Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

326 - 350 of 419 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Jordan L

Jan 24, 2016

This course is an excellent introduction into the world of game design. Fran Krause's teaching style is both engaging and fun. While the lectures are really short, and there's not really a whole lot of material, I found that I learned well through the doing the projects.

My only criticisms are that this course is a little too easy and a little too short. A good game increases it's difficulty as the levels progress. If you don't increase the difficulty, you take away from the reward. The same can be said about a good course.

By Devin C

Dec 14, 2015

Instructor was fun, but a little stiff. It's his first time teaching, so I can forgive it though. The work was a little tedious. I wish there was more variety in the assignments than just updating the same game.

By Somesh N

Oct 30, 2015

I liked the fact that the course starts from and covers the very basics. The videos were fun to watch and the course taught a lot through the assignments. With very less time commitment , the course taught me to make my first board game.

By Kumsal O

Oct 25, 2015

This course was interesting. It's truly an introduction to the field. I've actually read about Game Design in my spare time and it was nice to remember some of the concepts I've seen. It's all positive and good but I'd have liked to see the assignments handled a bit differently. It just felt too much one way, especially with one page rule. I do understand this is done to keep people organized and not going crazy with their ideas because since it's peer reviewed it should be fair. Also, once your game idea from an earlier week didn't have much room to introduce the aspect presented in the current week you feel kind of stuck. Although assignments mention we should build on previous weeks' games there is also mention to building a new game too. That part could be clarified or the nature of the exercise can be much more varied than one page requirement.

By Daniel O S

Sep 28, 2015

M

By Francisco N

Dec 03, 2015

The course was fun and the progression through the weeks assignments was good. The contents were presented in a interesting way and were pertinent, but i would know a little more deeper.

By Jaime R

Dec 22, 2015

Good course with good concepts but could do with a lot more depth. This course's content would be one week of content for other courses

By Chao Z

Nov 24, 2015

The instructor is a good story teller, teaching important skills from smalls tips which are useful.

By Cessna

Mar 26, 2016

Clear and simple. Suitable for beginners.

But most of the contents are rather too intuitive.

By whipexx

Mar 07, 2016

Really good introduction to game design and to the rest of the courses.

It does not have five stars because the task could be felt as repetitive if you started with a more developed idea from week 1.

By Oguz G

Apr 18, 2016

This course provides a nice insight into the gaming theory. Do not expect to make a dive into video game analysis. This game focuses on the fundamental ideas behind gaming, which includes all games. However, the assignments revolve around building board games, so you do not need to worry about not knowing any coding to make video games. Assignment criteria could use some polish, as the rubrics focus too much on mechanics (is it one page long?) rather than content elements. The delivery of the content is interesting. The instructor has gone to great lengths to bring in features that will help you focus better. There could be a better 100% integration between the material in the videos and the assignments, as sometimes you are asked to use only a tiny portion of 30 minutes of videos for the week, and that can make the videos less useful, or the assignment not as educational.

By Grace J

Jul 11, 2017

Have to pay to do assignments :(

By Sanne C

Apr 05, 2016

The course material is funny and easy to follow, it breaks down important aspects of game design into easy chunks and assignments. As for reviews I feel like you get back what put in, if you make the effort for someone else you will get in return.

By Yumi O

May 30, 2016

Good. It could be better with more videos

Dec 15, 2015

Good course! Can use more concepts

By Michael C

Aug 25, 2016

This course is a very good intro course. The instructor Fran is both informative and funny. Fran really offers some great advice on how to think in terms of ways to develop and test your game in different ways. I thought it was certainly worth it and I think you would think the same too!

By 刘广祺

Jan 15, 2016

good enough for beginners,

and the puppet is funny.

By Vidyasagar

Oct 19, 2015

I'M LEARNING,ENJOYING THIS COURSE.LECTURE IS SO GOOD.ASSIGNMENTS ARE EAST AND CHALLENGING.

By Anne K

Nov 26, 2015

I really enjoyed this course! The videos were fun and informational, the assignments were enjoyable, and reviewing other student work was helpful. I also liked hearing from my fellow students and their ideas about my work and improvements I could make.

I would give the course five stars except for one thing - there was no one from the university to interact with. No one answered our questions on the forums, so questions went unanswered, ambiguities remained, and some issues grew as we progressed. Someone, even just a grad student or two, needs to be involved with the course in my opinion.

By Rubén C G

Nov 01, 2015

Course that do not require lots of time but put your creative mind on work and push it truly far making a simple game detailing before its workframe.

By Domenic G

Sep 30, 2015

A fun course with a good instructor. it introduces a simple process for brainstorming ideas.

By Jin, Y

Oct 20, 2015

There's only peer review in this course, which didn't provide the evaluation on your actually level on design skill. It's really just a 4 weeks intro, super easy to achieve the full marks.

By Ranjan K