Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN

Apr 13, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG

Feb 13, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

401 - 425 of 505 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Agnieszka J

Dec 06, 2016

I'd give it a 5 if I was only rating the material- it was very informative and easily digestible. Just what you need for a starting course.

The assignment and scoring part of the course is what brings the rating down a notch. Relying solely on feedback from people who are probably beginners in the field and who go by one sentence instruction on what to feedback on was not always constructive. More guidance needs to be added to what to look out for when scoring somebody's work.

By Sharifah N A

Apr 07, 2016

The module is overall great and gave me an intro on how game documents are developed, plus it made me start thinking like a game designer (I hope!)

My only complaint is that the homework is fairly restrictive (only one-page game per week, which means there's only so much you can do) but I do appreciate the fact that it simplifies things and if anything, it pushes you to be even more creative, beyond the typical "board game".

By Quinn W

Jun 13, 2017

Great course. Thank you so much. I especially loved the inclusion of the puppet and your comforting speaking style. To be honest, none of my other courses are nearly as fun. What I'd love to see is a sprinkling of conceptual theory in order to increase the value of the takeaway. But, overall, bravo(! seriously, bravo!), and I hope to take another one of your courses in the future.

By Steve C

Jun 30, 2019

This was my first class on Coursera. I really enjoyed the lessons and practice activities. The peer review process for grades is understandable but leaves the class vulnerable to evaluations by people who may or may not take the class as seriously as you would like. For someone who has played games for a long time, it was not a difficult class but still worth while.

By Benjamin B H

Jan 05, 2016

Very good course, though it is an introduction, I feel as though I already knew most of the subjects that were explained, however I did not know the impact that those could have on a game's value and how it helps the player engage in the game. The course was simple to follow and helped me know what to focus on when starting a game.

By Joanna W

Jul 06, 2020

A good introduction to the basics of game design including mechanics, balance and character creation. It is VERY brief, so don't expect to cover too much ground. The course covers paper-based (board game) design, so it does NOT teach how to make video games, but it does impart the necessary foundation to do so in future.

By Magali R

Feb 14, 2017

Very good introduction. In a light and friendly manner, we're given basics of game, I particularly remember balance, that I now keep in mind and look for in many aspects. I appreciated that no computer knowledge is needed, it's really about thinking what makes a good game. Comments from the peer reviews are helpful.

By Angela H

Oct 16, 2017

The course was great! I really enjoyed the instructor and his puppet. Grading suffered a bit from the peer review system, so maybe not make 100% of the course grade depend on peer feedback. Overall, you get what you put into the course. I put a lot of work into designing my games, and learned a lot in the process.

By Shrubin S

Oct 12, 2015

Starting third week now, and I'm sold on learning by doing.

The classes are great, very easy to maintain focus because of how much variety Fran Krause brings to his lectures.

The best part, in my opinion, is going through the games of other people out there because of so many diverse ideas they bring to the table.

By Ansh W

Jan 04, 2018

Frank is a little too plain while explaining things which makes it a little difficult to understand. A bit more expression and gestures while speaking would have made it easier. Otherwise, it is a very good course carrying amazing content and learning potential. Thanks a lot for this CalArts and Coursera!

By Michael C

Aug 25, 2016

This course is a very good intro course. The instructor Fran is both informative and funny. Fran really offers some great advice on how to think in terms of ways to develop and test your game in different ways. I thought it was certainly worth it and I think you would think the same too!

By Mark B

Nov 28, 2017

Course is largely informative. However, the weekly assignments are peer graded. One other student plagiarized my work and tried to pass it as his own. I reported it, but Coursea has not responded. Not sure if they care. It seems like you can get away with anything.

By Sanne C

Apr 05, 2016

The course material is funny and easy to follow, it breaks down important aspects of game design into easy chunks and assignments. As for reviews I feel like you get back what put in, if you make the effort for someone else you will get in return.

By Davide

Feb 09, 2016

Even if it is a really simple course, I found it interesting and fun, even the homework were really funny to do. Much better than the second one.

I just say that pricing is too high for a course that actually put 1/2 basic concept for each video.

By Rajeev R J

Aug 21, 2018

I think the classes were awesome and the assignments were very cool. However, the quality of feedbacks I received in the peer-reviewed assignments left much to be desired.

This is a good first course for someone who is stepping into game design.

By Stanisław P

Dec 22, 2015

Good course, I enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of hands-on work rather than just lectures, however, there could be more of the latter aswell. Quizes would be nice too.

The quality of the course is very high. Thank you for this course. :)

By Somesh N

Oct 30, 2015

I liked the fact that the course starts from and covers the very basics. The videos were fun to watch and the course taught a lot through the assignments. With very less time commitment , the course taught me to make my first board game.

By Viktoras B

Sep 20, 2015

The course was quite helpful. I've been trying to make games already, but never knew where to start designing the game. Unfortunately it's quite short which was disappointing. I would never pay 80$ for a couple hours of video with basics

By Amin R

Sep 22, 2015

Simple and fun method of education. short length videos, kind instructor and fun assignments.

i have learned some basics in game world. i like this course and thanks to coursera,calARTS,Fran and his cool puppet friend :)

By Melissa C

May 23, 2019

I think this was a great course for a person like myself who wanted to start learning about Game Design but really had no experience. I enjoyed to class and love the flexibility with being able to take it all on

By Devin C

Dec 14, 2015

Instructor was fun, but a little stiff. It's his first time teaching, so I can forgive it though. The work was a little tedious. I wish there was more variety in the assignments than just updating the same game.

By Sushobhit B

Dec 27, 2016

A very basic course to start off the game design career. Great if you want to start right from the ground stage and make your way up! Complex concepts broken down and put ever so simply! Try it out!

By whipexx

Mar 07, 2016

Really good introduction to game design and to the rest of the courses.

It does not have five stars because the task could be felt as repetitive if you started with a more developed idea from week 1.

By alexandre a d l

Jan 27, 2016

good course, really an introduction =)

But the teacher is always reading a "Teleprompter".

He is not spontaneous... Except when He uses RPG to demonstrate an example ;-)

But the content is great

By Borja R N

Aug 13, 2019

Nice way to explain and cool exercises to do if you are interested on the course. The only thing that isn't that good is the peer calification system, not everyone takes the course seriously.