Back to Genomic Data Science with Galaxy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Genomic Data Science with Galaxy by Johns Hopkins University

3.7

Learn to use the tools that are available from the Galaxy Project. This is the second course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization....

BG

Feb 03, 2018

Great Course if you are interested in dissecting the genome. Galaxy opens up this invisible world and allows even us little people to explore the world once reserved to only Academia.

GK

Sep 06, 2018

This was a lot of work and rewarding to complete. The final project was challenging and the forum contributors helped a lot in pointing out good resources or strategies they had used.

151 - 175 of 218 Reviews for Genomic Data Science with Galaxy

By Pingna D

May 15, 2020

The course needs to be improved: the content provides minimal information to the course project; during the lecture, it keeps saying "ignore" the QC, should have said "due to time limit, we skip here in this lecture, but keep in mind QC is critical to all the sequencing raw data before further analysis". The course time is limit, and it is okay, but should provide "reading assignment" that helps to doing the course project. I actually have do do all the research and reading totally out of the course content in order to finish the project, as I have no clue at all. I appreciate that I could get so much through the internet.

By Jason T

Aug 02, 2016

I think this course might have been great if I did it like 5th or 6th in the certificate sequence. I think this course assumes you have a lot of knowledge about both biology and statistics that I do not have, nor will anyone else who has only taken the first intro course. Even after having submitted my final assignment and peer reviewing others, it is not clear whether or not I or any of my classmates used the correct methods to complete the assignment. A valid solution to the final project hasn't even been given to us as part of the course, so I'll never know whether or not I did it correctly.

By Abhinaya S

Oct 25, 2017

The course itself was not bad. I did learn a good bit about some of the tools in Galaxy. The project was a complete disaster. Very little of what was actually taught in the course was applicable to the project. I ended up putting in over 5-6 hours on just the project. The whole reason for taking a course is so that someone can teach me things and I can learn them. If I knew I would just be spending all my time self-learning, I'd save myself the money and just do it myself. Very poorly designed. I gave it a 2 star rating only because the actual course lectures were decent.

By Ian P

May 23, 2018

I was disappointed by this course. The course seemed to assume one already knew a great deal about genomics and simply wanted to learn to use the Galaxy platform. As the second (of 7) course in the "Genomics Data Science" sequence, I had expected to learn more about genomic analysis. The course felt like publicity for the Galaxy platform, and was generally uninteresting. Experiments were run, but the input data and output results were hardly discussed. Some of the examples didn't run. I did not complete the course.

By Valdir B J

Feb 18, 2018

Classes and quizzes are good. Final project is AWFUL (there is no lecture teaching about variant calling tools on Galaxy and how to manipulate VCF files and THAT`S what they pick for a final project!). Learners are left alone and lost to complete it. You have to dig through the discussion forum to get some kind of hint of where to start. The peer review system is also not a great way to do it, since as I mentioned the reviewers themselves (learners) are lost on the subject, so how can they even review something?

By Jason C

Feb 14, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with how there was absolutely no outside help/feedback from instructors or mentors in the forums when clearly the final project was outside the scope of the material presented. In the future it would helpful if either the lectures were modified to be more helpful in completion of the final project or the final project to be reflected of material in the lectures. Either way I felt like I taught myself all of this material using web resources and got absolutely nothing for what I paid for.

By Lisa B

Apr 01, 2018

This course isn't kept up to date, no one from the course staff answers questions on the discussion forums (I see unanswered questions going back more than 6 months), and the lectures didn't sufficiently prepare most people for the course assignment. I have a reasonably strong molecular biology and coding background so it wasn't a problem for me, but I can see on the forums that a lot of people (especially those coming from a CS background rather than bio) are understandably very confused.

By Dan S

Mar 01, 2020

I felt like I didn't learn very much on this course. I think this course could have a lot of potential, but the course was very lacking in terms of explaining WHY things should be done. There was quite a bit of explanation of how to use the Galaxy platform, but there was very little explanation on why you should actually perform those tasks on the Galaxy platform. I felt like for the most part, I was just pushing buttons, without knowing why I should be pressing them.

By ALEJANDRO M P

Jul 08, 2020

One word for this course: SUFFERING. The lessons given by Dr James Taylor (RIP) were not so good. The final assignment does not have any coherence with the contents; I felt that I received the knowledge for basic commands for galaxy (Rockie level) and suddenly I was searching for any resources on the web to accomplish the DNA Polymorphism of final project (Master level). Yes, I learned something, but I think that the course should be reviewed for a better e-learning.

By Dylan B

Oct 11, 2017

End course work was too difficult. A lot of the technical details were not covered in the lectures which you needed for the exams and course work. In the end spent a lot longer than the estimated 2-3 hours for the course work, because of tedious Googling. I'd cover variants a lot more during the lectures and how to go from a RNA-seq data set to a variant caller and how to get the data from the info side of the columns. More detail please in the lectures!

By Junior B

Jul 09, 2020

I have learned far more by doing the final course project than with the lectures and all I've learned while doing the course project I've learned it via internet.

The videos were not that intereseting, you could put all the interesting content of the 4 weeks in 1 or 2 videos of 10 minutes.

The final course project was a "nightmare" (but a formative one) as the indications didn't allow you to self check your progress.

By Casey K

Oct 23, 2017

The final project is TOUGH for beginners and requires you to implement skills that were not touched upon during the course. Course instructor is pretty much absent/non-responsive in the forums. Furthermore, you are supposed to grade your peers, and they you, WITHOUT an answer key in order to pass. Blind leading the blind, so to speak. I wouldn't recommend taking this course for credit. Just take the free version.

By Shannon W

Dec 12, 2017

It would probably help most people to take Course 5: Command line Tools before this course, and note that you don't have to get a functioning local galaxy environment on your computer before continuing on in the course, so don't waste your time (on some systems) trying to get the local galaxy to work.

By Meghana

Feb 17, 2016

The lectures were very informative and clear. I had no problem giving the quizzes with the lectures. The project I had no clue where to begin. There has to be extra lectures included to guide the project. I hope they add some lectures as whatever lectures are currently available are

By SilMez

Mar 05, 2020

The course gives a rudimentary introduction to Galaxy. Rudimentary in the sense that it doesn`t provide enough basis to solve the course project. With absolutely no feedback coming from the instructors, that makes the course project completely unnecessary. A MC test would do.

By Omnia G

Jul 18, 2019

The course need to be updated and the contents is very poor and does not prepare student to carry out analysis on his own. The course always suggest reading the documentation however the course does not help to be able to understand documentation.

By Zachary L

Apr 09, 2020

This course could be removed from the specialization and just continue from class 1 into python. I do not see myself going back to use Galaxy and I was just trying to get through the course while in course 1 and 3 I am loving it.

By Jennifer D

Nov 21, 2016

The course material did not cover anything that we needed to complete the final exam. Although I learned a lot working on the final exam, I felt overly stressed & I had to self teach myself in order to get through it.

By SathyaKumar R

Jun 15, 2020

The project was very difficult to do and there was absolutely no relation to the subject matter covered and the project. I spent several days to complete this one single project.

By Bartłomiej P

Jul 11, 2020

Waste of time. The videos and lectures don't provide sufficient information to complete the final assignment. There are better ways to learn how to use Galaxy.

By annet k

Jan 08, 2018

This is a very good course but I took a lot of time on the final project because it was very difficult since much of the work was not covered in class.

By Swati

Sep 27, 2018

Not very well explained concepts in the course. The project at the end is very challenging based of on what has been taught in lectures.

By Lynette P

Mar 10, 2016

Nice overview of Galaxy, but does not really provide enough information for a beginner to start using it without additional resources.

By Jee M L

Dec 09, 2019

Overall, I think this was a poorly designed course. What was presented in the videos were barely enough to complete the assignment.

By Supratim D

Jul 18, 2020

Some lectures are very vague and topics were needed to be explained in further details.