Back to Genomic Data Science with Galaxy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Genomic Data Science with Galaxy by Johns Hopkins University

3.7

Learn to use the tools that are available from the Galaxy Project. This is the second course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization....

BG

Feb 03, 2018

Great Course if you are interested in dissecting the genome. Galaxy opens up this invisible world and allows even us little people to explore the world once reserved to only Academia.

GK

Sep 06, 2018

This was a lot of work and rewarding to complete. The final project was challenging and the forum contributors helped a lot in pointing out good resources or strategies they had used.

26 - 50 of 227 Reviews for Genomic Data Science with Galaxy

By Charles W

I was able to pass the course course project on my first try, but I think that it might help to provide more background for others with less genomics experience. So, I gave the course 5 stars, but I can see how others might more fairly give the course 4 stars.

Also, while interesting, I wonder if it might have helped to provide a link about how to install Galaxy locally or run on the crowd, without making that a graded section. I used the main Galaxy interface without needing to use those other options. However, I had the impression that running the local instance might help (and I think that can add frustration and/or cost). So, I think not having that as a formal requirement can avoid implying that it might help for the course project.

By Charles Y

Aug 19, 2020

Thank you Professor James Taylor for this course, and rest in peace! This was a very helpful and challenging course. Galaxy is a very powerful and easily accessible platform, especially considering that it is free to use. There are tons of Tools in Galaxy, and part of the challenge (and frustration!) is figuring out which Tool is appropriate to use (as it is with any Data Science, really). Although the lectures were helpful and informative, you really need to take the time yourself to learn about and read into the different Tools in Galaxy. Do not try to Google answers to the quiz questions or project, or you won't end up learning much by taking the easy way out.

By Sreenithya R

Jun 20, 2019

This was a great course! For beginners, this will feel very easy in the beginning but there is a lot more to know and understand. One suggestion from me will be to read the manual for every tool you would use in Galaxy. Also, the course lectures need to be updated. Overall, it was a good experience learning Galaxy.

By Aggelos K

Dec 30, 2019

The course was of high level and I am glad I learnt a totally new to me tool. I am truly satisfied. If I could propose something to be ameliorated, I would suggest making the videos flow faster .

Thank you for this wonderful course! I am looking forward to starting the next one for the Specialization!

By Ramón Q B

Me parece que la herramienta Galaxy es bastante completa y que James Taylor hizo un trabajo genial con este curso. He aprendido lo necesario para empezar a trabajar en esta plataforma y el proyecto final te permite desarrollar de manera adecuada todas las competencias aprendidas durante el curso.

By Gouri V

Mar 14, 2016

Very good experience. The lectures seemed to have covered very few topics but I was able to manage. It will be nice to have more information on running galaxy locally and the way tools and genomes can be imported/installed as that is one thing I really struggled with. Overall the course is good.

By Sameer K

Jul 15, 2020

This course is a gateway to bioinformatics applications in genomics. Galaxy has almost every updated tool that is used in NGS analyses. And all that without a need to use command languages. As such, it offers an easy way to handle genomic data. Great course for the beginners.

By Pushpendra S

Aug 10, 2019

It is very nice Course to learn the hands-on dry lab work for Biologists. Its Project assignments in last with review other classmates work made it more valuable. Galaxy local Installation is also very good concept to teach properly.

By Amogh K

Jul 06, 2020

Good course, however should have been some more explanations considering you can take it as a beginner and some more guidance for the final project. Also there seems to be no instructor painting the forums.

By Geoffrey K

Sep 06, 2018

By Bill G

Feb 03, 2018

By Rene C

Jun 12, 2016

Great instructor with clear and thorough understanding of the material. If you don't have any experience with this technology, this course will walk you through it patiently.

By Marcelo B P

Sep 14, 2020

Very nice on-the-job experience to help sequencing DNA. Galaxy is not an easy tool, but the course project makes us think and discover the best usage of the tool.

By Xiaofan Z

Jul 23, 2017

This course offers a practical way to start NGS data analysis with Galaxy, and a overall concept about what to do when we handle Genomic Data, with less pain.

By Jose G

Jan 27, 2016

Perfect for basic analysis using Galaxy. Course will help you get over the fear of using some of the rather complex tools used for RNA-seq analysis.

By Larysa S

Mar 08, 2016

I liked this course. I would like to study more examples of genome data processing. I wish good luck to creators and mentors of the course.

By Dahis M

Aug 09, 2018

Very useful course, do not miss it. It puts a lot of things together. The project will make you work a lot if you really want to learn.

By Surbhi M

Apr 30, 2020

Nice course content. I loved doing the project assignment as I have learnt a basic workflow for the analysis with this assignment.

By Anu B

Aug 22, 2020

Very challenging with a fabulous assignment at the end. Really hones in your skills you've been taught throughout the course.

By Fedor K

Dec 22, 2016

Good introduction to Galaxy. The final project will require a lot of reading and time understanding various tools.

By Li K M

Apr 01, 2020

Nice introduction to Galaxy. I feel more comfortable in using the platform for sequence analysis.

By Mihai P

Dec 17, 2017

Useful and lightweight course; except the final exam which is quite difficult, in my opinion.

By Abdul S K

Jul 31, 2018

This course is very helpful for postgraduate students dealing with sequence data analysis.

By Anurag D

Apr 10, 2020

James Taylor was an exceptional instructor. Pleasure learning galaxy with him

By Tom

Jun 20, 2019

Outstanding class, maybe slightly out of date unless it's been refreshed.