Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

376 - 400 of 419 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Daniel O S

Oct 06, 2015

nice approach...

By Rubén C G

Nov 01, 2015

Course that do not require lots of time but put your creative mind on work and push it truly far making a simple game detailing before its workframe.

By Davide

Feb 09, 2016

Even if it is a really simple course, I found it interesting and fun, even the homework were really funny to do. Much better than the second one.

I just say that pricing is too high for a course that actually put 1/2 basic concept for each video.

By 刘广祺

Jan 15, 2016

good enough for beginners,

and the puppet is funny.

By Vidyasagar

Oct 19, 2015

I'M LEARNING,ENJOYING THIS COURSE.LECTURE IS SO GOOD.ASSIGNMENTS ARE EAST AND CHALLENGING.

By Michael C

Aug 25, 2016

This course is a very good intro course. The instructor Fran is both informative and funny. Fran really offers some great advice on how to think in terms of ways to develop and test your game in different ways. I thought it was certainly worth it and I think you would think the same too!

By Ash j

Aug 24, 2017

just a ilttle short

By Nilson G D

Feb 07, 2017

A nice course, with great content, but the Coursera plataform presented many flaws in key points, as the access to the feedbacks of peers...

By Daaz89

Sep 28, 2015

I like what I viewed so far. It is great to learn the fundamentals of game design without having to worry about learning a programming language.

By Jorge T

May 16, 2016

It's pretty fun and indeed teaches the basics of game creation, however I found a bit simple.

By Zineb B

Jun 03, 2017

Really valuable and informative course.

By Amin R

Sep 22, 2015

Simple and fun method of education. short length videos, kind instructor and fun assignments.

i have learned some basics in game world. i like this course and thanks to coursera,calARTS,Fran and his cool puppet friend :)

By Steve C

Jun 30, 2019

This was my first class on Coursera. I really enjoyed the lessons and practice activities. The peer review process for grades is understandable but leaves the class vulnerable to evaluations by people who may or may not take the class as seriously as you would like. For someone who has played games for a long time, it was not a difficult class but still worth while.

By Melissa C

May 23, 2019

I think this was a great course for a person like myself who wanted to start learning about Game Design but really had no experience. I enjoyed to class and love the flexibility with being able to take it all on

By Borja R N

Aug 13, 2019

Nice way to explain and cool exercises to do if you are interested on the course. The only thing that isn't that good is the peer calification system, not everyone takes the course seriously.

By sergi m

Jun 15, 2019

Good introductory course. Short , simple , and funny!

By Thalita d P

Nov 06, 2019

It was a bit too pricey for me but i had a pleasant experience and learned a lot.

By Trystyn J B

Nov 15, 2019

Fun and quirky, but felt a little bit too basic and easy. Hopefully the rest of the courses in this capstone will account for that.

By Daniel D

Dec 03, 2018

The videos are excellent and the teacher demonstrate vast knowledge in the area. But, I miss a more professional feedback on our submissions, sometimes it doesn't help at all, we're basically doing it by our own all the time, I believe the results could be even better with a better guidance.

By Daniel

Feb 24, 2016

Very little content. Most of the value comes from working on games for the assignments.

By Paul B

Oct 28, 2015

Fun course, not much depth.

By Meredith G

Apr 03, 2017

This is a great course due to the well designed and produced videos, peer feedback feature and structure of the course. However, I feel that the lack of input from CALARTS is the drawback. I have been in other courses in Coursera and have found the input from tutors really reassuring because I am getting expert feedback. If courses like this are to be continuously supported by Coursera clients/students, this kind of feedback is critical. If certificates achieved through Coursera are known to be only peer reviewed, such certificates will not carry weight and be recognised by other organisations/employers.

By Sergey F

Jul 19, 2017

very simple, only some basics and a lot of "water" material. I don't see reasons to pay for this

By Cristobal H

Jan 16, 2016

I know that the title says "introduction", but I felt it was to basic...I liked the approach of the homeworks, but I missed more reading material or more sources to explore...also, being an introduction to game design, I think many issues froom game design were not touched.

By Gianmarco D

Oct 11, 2017

The course is great and I had a lot of fun experimenting with the assignments and trying to come up with different ideas. There's a big problem though, and it revolves around the fact that the course is now followed by a small number of students and the teaching staff is absent, emerging from the shadows just to drop a few answers on the forum every now and then. The course need more love, as the assignments aren't always clear and some support could be of help to students. Anyway, the content is great and it is tuned well to the beginners level.