Back to Front-End Web Development with React

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Front-End Web Development with React by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course explores Javascript based front-end application development, and in particular the React library (Currently Ver. 16.3). This course will use JavaScript ES6 for developing React application. You will also get an introduction to the use of Reactstrap for Bootstrap 4-based responsive UI design. You will be introduced to various aspects of React components. You will learn about React router and its use in developing single-page applications. You will also learn about designing controlled forms. You will be introduced to the Flux architecture and Redux. You will explore various aspects of Redux and use it to develop React-Redux powered applications. You will then learn to use Fetch for client-server communication and the use of REST API on the server side. A quick tour through React animation support and testing rounds off the course. You must have preferably completed the previous course in the specialization on Bootstrap 4, or have a working knowledge of Bootstrap 4 to be able to navigate this course. Also a good working knowledge of JavaScript, especially ES 5 is strongly recommended. At the end of this course you will: - Be familiar with client-side Javascript application development and the React library - Be able to implement single page applications in React - Be able to use various React features including components and forms - Be able to implement a functional front-end web application using React - Be able to use Reactstrap for designing responsive React applications - Be able to use Redux to design the architecture for a React-Redux application...

NS
Aug 6, 2020

One of the best course of React js and Redux on the web to buid a strong foundation of the subject , one must take this course to build a strong base in the subject.\n\nInsturctor is amazing !!

AR
Oct 4, 2020

Really loved this course!! As a beginner with React JS , this course helped me have a good understanding on the basics. I would definitely recommend this course to folks who are new to React .

51 - 75 of 831 Reviews for Front-End Web Development with React

By Dwayne R

Jul 29, 2020

Course material seriously needs to be updated!

By Michael B

Feb 26, 2020

Did not provide starter code for the examples.

By Rohit S

Aug 20, 2020

Content not up to-date.

By Gabriella V

Dec 9, 2020

I wouldn't recommend this course for beginners in web development. Not because the material is very hard... In fact, the pace and evolution of difficulty is quite great. The reason I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, is that as other students have already stated here - not everything (by far) works perfectly, and while as a beginner you'd want to be told exactly what to do, in this course you'll need to figure stuff out yourself and search the web a lot. I cannot count how many times my application broke through this course. And it wasn't only broken as part of personal work (assignments), but also throughout videos where I actually copied the code and made sure that everything was exactly like the instructor is doing. The reason for this may be that the instructor is using older versions of different features, and while the course is not old in the regular understanding of time - it is old in the sense of how frequently javascript and it's friends are updating :)

I rated 5 because this experience of exploring by myself taught me much more about the reality of web development than following the exact instructor's code would have (and the reality is: things break, a lot, and stackoverflow is your best friend sometimes).

By Samuel S

Sep 20, 2020

Very good intro to React and Redux. Easy to understand the concepts and plenty of hands-on coding too. Tons of additional resources provided, which is great for further self-study. Overall the instructor did an excellent job teaching the complex and vast material.

I especially like that he designed the sample application in such a way that builds it up using the new skills we acquire along the lessons and becomes part of the assignments too. One advice I have for future students is that pleases follow what he says and does in the videos carefully. Give the files the same names and place them in the exactly same directories etc. Otherwise it'll be difficult for your peer reviewers to grade your work.

By Siddharth A

Jul 22, 2020

This is a perfect course for all levels. A great way to learn React is by practicing and getting your hands dirty with coding. The course structure is just perfect and covers all the basics. The assignments are extremely helpful in reinforcing the concepts that you've acquired throughout the course.

There are a few things though, that are missing or are old:

Missing: Different Hooks and their usage

Old: We use the react-redux-forms module for forms which is now in maintenance mode only and itself recommends using Formik.

Hopefully, these things will be updated in the course. But overall, this is a great course for beginners and will give you a fantastic headstart into the React World.

By Pitch A

Nov 2, 2018

The course was challenging but it was all worth it. The course goes through a lot of information to get you started with the React + Redux. After going through the course, I became comfortable writing and understanding how to code in Redux and even adding animations to React code. I can use the code I learned as a template to build React+Redux apps.

My only compaint is that I struggled with the timing as in 1 week you cover 2 to 4 topics / sub modules. I had to extend the deadline twice due to work commitments.I think this course should be adjusted to 6 weeks rather than 4 weeks to provide better pacing for the students.

All in all it was all worth the time and effort!

By Safal P

Aug 15, 2020

I Consider myself highly privileged for getting an opportunity to learn about react under this wonderful course that i have enrolled myself. Along with diving deep into the sub-topics and learning plenty of concepts, i also have got motivation to continue into this field as my career point of view. This Course was really good for student who want to learn react from scratch, assignments provided cover all the concepts that had been taught in the course which helps you to rewind back and refresh the things that you have learned during the course. Jogesh muppala sir is really good faculty and looking forward to learn more from him by enrolling into other courses.

By rochelle r

Feb 25, 2020

I learned a lot in a short amount of time. I especially liked that there were multiple coding exercises during the week that made me feel like I was writing code and a weekly assignment. The instructor gave help to complete the coding exercises so it wasn't all my code but that was fine. The weekly assignments were a bit more challenging in that I had to figure things out for myself and write new code. Well worth the money. My only criticism is that during the videos the captured notes did not contain all the words the instructor had spoken. I had to go the transcript and hand pick words to fill in the gaps...

By Brendan C

Dec 30, 2018

Really excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed this class. My skill level with React and related frameworks is vastly improved, but also my skill level with ES6 has been increase through the various exercises.

Professor Muppala is great at explaining complicated technology in a way that make it easy to understand and remember. And the web site you build over the course of the various exercises is instructive and useful. It provides a great clear template to build your own React-based website.

I thoroughly enjoyed this class.

By Stefan Z

Mar 28, 2020

I needed this course at a point in time where I needed to learn the basics of React really fast. This course helped me learn a lot of the basic concepts like components, routing, redux, using props, action creators, middleware, promises, fetching data from a server and others. It also features a good amount of simple UI design techniques using Bootstrap's grid system and eyecandy like react animations. I recommend this course to those who are new to React and want to get exposed to it in a quick pace.

By Michael N

Dec 10, 2020

As a 'mature' developer with a broad background I chose this course to gain a good understanding and consolidate knowledge from a React / Redux project where there just wasn't time to stop and reflect. However the course leader, a great character, filled in a lot of gaps I had. The problem with the Agile world we live in the present with 10 working day sprints, there's hardly enough time to stop and take stock. This course allowed me to do that. I would recommend a bit of knowledge for a good start.

By VAIBHAV M N

Apr 5, 2020

One of the best React JS course ,much more than what you get to see on documentation web sites.

If you are pursuing this there is a recommendation during the redux part first simply copy all the code given in instructions for every 2 consequent videos and then yourself see the code and try understand what happens even if you dont get it .Then after undo those pasted things see the videos and then give a try you will surely get every damn thing perfectly.

Finally,

Thanks Professor !

By Косюк М М

Jan 5, 2021

A very good course for understanding the system and basics of React js. Perfectly structured, assignments are not by any means boring and are relatively fast to complete, they also have good instructions. Overall the course is worth any time and money you spend on it. The one drawback is that, althuogh big part is basic libraries and modules, there are numerous deprecated features, so I think if the course have been updated to use the modern ones it would become just perfect.

By Ayush P

Sep 2, 2021

Really awesome course! The resources/ additional links are actually something. It helped me to make a habit of reading docs and not just going through tutorial hell. The assignments are perfect, it might take u time to figure it out if u r new. The lectures pace and assignments difficulty is just perfect. The teacher and the teaching style is plausible. The teacher would perfectly guide u to get u through this course easily and u will learn everything in no time.

By Henri T

Jul 19, 2020

That was a well made online course! I also found it more challenging than most of those courses that I have made so far or I'm currently doing and it went even a bit deeper to the subject than just name of the course would make you think. Some of the content was a bit outdated already and some very small mistakes in the exercise instructions, but nothing too bad. I can highly recommend, if you are interested to learn React basics or test your current skills!

By Ezequiel J A V

Oct 31, 2020

Very complete. It's relevant to today's needs. I learned a lot. If you know the basics of html, css and JS, this course will take you to the next level. After you take it, all you have to do is create your own projects to refine your knowledge. It might seem a long course, but it's because the instructor really put a lot of effort into teaching everything, so that you understand what is a good application vs what is a really great an efficient one.

By Alexandre S

Jun 25, 2020

There are lots of exercises and coding samples, and this is what makes this course so great. I do not know how well the content is update to the most recent versions of react, but this gives a whole view of the process, including Redux. I really enjoyed the content, the approach of Prof. Muppala, and defnitely recommend specially for backend developers that want to learn more about front-end and become full-stack.

By Srinath B

Oct 13, 2020

This is an excellent course for beginners looking to gain knowledge in the React framework in Front end web development. The course has all the materials required to have knowledge of the concepts and if you could spend some time on other resources provided in this course, apart from lectures, you would get a lot of information. I'm thankful to Coursera and Professor Joseph Muppala for this awesome experience.

By Sarah L

Feb 14, 2021

This is a great course for those who want to get started with react. This instructor is very clear. The reading exercises are very helpful and easy to follow. Of course, there is no single course that can explain everything in great detail. Overall, I would recommend this course to anyone who is a beginner in react. Disclaimer: the discussion forums are very inactive and usually you get no response.

By Amandla M M

Jan 2, 2021

I learned a lot from the course. It was my first time really learning React from the basics and the content was very sorted in the best way. I managed to grasp the core concepts of React. I am confident to say that I know React after taking this course. And I think I have a solid knowledge to take my React skill further. Thank you to the University of Hong Kong and the awesome instructor, Mr Muppala

By Jeffrey S

Jun 15, 2020

Jogesh is a great teacher. I love his style. Simple, yet very effective in my opinion.

What I also like is the coverage of this course, it is enough to learn a lot and build your confidence.

More people would benefit further if this course is updated. Perhaps it is time to make an updated one. Otherswise, you could still learn a lot which is still usable knowledge and skills.

By MD A H

Feb 20, 2021

The react course was awesome enjoyed too much like on every week new topic I have to learn on 3rd week when redux was introduced it was little bit tough but the way sir has given explanation I watched two times and cleared my doubt's . Course design for react is wonderful all the important topic of react is covered in this course. THANK YOU SO MUCH SIR!

By Kaushik B

Apr 27, 2020

Amazing course! This is my second course from Prof. Jogesh Muppala and I'm very satisfied. I will definitely enroll in the other courses taught by Prof. Jogesh. Although, this is an introductory course to ReactJS and it is a vast library, so building projects eith ReactJS after completing this course is the best way to learn more and be a master at it.

By Shwethavally S

Aug 17, 2020

Great content!! Concepts explained decently with quite a good amount of hands on. Assignments at the end of each module/ week, helps one to understand/ test the concepts taught. Instructions for the assignments were very clearly explained, facilitating the smooth completion. Had a really good time doing this course. Enjoyed a lot. Thanks to Coursera.