Back to Genomic Data Science with Galaxy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Genomic Data Science with Galaxy by Johns Hopkins University

3.7

Learn to use the tools that are available from the Galaxy Project. This is the second course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization....

GK

Sep 06, 2018

This was a lot of work and rewarding to complete. The final project was challenging and the forum contributors helped a lot in pointing out good resources or strategies they had used.

BG

Feb 03, 2018

Great Course if you are interested in dissecting the genome. Galaxy opens up this invisible world and allows even us little people to explore the world once reserved to only Academia.

126 - 144 of 144 Reviews for Genomic Data Science with Galaxy

By Rhian C

Jan 13, 2017

Save your money and just work through the free Galaxy 101 tutorials on the Galaxy site! I found that the lecturers sometimes used random terminology without ever explaining it (for example, "tags" is another word for sequencing reads, but this is only ever used in RNA-seq methodology, and then only rarely). Also, the final peer reviewed project isn't explained very well and uses tools and methods that aren't even within the scope of the module. Mostly just a waste of time.

By J'aime M

Jan 13, 2017

The material/information required for the capstone was not covered in the lectures and required considerable additional time and effort to find via online forums and the galaxy pages themselves. A manual of code examples and types of jobs would have been great. Further a better use of time would be to start doing the capstone on day 1 and do all of the lectures and quizzes later as the quizzes were very easy and anecdotal, but the capstone required more time then scheduled in the course.

By Priscilla C

Apr 09, 2017

This course is really bad. I didnt understood anything until by myself and with tutorials I could do it.

By Ammar A

May 08, 2016

Good introduction to the galaxy tool. However, the final project was too difficult for what was given in the lectures. I spent 97% of the time I spent on the course doing only the final project. It was too difficult and unfair. I think a way to improve the final project might be to make easier a little bit and give exclusive lectures to help students to do the final project.

By Robert K

Aug 31, 2016

This course is supposed to be part of specialization. Unfortunately this is a second course, and the first part doesn't provide necessary information on what we actually do with Galaxy. It felt like following instructions to push certain buttons.

I would only recommend it to knowledgeable people with certain background, that should be listed as a REQUIRED knowledge. I hardly learned anything, except for that there is something called Galaxy, we do some analysis by pushing buttons, using preconfigured tools. I don't have expertise to analyse data on my own... unfortunately.

As I applied for a financial help here, I won't complain much :).

By Timothy S

Feb 22, 2016

This course was very disappointing and much of the content in the tests and course did not show up in the course project. I felt like the course project was far more advanced than all the other detail. In addition, there was minimal to NO detail on instruction. VERY poor development here and I would not recommend it to anyone. All you need to do is look at all the threads of complaints. I am looking forward to the next Python course and h

By Omar D

May 27, 2016

This course's content is useful but honestly the final project is ridiculous because it is peer reviewed and the project is not very straightforward. Everyone gets different answers and without an answer key, no one knows what is right and wrong making it is almost impossible to pass. This needs to change.

By Ali R K

Feb 21, 2016

It gives a quick background on Galaxy and its softwares. Content is appropriate but does not prepare you for even the final assignment or real genomic problems.

By Vassil D

May 16, 2016

Course Project is way outside of what was taught in class.

By Makragić A

Oct 26, 2016

I suggest to do this course ONLY if you're doing whole specialization.

Course is simply bad, teacher doesn't give to much information and project is very hard to finish.

By David P

Aug 07, 2016

This class presents very elementary information in the video lectures, then it requires knowledge far beyond what is taught in the course to finish the final project.

By Ted S

Oct 26, 2016

This course doesn't teach much beyond how to use Galaxy tools.

Apr 25, 2017

Awful course. The lectures IN NO WAY prepare you for the final assignment which is supposed to take two hours. The "course" consists of really boring videos of the instructor using Galaxy and in no way teaches you anything about using Galaxy or how it works. The lectures and quizzes are a joke. You can pass the quizzes just by watching the videos. I got to the final assignment and had no clue what to do if you. I know nothing about bioinformatics, or NGS (which is why I took and paid for this stupid course) so I spent WEEKS on the final assignment and I STILL could not finish or pass the course. Whoever allows this course to still exist and waste people's time and take their money should be ASHAMED of themselves. Read the discussion forums and you'll see what I'm talking abut. DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE.

By Anas A

Jul 12, 2016

First, the instructor assumes that the students know so much background knowledge when the students are expecting to learn these stuff in the course. I also feel that this course teaches students to memorize steps needed to accomplish certain operations in Galaxy without explaining why it occurs.

By Dmitriy S

Aug 01, 2016

Course assignment requires knowledge that is not discussed in the course. Various inconsistencies throughout the course. Week 4's material is not really helpful and I had a feeling that the instructior just wanted to "wrap up" the course and didn't really care if the material is appropriate. Poorly written quizzes.

By Mohammed S K

Mar 27, 2017

Very poor presentation and content. Difficult to navigate and all the links used including that for Galaxy are outdated. There was no effort made to provide a method to get through the course given all the changes since the videos were recorded. This course is the reason I have decided not to pursue the specialization it falls under.

By Jumanah F N B

Aug 12, 2019

The course does not teach enough to be able to complete the final assignment. There should be more videos to explain how to use the tools and with which parameters in the final assignment, or there should be a simpler final assignment.

By Matteo B

Aug 11, 2019

Dumbest course I ever seen......confused and very low level. The final exam is peer reviewed by two classmates and I didn't pass because one classmate is unable to open the vcf file

By Hans W

Sep 08, 2019

The lecturer only shortly explains what it is we are trying to analyze. He quickly skips over the biology and tells where to click in Galaxy. Additionally I can understand that frequently you would like to stick to the default values. Every now and then the lecturer changes some parameters without explaining well enough how and why to do so.

The assignment at the end is tough. It is hard to accomplish with only the course material as background. One needs to look for other Galaxy tutorials to successfully complete the assignment.