Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I by Columbia University

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field drawing from finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part I will be on the use of simple stochastic models to price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities, fixed income, credit and mortgage-backed securities. We will also consider the role that some of these asset classes played during the financial crisis. A notable feature of this course will be an interview module with Emanuel Derman, the renowned ``quant'' and best-selling author of "My Life as a Quant". We hope that students who complete the course will begin to understand the "rocket science" behind financial engineering but perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. The follow-on course FE & RM Part II will continue to develop derivatives pricing models but it will also focus on asset allocation and portfolio optimization as well as other applications of financial engineering such as real options, commodity and energy derivatives and algorithmic trading....

DP
Mar 8, 2020

I have an engineering / numerics background and enjoyed this course very much. Good overview and comprehensive explanation of mathematical models of fixed income and equities as well as derivatives.

MM
Jul 11, 2017

I appreciate how this course not only discusses the concepts in technical detail, but actually delves into the mathematics of the subject matter, and teaches how to actually do the actual work inv

176 - 200 of 416 Reviews for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part I

By Enrique G R F

Jun 1, 2020

Excellent course, challenging quizzes. Totally recommended learning the math behind finance.

By Ezio L

Apr 28, 2019

Good lectures and excellent exercises to test the understanding. Overall a very good course!

By Carlos D M R

Dec 6, 2018

Great way to understand financial instruments valuation and risk management related with it.

By Avik D

Nov 1, 2016

Fantastic course, Good course on financial mathematics. I am looking forward for FERM II.

By Jairo W

Dec 25, 2015

Very interesting course. I think i get a lot of technical and important tools. Thank you!

By MONTCHO H M

Feb 1, 2018

Very good and challenging course. I recommend this to everyone who likes challenges...

By Luke S L

Apr 25, 2017

Concise and informative content. Good intro to the overall subject. Really enjoyed it.

By Dnyanesh D

Jul 19, 2018

Good course to brush up basics when attempting to learn more complex financial theory

By Evgeniy Z

Feb 7, 2017

Very good course, quite challenging. I think I understand financial world better now.

By John S

Sep 3, 2015

Very interesting. The quizzes after each model compels me to learn and research more.

By Tanishk D

Jun 11, 2020

This course has helped my understanding of the basics of the financial fundamentals.

By Sergio A G

It is hard and very quantitative so be prepared BUT REALLY WORTH IT for your career

By Umme I

Sep 22, 2020

One of the best courses for the Finance Majors and who has an interest in pricing.

By Steven Y

Apr 29, 2019

I enjoyed the course and it gave me a great introduction to financial engineering.

By Alex

Mar 16, 2020

Great course. Martin Haugh and Garud Iyengar are brilliant lectors. Thank you!

By Kuan-Chun L

Feb 8, 2020

Brilliant course. Very helpful material in learning fixed income derivatives.

By ZE H Z

Jun 27, 2017

great course. Quizzes are a bit tricky, but you can figure it out in a while.

By Gregory R

Feb 22, 2017

Great courses, extremely clear. Thanks a lot to both Mr Haugh and Mr Iyengar.

By 叶林楷

Oct 24, 2019

The two professors taught me a lot about FE. I am very grateful for that.

By Naila H

Apr 29, 2020

This course is very customised according to need of contemporary issues.

By Junwei Y

May 31, 2017

Hard for 0-experience starters in finance. But worth of digging in it.

By Tarrade F

Sep 17, 2015

Great course that require some background and some work but excellent.

By weiyizeng

Jul 24, 2020

Great lecture and vedios, also have detail discussion about the quiz!

By Alejandro L

Challenging course, a lot of math but is 100% woth, you learn a lot!

By Yuan Y

Nov 18, 2015

Very good course! Well-organized. The homework helps understanding.