Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

151 - 175 of 593 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Nuria M

Oct 27, 2015

Excelent introductory course, it explains the basic concepts and keys to create and develop games before writing a single line of programming.

By Nadia A

Mar 1, 2021

This course offered a great way to lightly touch on all the basics by guiding us through building a board game as a more hands-on experience.

By TC

Oct 20, 2020

The content of the course is arranged quite smoothly, and the teacher's lecture videos and peer learning are very interesting and meaningful.

By Olga N B I

Oct 2, 2018

that was a good experience of learning because the topics are explaining in a simple way, thank you for all. this course has been so funny :)

By Ri C

Jun 20, 2016

I enjoyed the course and assignments greatly. It really tested by creativity to design a game and laid out the basic elements of game design!

By Savanna B

Apr 18, 2018

Fran is fun and helps put your mind at ease when having to do homework. I felt like it was okay to make mistakes and that i could have fun

By André H K

Nov 30, 2016

Great course! Useful information, great introduction. The videos are fun and really help with the process of creating a game step by step.

By Hridya S N

May 16, 2020

The course was very interactive and helped in powering my creative juices. The videos were fun and didn't feel like an uptight class.

By Yuexi T

Feb 22, 2016

Nice organisation of course contents. Every stage, you can see your own game getting better. The peer students are especially good!

By Alvaro M

May 24, 2016

Awesome. Though it may lack of MANY game design modern principles it gets you right on track to create coherent and playable games.

By phyokokolwin

Dec 6, 2020

About Game design concepts with example of experiment/testing in

game-development idea/sets and improvement of development process.

By Aditya K

Aug 8, 2019

Very well structured course really helps and motivates students to think and put there knowledge to work by designing simple game.

By 梁爽

Oct 15, 2017

Very simple and very useful theory. I have been able to start my own design game. This is a very big progress fpr me, thank you!

By Niam I

Mar 6, 2016

I really enjoyed this course as an introduction to game design. Highly recommend it for those looking to explore the discipline.

By Justin R M

Sep 19, 2020

The instructor is brilliant and made the course very funny ;D by adding a puppet. Learnt a lot. Looking forward to next courses

By Andrew T

Dec 6, 2015

This game really makes you work and think about different design concepts by making you actually design some games! it's great.

By Dimitri B

Apr 19, 2016

To my mind, this course is the perfect way to begin to understand Game Design. The learning-by-doing method is very efficient!

By Tomer K

Oct 1, 2016

This course made me believe that I can really make interesting playable games.

The instructor was very funny and to the point.

By Douglas W

Sep 28, 2020

A wonderful, basic introduction to Game Design that should set the stage for the rest of the courses in the specialization!

By Renato C

Jun 18, 2020

Great course, even though it is an introductory course, it teaches in a simple way important concepts for game development.

By Ana G V F

May 6, 2020

A great course that lets you get the basics of game design and development! I really learned a lot and I really enjoyed it!

By Mathew J

Jan 23, 2016

I really liked this course.The lecture was really interesting and its the first time i felt like the

assignments was fun.

By Maria C

Nov 3, 2015

I love the way Fran managed to fulfill his lections with a theory. It was very simple and very informative at the same time

Sep 16, 2015

Fran is a great teacher and he blends fun teaching and jokes with genuinely interesting and helpful game design techniques.

By Alara E

Aug 31, 2020

I loved the instructor and the requirements of each week's submissions. I really enjoyed being part of the course. Thanks!