Back to Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part II

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part II by Columbia University

Financial Engineering is a multidisciplinary field involving finance and economics, mathematics, statistics, engineering and computational methods. The emphasis of FE & RM Part II will be on the use of simple stochastic models to (i) solve portfolio optimization problems (ii) price derivative securities in various asset classes including equities and credit and (iii) consider some advanced applications of financial engineering including algorithmic trading and the pricing of real options. We will also consider the role that financial engineering played during the financial crisis. We hope that students who complete the course and the prerequisite course (FE & RM Part I) will have a good understanding of the "rocket science" behind financial engineering. But perhaps more importantly, we hope they will also understand the limitations of this theory in practice and why financial models should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism....

SY
Jun 7, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot. The quizzes were challenging but really forced me to think through the problems. The forums were very helpful when I got stuck. Thanks Professors!

TR
Aug 30, 2020

Great course. It is very useful to get into Financial Engineering Topics. The tests are not easy, so every week presents a challenge that forces you to deeply understand what is being taught.

1 - 25 of 99 Reviews for Financial Engineering and Risk Management Part II

By Bouazza S

Feb 6, 2016

Excellent course ! I'm glad I paid for the certification too as it helps me commit to the completion of the course. The lectures in part I and II of the course greatly helped me in landing a cool internship in financial engineering in the Pricing & Development team of Societe Generale Africa Technologies and Services in Casablanca, Morocco and I'm currently doing very well at the company.

By Steven Y

Jun 8, 2019

By Md H U

Aug 23, 2018

One of the best courses available on Coursera! If you're interested in Quantitative Finance or trying to get a good idea of what financial engineering entails, please take this course.

By Hernan

May 27, 2017

The course is good in general. A comment regarding evaluation: I found the questions rather confusing for several quizzes. I strongly recommend to review that or to add some comments in the lectures that may clarify those issues that troubled students (you can easily review the forum and spot the key points to reinforce).

By Sandeep J

Jan 2, 2017

These two are excellent courses. Cannot recommend them enough. High Quality lectures, quality assignments, and excellent content. If you would like to understand fundamentals of Derivatives pricing and risk management, then don't think or wait. Just enroll into these courses and have very productive 15-16 weeks of learning!

By Xin Z

Mar 16, 2018

The professors explained the concepts very clear in an intuitive way. The contents are real stuff and covers a wide range. Although some of them cannot go into depth, useful references are provided. I learned a lot. Thank you!

By Sisay M

Jun 30, 2017

It is a very good course with excellent learning materials and video lectures. For anyone interested to know about financial risk management and derivatives, it is a very good course with examples and practical exercises!

By Carlos S

May 5, 2019

Great course structure. You get the chance to understand the mechanics around securities and derivatives valuation, as well as put in practice what you just have learnt by completing the exams.

By Ronald O

Oct 10, 2015

Im very pleased with this course and the teachers, many thanks to the Columbia university. However, It will be usefull explain the answer when you got it like the first modules in part 1.

By Do H L

Nov 20, 2015

This course is challenging and the skills learnt are valuable. The materials are well-made and formulas well-defined. I hope they provide more practice quizzes.

By Hermon A

Apr 11, 2020

In joint with the first course, they are very good courses to enter financial engineering. I would very glad if there were a third course,

By Shibin

Dec 7, 2016

Excellent course and teachers with rigorous assignments. Must recommended for FRM candidates or Risk management professionals.

By Mauricio S

The topic is interesting. The professors provide little explanations beyond the Slides. Questions in Quices are some times confusing.

By J

Sep 19, 2020

I got a perfect score in the course, but despite of the good structure of syllabus (one of the stars), the subject was not explored in a consistent matter. Some weeks lacked references (text books), and in some lectures the instructor went about quick recitals of the mathematical formulas without any insights or intuition. The instructors also seemed knowledgeable (the second star), but appeared to be always in a hurry. Lots of room for improvement.

By Karen A

Sep 1, 2015

There's no way to get help in this course. I'm stuck on one of the quizzes -- probably just something easy that I've mis-read-- but there's no way to ask questions, so there's no way for me to complete the quiz. This is very frustrating!

By Hauryliuk R

Apr 30, 2020

Teacher doesn't explain the material, just reads from the slides. Forum doesn't work. Quizes questions are incorrect.

By Balachandra P H

Feb 6, 2018

The course was interesting with challenging quizzes. I enjoyed it but struggled to complete the quizzes.

My only humble submission is that the course could have been made little more elaborate so that the understanding could have been better. More examples and exercise/quizzes would have given more practical value.

Thank you for both of your extraordinary efforts in bringing out this practical and valuable course.

By Nelson d J M C

Mar 30, 2018

Excelent course. The 5th week about Gaussian Copula was very dificult for me. I suggest to improve the explanation of this topic, and to give bibliography. I liked very much the Real Option themes. I would like to have the implementation of natural gas and electricity examples in excel. Thanks to professors Martin Haugh and Garud Iyengar and to the mentors in the forums.

By UMAR T

Mar 14, 2020

This course taught by: Garud Iyengar, Professor at Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department about credit derivatives, liquidity, trading costs and portfolio execution is intriguing. The concepts. Also, computation of tranche losses 1-factor Gaussian copula and distribution of the number of losses is the rocket science of financial engineering.

By Charles D S

Dec 31, 2015

The material covered in the course is highly relevant to the current job market. Professors Haugh & Iyengar were great at explaining the material and the quizzes were reasonably difficult. The learning spreadsheets were very good as well. Overall, it was a great learning experience and I will enthusiastically recommend it to my colleagues.

By Kenneth I

May 14, 2020

Very challenging and math-intensive, which you would expect for graduate level at Columbia...I almost gave up but found enough help in the discussion forum to persevere. I have earned 25 certificates on Coursera. This was the 2nd hardest - 1st would be Part I of this course :-)

By Artem B

Apr 14, 2019

I enjoyed this course a lot. Very interesting material with references to the modern problems in the industry, great assignments that allow to practice the material and see how it works in practice.

For students it would be better to take part 1 first.

Big thanks to the teachers!

By Shibbir A

Feb 15, 2019

Excellent course overall with the opportunity to learn about complex products and their pricing, risk management and complex theories with practical exercise from a highly respected university. The course provides a real confidence in trading complex products.

By Yue Z

Dec 25, 2016

Very broad range of topics. Unlike FE&RM Part I, this part requires us to develop Excel formulas independently.

Although all those quiz can be finished within a week, further review of the course is needed to gain better understanding of those core ideas.

By Siddharth A

Apr 26, 2020

This course covers the principles very well . The exercises are challenging but with help from peers and mentors on forum we can get along solving them. Use of excel for solving also makes it easier to understand the concepts coming out in exercises.