Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

201 - 225 of 419 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Aldrix M

Oct 18, 2015

Very interactive.

By Nuno F A C

Sep 03, 2017

Very good course, explaining the basics and going deep on some stuff. Understood everything and learned a lot. Thanks!

By Aaditya R

Dec 25, 2015

I love this Course!

By Alejandra " S

Jul 13, 2016

Amazing course! The teaches as well as the staff have managed to put together a fun and rich course. Well done!

By M L W

Oct 17, 2016

Best of the bunch so far. I wish the others went deeper into the concepts explored here. You immediately apply what you learn to your own ideas and produce something/a game.

By sean o

Jun 25, 2017

Excellent course. I learned a lot about the fundamentals of game design. The assignments were fun and helpful. The material was presented in an engaging way.

By Sarah P

Sep 27, 2015

I have been really enjoying this course! The professor is engaging in the videos and he explains things well. I also really like the assignments and the games are fun to make and review. I am learning a lot from this course!

By Alexandra

Oct 07, 2015

The course is amazing. No, wait, probably I would say THE TEACHER is AMAZING! I loved the way he explains the material, I love the music and graphical part, the jokes. I am very grateful for the CALARTS to share their knowledge with the rest of the world and can't wait to start the next course from the specialization!

By Mathew J

Jan 23, 2016

I really liked this course.The lecture was really interesting and its the first time i felt like the

assignments was fun.

By Alexandre T M

Jan 28, 2016

I'm enjoying the classes so much, all easy to get and actually fun.

The assignments are great too.

By 叶成荫

Feb 26, 2017

good tutorial helps me understand some basic game design rules. The feedback system is pretty good as well.

By Alessandro G

Oct 21, 2015

This course is fun, enlightening and stimulating; the lessons are clear and concise.

By 马海洋

Jan 18, 2016

Interesting!!!

This course used many simple examples to explain the idea that's more complicate, fun to learn.

By Yuexi T

Feb 23, 2016

Nice organisation of course contents. Every stage, you can see your own game getting better. The peer students are especially good!

By Alpatova J

Oct 13, 2015

Really like this course

By Chloe C

Feb 15, 2016

I loved how this course built on the same assignment every week, so I ended up with a really fleshed out game idea by the end of the four weeks. Also, the peer feedback was useful and pushed me to be clear about my game rules, which was definitely a task.

By Bibiana D C

Sep 20, 2015

Fun and informative.

By Niam I

Mar 06, 2016

I really enjoyed this course as an introduction to game design. Highly recommend it for those looking to explore the discipline.

By Enlik

Dec 23, 2015

My review is when i'm already in week 3 of this course. Really worthed to participate in this course, especially when you've finished your assignment and your classmate review your works! :)

By Liliya G

Mar 28, 2016

Great course, excited :)

By Alan E A

Sep 04, 2017

Great material. I'll be enrolling in the next MOOCs soon. Thanks a lot!

By Dimitar K

Oct 27, 2015

Easy to understand and very fluent introduction into the world of game design. I liked it a lot!

By Cesar P

Jul 26, 2017

Love the teacher and the content. I Really enjoy the course from the beginning to the end