Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

151 - 175 of 657 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Muhammad U

Oct 17, 2015

Really Awesome course to take a Start in Game Designing. Very easy English and Visual effect with Character in teaching really increase understanding.

By Stephen J R

Jun 11, 2016

A very good intro into the process behind creating higher quality game rules and storylines. Also a lot of fun to watch. Definitely a good course for

By Shiran I

Feb 7, 2016

I must admit that the thing that appealed to me foremost was the joy and humor that were used during the lessons. This made each lesson fun to watch.

By MIHIR T

Jul 28, 2020

It was amazing to learn game design from beginning. I never thought it will be so great. Thank you instructors for explaining in such a simple way.

By Zoltán K

Aug 20, 2020

I really enjoyed the course, loved the homeworks! Never have I loved doing homeworks in my life, but working on your own little game is super fun!

By Yoás S R G

Oct 21, 2015

The videos are short, concrete, simple, with clear examples and even funny. As a whole i think the class offers lots of things to learn and think.

By jhonatan g r t

Aug 21, 2016

las reglas y elaborar un juego de mesa, nunca imagine que esa era la manera de sacar la esencia de un juego antes de ir a la tecnología, gracias.

By Demetrio C

Jan 10, 2021

I can't really express how well this course is, it gave me theoretical and practical knowledge, I feel able to understand games and create them.

By 高飞

Mar 20, 2018

It is a very good introductory course for novice game makers. Easy to understand, and detailed introduction.

对于新手游戏制作者来说,是十分好的入门课程。简单易懂,且介绍详细。

By Dimitar V

Jan 21, 2016

This course made me see the basics of Game Design and what i need to know while designing my game for a single player or multiplayer. Good Job!

By Mohammad S

Sep 21, 2015

So far this course looks very exciting and the professor seems really knowledgeable and is making the videos very interesting and fun! love it.

By Jessica C

Oct 19, 2016

This is a fun and well done introductory course. The peer reviewed assignments are a great feature -very insightful comments and suggestions!

By Nuria M

Oct 27, 2015

Excelent introductory course, it explains the basic concepts and keys to create and develop games before writing a single line of programming.

By Nadia A

Mar 1, 2021

This course offered a great way to lightly touch on all the basics by guiding us through building a board game as a more hands-on experience.

By TC

Oct 20, 2020

The content of the course is arranged quite smoothly, and the teacher's lecture videos and peer learning are very interesting and meaningful.

By Olga N B I

Oct 2, 2018

that was a good experience of learning because the topics are explaining in a simple way, thank you for all. this course has been so funny :)

By Ri C

Jun 20, 2016

I enjoyed the course and assignments greatly. It really tested by creativity to design a game and laid out the basic elements of game design!

By Sara F

Apr 21, 2021

Best professor ever! He was so creative and made the lessons so much fun and creative for me.

Thank you so much, I'll never ever forget you

By Savanna B

Apr 18, 2018

Fran is fun and helps put your mind at ease when having to do homework. I felt like it was okay to make mistakes and that i could have fun

By André H K

Nov 30, 2016

Great course! Useful information, great introduction. The videos are fun and really help with the process of creating a game step by step.

By Hridya N

May 16, 2020

The course was very interactive and helped in powering my creative juices. The videos were fun and didn't feel like an uptight class.

By Yuexi T

Feb 22, 2016

Nice organisation of course contents. Every stage, you can see your own game getting better. The peer students are especially good!

By Alvaro M

May 24, 2016

Awesome. Though it may lack of MANY game design modern principles it gets you right on track to create coherent and playable games.

By Phyo K L

Dec 6, 2020

About Game design concepts with example of experiment/testing in

game-development idea/sets and improvement of development process.

Aug 8, 2019

Very well structured course really helps and motivates students to think and put there knowledge to work by designing simple game.