Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part II

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part II by Columbia University

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field involving finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part II will be on the use of simple stochastic models to (i) solve portfolio optimization problems (ii) price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities and credit and (iii) consider some advanced applications of financial engineering including algorithmic trading and the pricing of real options. We will also consider the role that financial engineering played during the financial crisis. We hope that students who complete the course and the prerequisite course (FE & RM Part I) will have a good understanding of the "rocket science" behind financial engineering. But perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism....

SY

Jun 08, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot. The quizzes were challenging but really forced me to think through the problems. The forums were very helpful when I got stuck. Thanks Professors!

MU

Aug 23, 2018

One of the best courses available on Coursera! If you're interested in Quantitative Finance or trying to get a good idea of what financial engineering entails, please take this course.

1 - 25 of 70 Reviews for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part II

By Steven Y

Jun 08, 2019

By Hernan

May 27, 2017

The course is good in general. A comment regarding evaluation: I found the questions rather confusing for several quizzes. I strongly recommend to review that or to add some comments in the lectures that may clarify those issues that troubled students (you can easily review the forum and spot the key points to reinforce).

By Shibbir A

Feb 15, 2019

Excellent course overall with the opportunity to learn about complex products and their pricing, risk management and complex theories with practical exercise from a highly respected university. The course provides a real confidence in trading complex products.

By Chi Z

Jan 22, 2019

Excellent but challenging

By Simon K

Feb 01, 2019

Challengin and iteresting course.

By Artem B

Apr 14, 2019

I enjoyed this course a lot. Very interesting material with references to the modern problems in the industry, great assignments that allow to practice the material and see how it works in practice.

For students it would be better to take part 1 first.

Big thanks to the teachers!

By Roberto P G J

May 06, 2017

Very good

By oscar

Dec 17, 2015

Excellent

By weiziang

Aug 23, 2015

Following this course, and many FE books

By Bouazza S

Feb 06, 2016

Excellent course ! I'm glad I paid for the certification too as it helps me commit to the completion of the course. The lectures in part I and II of the course greatly helped me in landing a cool internship in financial engineering in the Pricing & Development team of Societe Generale Africa Technologies and Services in Casablanca, Morocco and I'm currently doing very well at the company.

By Ronald O

Oct 10, 2015

Im very pleased with this course and the teachers, many thanks to the Columbia university. However, It will be usefull explain the answer when you got it like the first modules in part 1.

By Andrea

Jun 27, 2016

Great, excellent, super !

By Shibin

Dec 07, 2016

Excellent course and teachers with rigorous assignments. Must recommended for FRM candidates or Risk management professionals.

By Alexander M

May 10, 2016

Good lectures and exercises. After this course I had much more understanding how the financial crisis had happened.

By Sandeep J

Jan 03, 2017

These two are excellent courses. Cannot recommend them enough. High Quality lectures, quality assignments, and excellent content. If you would like to understand fundamentals of Derivatives pricing and risk management, then don't think or wait. Just enroll into these courses and have very productive 15-16 weeks of learning!

By Brian W

May 07, 2018

Tough but good!

By Maxim K

May 29, 2016

Great course! Thank you!)

By LENDRICK R

Oct 16, 2017

Loved the in depth study of the topics that were covered. I've a much better understanding of financial topics I was familiar with. :-)

By Yue Z

Dec 25, 2016

Very broad range of topics. Unlike FE&RM Part I, this part requires us to develop Excel formulas independently.

Although all those quiz can be finished within a week, further review of the course is needed to gain better understanding of those core ideas.

By 严晓琦

Jun 19, 2017

challenging and useful

By Nelson d J M C

Mar 30, 2018

Excelent course. The 5th week about Gaussian Copula was very dificult for me. I suggest to improve the explanation of this topic, and to give bibliography. I liked very much the Real Option themes. I would like to have the implementation of natural gas and electricity examples in excel. Thanks to professors Martin Haugh and Garud Iyengar and to the mentors in the forums.

By marco z

Apr 02, 2018

nice course but more pratice exercises won't hurt

By Jhon A A C