error when accepting answers. A .05 error should be acceptable when computing such complex products