Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

176 - 200 of 571 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Mikel D B

Apr 5, 2016

So far this course has been great, the lecturer is awesome and the videos are short enough to make you stay focused.

By Rodrigo G d C

Dec 24, 2015

Great content, nice way to get a basic notion of what it takes to creat a game, nice classes and method of learning,

By Andi A

Aug 6, 2020

Very interesting basic learning materials. Easy to understand and I think the scope of the materials are on point.

By Sonja M

Jul 3, 2017

This course was a really good introduction to the world of Game design and I really enjoyed the video lessons too!

By Yee I

Aug 22, 2016

It is a great start to understanding some of the basics of Game Design. And Fran's videos are always fun to watch.

By Brook

Jan 9, 2016

Captivating, clear, simple and informative. The professor does a phenomenal job introducing what makes a game fun.

Oct 19, 2015

The course is helpful as a game designer in trainee, the community is friendly, and the assignments are fun to do.

By Shiloh K

Aug 8, 2020

This course provides a practical understanding of crafting a simple game, and is enjoyable to try out and learn.

By 王浩宇

Nov 27, 2016

To learn your most favorite major is the best thing in the world, tanks for teach me what I most need in my life

By Lucas Y

Sep 17, 2020

interesting and thought-provoking course for beginner, thanks to all the stuff who made this course, best luck!

By Alejandra " S

Jul 13, 2016

Amazing course! The teaches as well as the staff have managed to put together a fun and rich course. Well done!

By Sarah L

Nov 14, 2015

While it may seem basic to begin with, I found it a great course to lay the foundations for my own game design.

By 马海洋

Jan 18, 2016

Interesting!!!

This course used many simple examples to explain the idea that's more complicate, fun to learn.

By Bronson w L

Jul 26, 2020

I was nervous when coming into the course but the teacher was very nice and having a puppet was a great idea.

By Horváth B

Jun 29, 2020

It was cool with a nice teacher and good classmates. With this kind of videos it was fun to learn. I loved it

By Liv

Mar 5, 2019

You can tell a lot of love was put into this course. Tons of fun. Really informative and entertaining videos!

By Marcin G

Oct 4, 2017

Clean, funny, entertaining, very educative. What do we need more? :-) Thank you Fran Krause for this course!

By Carol A S

Nov 1, 2020

creative, interesting, fun. easy to understand and to apply to the assignment as well as anytime we create!

By 叶成荫

Feb 26, 2017

good tutorial helps me understand some basic game design rules. The feedback system is pretty good as well.

By Leo S

Sep 30, 2018

Surprisingly fun, and once the idea training got rolling on the game and theme is became pretty engaging.

By Anamaria A C

Jul 28, 2020

Great Course. I loved all the aspects of it. This is my first Coursera course and I totally recommend it

By weigang z

Feb 1, 2017

Excellent course to establish basic concepts of game design. Assignments are very practical and helpful.

By Swapnil P

Oct 21, 2020

Amazing course. The instructor was very good at explaining. Never felt bored for even a single second.

By Mohammad M

Nov 12, 2017

A must have course if you want to make a game from scratch. Great information to make games really fun.

By Brian L

May 25, 2017

It is a good intro to what it takes to design an actual game. The course isn't challenging and is fun.