Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

1 - 25 of 417 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Anamaria K

Apr 17, 2017

The teacher is wonderful, the course is very fun and wonderfully structured - I would highly recommend it! It is in itself like a multiplayer game that I enjoyed playing! :) The peer-reviewed assignments were really allowing me to learn by doing and to gradually learn from my and others' mistakes. All together, it was great!

By Quentin H

Dec 06, 2018

Great course

By Ng C L

Jan 03, 2019

It teaches very important basics, and has the information you need to help you get start on Game Design. Instructions are also very clear and simple for you to follow through, so even if you don't have a background knowledge, this will be a good starting point.

By Wafa' B

Jan 31, 2019

Great course by Mr. Fran and the team at CALARTS. Looking forward to complete this program!

By Shanna S

Feb 04, 2019

This was my first course on COURSERA and first course about game design. It has really opened my mind to many characteristics of game design. It a super helpful course if your starting in game design(which I am!). You'll have the opportunity to review others and be reviewed, which is very important! The feedback I got really helped me to go forward, and reviewing others gave me the opportunity to see many different designs and ways to build game mechanics. It's very great.

By Ran C

Nov 12, 2018

啊啊啊啊啊太棒了。 so great. so jealous of you American students who have these super fun professor! :joy:

By Christopher G

Feb 12, 2019

You learn the basic concepts of game designing with interactive and funny week assessments, very useful and enjoyable!

By Liv

Mar 05, 2019

You can tell a lot of love was put into this course. Tons of fun. Really informative and entertaining videos!

By Non A

Mar 08, 2019

Great course!

By sugam m

Mar 19, 2019

Good start to understand the game mechanics. Thanks

By Charlotte H

Dec 14, 2018

Great content, perfect level for beginners with a wide scope that can apply to all sorts of games. The videos are fun, engaging and really worth watching.

By Bao T

Aug 06, 2018

Amazing for anyone who is starting out on the road to making a game

By Ana R M B

Aug 24, 2018

I found the course to be very well structured and interesting; it was very exciting to learn all the basics of game design. The teacher was very engaging and the homework, while basic enough for beginners, was challenging enough to keep things interesting. My only suggestion is, if possible, also have a teacher grading our projects and not just peers. As much as valuable and important peer feedback is, I think it doesn't replace an expert's evaluation.

By Troy N

Oct 11, 2018

Deceptively simple at first but becomes much more involved. Excellent through simplicity.

By Tiana D

Sep 17, 2018

Great course, learnt a lot, especially from the assignments and peer feedback.

By Breanne C

Sep 18, 2018

This course starts off a bit degrading with the puppets and such, which can make you feel like you're being talked down to like a child, but if you stick with it, the course actually pans out nicely and has some decent topics to cover. I genuinely enjoy the instructor and actually went out to get a couple copies of his Deep Dark Fears anthologies; Fran's attention to detail and imagination is a joy to experience.

I found that the peers performing the reviews of my assignments were a bit too focused on the hard and fast requirement of the assignments, rather than keeping their eyes on the figurative prize, that being the "fun" factor; rather than focusing on the level of enjoyability, which I view as paramount, I found time and time again that my peers were steadfastly grasping the submission's guidelines until they got proverbial white knuckles.

The fact that not only the game board, but also the pieces and rules all on one sheet of paper must all fit to one single-sided sheet of paper is a catch 22 here, as whenever I crammed it all into one sheet, I got negative feedback that (nomater how much brevity was exercised) it felt cramped, whereas when I provided supplemental materials to address said issue, I was docked points for going beyond one single-sided sheet of paper.

I find this incredibly frustrating and in direct spite of the fundamental point being conveyed throughout this course. I very much expected to see the assignment allow for more sheets of paper as we progressed, so I found this incredibly limiting, and served as a distraction from the points I was meant to explore.

By Ankush S

Sep 17, 2018

The entire course was a fun filled learning time spent making something on your own from scratch.

Some might find the reviews by other peers harsh on your grades, but trust me, without some useful comments and critics, you are not going to make a fun and successful game anyway.

By Leo S

Oct 01, 2018

Surprisingly fun, and once the idea training got rolling on the game and theme is became pretty engaging.

By Olga N B I

Oct 03, 2018

that was a good experience of learning because the topics are explaining in a simple way, thank you for all. this course has been so funny :)

By Kenny S F

Oct 21, 2018

Recommended for beginner in game design

By Felix L

Oct 13, 2015

Really like this course

By Chloe C

Feb 15, 2016

I loved how this course built on the same assignment every week, so I ended up with a really fleshed out game idea by the end of the four weeks. Also, the peer feedback was useful and pushed me to be clear about my game rules, which was definitely a task.

By M L W

Oct 17, 2016

Best of the bunch so far. I wish the others went deeper into the concepts explored here. You immediately apply what you learn to your own ideas and produce something/a game.

By sean o

Jun 25, 2017

Excellent course. I learned a lot about the fundamentals of game design. The assignments were fun and helpful. The material was presented in an engaging way.

By Mathew J

Jan 23, 2016

I really liked this course.The lecture was really interesting and its the first time i felt like the

assignments was fun.