Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

226 - 250 of 593 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Gerardo A S F

Aug 17, 2020

It's perfect for knowing the bases of how a game works and how the elements make it what it is.

By Izzy H

Apr 25, 2020

Super fun to do, and really got me thinking creatively. I had so much fun creating my own game!

By Rehanna L

May 2, 2016

This course was fun and informative, with many lessons demonstrating the concepts being relied.

By Amanda W

Mar 22, 2016

Great introduction to game design. I love that it was very practical, and invited you to create

By Shireen A A

Jan 8, 2016

Great course.. Helps awaken the creativity in you. The lectures are clear and fun to listen to.

By Andrey K

Oct 22, 2015

Really loved this course as it goes through basics of game design in an engaging and funny way.

By Diego G I

Aug 24, 2020

A very good introductionary course, with good explanations, great activities and nice pacing.

By zhangmeng

Oct 3, 2016

I like this class very much, the teacher is very interesting, the video is also very lively,

By Tasneem Q

Mar 24, 2020

Fun and depends on practical side, got some awesome peer reviews the pushed my game forward

By W B

Jan 31, 2019

Great course by Mr. Fran and the team at CALARTS. Looking forward to complete this program!

By Fenja H

Feb 15, 2016

The videos are entertaining to watch and to develop a paper-based game as assignment isfun.

By Luis P

Oct 13, 2015

So far, a great course to start on game design. Lessons are fun and full of thing to learn!

By Katherine M

Jun 9, 2020

The projects were really fun and the instructor made everything simple and understandable.

By Troy N

Oct 11, 2018

Deceptively simple at first but becomes much more involved. Excellent through simplicity.

By Lvdi W

Dec 27, 2015

Short and easy-to-take, the courses teaches some of the essential elements of game design.

By supriya s

Mar 30, 2020

The course is excellent for anyone who wants to start building career in gaming industry!

By 罗杰

Apr 19, 2018

Simple course, but useful to me. I learn how to start game design by a correct direction.

By Cesar P

Jul 26, 2017

Love the teacher and the content. I Really enjoy the course from the beginning to the end

By Joshua A

Jan 20, 2021

I like this course it has helped me in some ways. Now I know the basics of game design.

By Timothy O

Sep 16, 2017

I loved this class - though as my first exposure to critiquing it was a bit of a shock.

By Ahmad I

Jan 24, 2017

Awesome Course to kick off the Game Design world. Highly recommend for the game lovers.

By Alex M

Nov 3, 2016

Good teacher. You get a the best out of the course by taking the assignments seriously.

By Zheng L

Jun 22, 2018

a good course to motivate you to design game without need to know programming and arts

By Francisco J B V

Apr 2, 2020

Excellent course, everyone that want to create a videogame needs to take this course.

By Barnabás N

Feb 29, 2016

Basic introduction, if you don't know anything about game design this is your chance!