Back to Genomic Data Science with Galaxy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Genomic Data Science with Galaxy by Johns Hopkins University

3.7

Learn to use the tools that are available from the Galaxy Project. This is the second course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization....

GK

Sep 06, 2018

This was a lot of work and rewarding to complete. The final project was challenging and the forum contributors helped a lot in pointing out good resources or strategies they had used.

BG

Feb 03, 2018

Great Course if you are interested in dissecting the genome. Galaxy opens up this invisible world and allows even us little people to explore the world once reserved to only Academia.

101 - 125 of 152 Reviews for Genomic Data Science with Galaxy

By Laurel A L

Jun 05, 2018

course project was not a reflection of the course

By Amy L

Aug 08, 2017

This was an excellent course to get started with Galaxy, which is a very user-friendly tool. However, I would have liked to see more in-depth explanations of different ways to analyze sequencing data in Galaxy. The course project strayed a bit from the course content, and completing it felt more like trial-and-error than learn-and-apply.

By ruchira s

Mar 31, 2019

The course content was great but the project was hard considering how the material was not covered in so much detail. Also, there was no help provided in regards to my query for answer key. Even after trying second time I wasn't sure if my answers were right , which they were but I had to wait a very long time in anticipation of results.

By José A C E

Jun 26, 2019

I am highly dissatisfied with the final project. It requires an understanding of galaxy that is not provided in the course. The quantity of tools and the general usage, details and tricks for each one makes the final project far more challenging given the knowledge acuired in the course. At least there should be a final feedback by the course about the answer submitted for the final project (I never knew what could be consider a "correct" number of variants).

By Dongyuan W

Jul 15, 2019

The materials did not make sense for people who without basic knowledge about biology, just like me. The videos just told you "How to do it" but not "Why to do it". I really feel soooooo difficult to finish the final project.

By Melissa M X H

Sep 28, 2019

Quite a few assumptions of knowledge for the learner making it difficult for a beginner to understand

By Tianming W

Nov 22, 2019

Lack of essential guidance to finish the project. Would recommend beginners to take command line course in advance to know bcf file format before starting this course.

By Ian P

May 23, 2018

I was disappointed by this course. The course seemed to assume one already knew a great deal about genomics and simply wanted to learn to use the Galaxy platform. As the second (of 7) course in the "Genomics Data Science" sequence, I had expected to learn more about genomic analysis. The course felt like publicity for the Galaxy platform, and was generally uninteresting. Experiments were run, but the input data and output results were hardly discussed. Some of the examples didn't run. I did not complete the course.

By Lisa B

Apr 01, 2018

This course isn't kept up to date, no one from the course staff answers questions on the discussion forums (I see unanswered questions going back more than 6 months), and the lectures didn't sufficiently prepare most people for the course assignment. I have a reasonably strong molecular biology and coding background so it wasn't a problem for me, but I can see on the forums that a lot of people (especially those coming from a CS background rather than bio) are understandably very confused.

By Meghana

Feb 17, 2016

The lectures were very informative and clear. I had no problem giving the quizzes with the lectures. The project I had no clue where to begin. There has to be extra lectures included to guide the project. I hope they add some lectures as whatever lectures are currently available are

By Jason C

Feb 14, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with how there was absolutely no outside help/feedback from instructors or mentors in the forums when clearly the final project was outside the scope of the material presented. In the future it would helpful if either the lectures were modified to be more helpful in completion of the final project or the final project to be reflected of material in the lectures. Either way I felt like I taught myself all of this material using web resources and got absolutely nothing for what I paid for.

By Shannon W

Dec 12, 2017

It would probably help most people to take Course 5: Command line Tools before this course, and note that you don't have to get a functioning local galaxy environment on your computer before continuing on in the course, so don't waste your time (on some systems) trying to get the local galaxy to work.

By Casey K

Oct 23, 2017

The final project is TOUGH for beginners and requires you to implement skills that were not touched upon during the course. Course instructor is pretty much absent/non-responsive in the forums. Furthermore, you are supposed to grade your peers, and they you, WITHOUT an answer key in order to pass. Blind leading the blind, so to speak. I wouldn't recommend taking this course for credit. Just take the free version.

By Maximilian K

Jan 05, 2017

The course Info was too simple. While the explanation of Why Galaxy and what the idea behind it was great, the content taught by the videos was more than basic. All this I have learned by trial and error myself, and I completely missed the info of WHY using THIS tool and not others. About extra options we did not talk at all.

Additionally, after all these easy lectures and quizzes we were left with the final assignment that was super-hard. The vidoes only prepared for 1/3 of the workflow asked for, and for the rest one was left alone with a tool that was suboptimally introduced. Furthermore, the galaxy instance was crashing regularly, making the convenient batch tool impossible to use.

While I liked the idea of grading each other, it was too much work, as everybody got different answers, because of too hard questions. Therefore I spent quite some time on grading, which I did not expect

By Alan A

Jan 23, 2017

I am taking this course as a requirement for the Data Science Specialization. I appreciated the concept of learning a platform in which I could conduct bioinformatics, but I feel the course did not provide adequate guidance and information. The lectures were basically video workshops with a few gems of knowledge here and there. I am now at the end of the course but I feel like I learned nothing but a few steps to running an analysis or two ( which I could have done for free through the Galaxy website itself). More significantly, its not wholly clear to me why some of the processes were conducted, or what, explicitly, could be gleaned from the analyses. My expectations were that the lectures would be more in depth about the science behind the tools available, why you would use such tools, and when to use such tools. I think this course would have been perfect as primarily an intellectual course with a hands-on introduction towards the end.

By annet k

Jan 08, 2018

This is a very good course but I took a lot of time on the final project because it was very difficult since much of the work was not covered in class.

By Valdir B J

Feb 18, 2018

Classes and quizzes are good. Final project is AWFUL (there is no lecture teaching about variant calling tools on Galaxy and how to manipulate VCF files and THAT`S what they pick for a final project!). Learners are left alone and lost to complete it. You have to dig through the discussion forum to get some kind of hint of where to start. The peer review system is also not a great way to do it, since as I mentioned the reviewers themselves (learners) are lost on the subject, so how can they even review something?

By Lily Z Z

Jun 08, 2018

This course made me confused all the time. There was a great leap between the first introductory course and the second (current) one in this genomic data science specialization. The first course seemed designed for beginners, while the second one requires a decent amount of background knowledge about possibly programming and other data analysis technologies. However, information such that is unclear on the mainpage of this specialization; as it says, "Some related experience required." Also, the final project was somewhat so irrelevant from the course lecture that a great deal of self study was required, which was another great leap of difficulty in this course. I think that such challenge and difficulty would actually be acceptable if the students could be announced beforehand, before the project started or even before we got enrolled in this course so that we would evaluate the difficulty and be mentally prepared for the project.

By Marta K

Jun 09, 2016

I have very mixed feelings after completing this course. I can hardly say I feel I have learned any valuable stuff, especially in contrast to the first course when I had a feeling "I am growing with knowledge".

Here, I was able to follow lectures' instructions but I did not fully understand why I was doing this and that. I believe not enough foundation was given to make people use the Galaxy tools consciously. The final project was ridiculously far more difficult than what had been covered in the class. I truly believe in the idea of giving ambitious final projects, but I do not believe in the idea of giving the project that is by no means doable based on the course content. Very discouraging.

By Abhinaya S

Oct 25, 2017

The course itself was not bad. I did learn a good bit about some of the tools in Galaxy. The project was a complete disaster. Very little of what was actually taught in the course was applicable to the project. I ended up putting in over 5-6 hours on just the project. The whole reason for taking a course is so that someone can teach me things and I can learn them. If I knew I would just be spending all my time self-learning, I'd save myself the money and just do it myself. Very poorly designed. I gave it a 2 star rating only because the actual course lectures were decent.

By Lynette P

Mar 10, 2016

Nice overview of Galaxy, but does not really provide enough information for a beginner to start using it without additional resources.

By Jorge C

Apr 08, 2016

poor ! very superficial .

By Dylan B

Oct 11, 2017

End course work was too difficult. A lot of the technical details were not covered in the lectures which you needed for the exams and course work. In the end spent a lot longer than the estimated 2-3 hours for the course work, because of tedious Googling. I'd cover variants a lot more during the lectures and how to go from a RNA-seq data set to a variant caller and how to get the data from the info side of the columns. More detail please in the lectures!

By ELISA W

Apr 30, 2018

I found this course to include very little informative teaching. I felt like there was a lot of information that could have been explained, but wasn't. Even the lectures associated with learning Galaxy, was more an exercise in clicking things, than understanding what the goals were. I also don't like how there were lectures associated with setting up a personal instance and using AWS, when neither was a good/viable option, and neither was necessary for this class. Finally, I do not feel we got enough direction to do really much of anything on our own, without significant self-learning. I wasn't given even enough tools to understand remotely how to handle the final. I feel like if I wanted to just learn it all by myself, then I wouldn't have signed up for a course.

By Jason T

Aug 02, 2016

I think this course might have been great if I did it like 5th or 6th in the certificate sequence. I think this course assumes you have a lot of knowledge about both biology and statistics that I do not have, nor will anyone else who has only taken the first intro course. Even after having submitted my final assignment and peer reviewing others, it is not clear whether or not I or any of my classmates used the correct methods to complete the assignment. A valid solution to the final project hasn't even been given to us as part of the course, so I'll never know whether or not I did it correctly.