Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

251 - 275 of 593 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Irina C

Oct 1, 2015

A great course for beginners. The teacher makes it easy to follow and fun. I love it!

By Catarina S C

Sep 24, 2020

I loved it! It is very simple and basic, the ideal for someone who is just starting.

By Pieter S

Apr 4, 2017

Engaging and interesting! This is by far the best online course that I've ever done!

By Alessandro G

Oct 21, 2015

This course is fun, enlightening and stimulating; the lessons are clear and concise.

By Karik J

Sep 25, 2015

OMG! Such a great oportunity to me, i'm a web programming studant, maybe some day!!

By Sergio A S M

Oct 1, 2020

It was a great time. I learned many things about one of my favorite topics: games.

By Ahmad M

Feb 8, 2021

It was an excellent start for someone like me who had no experience in the field.

By Deniz S

Jun 8, 2020

Best course to build a comprehensive foundation for you game development journey!

By João P R d O

Apr 7, 2020

Awesome classes, great teaching method, just a really really good course overall

By Angel C

Sep 2, 2020

Precise and direct, a very nice introduction to Game Design, good fundamentals.

By Lucas G d S

Jun 14, 2016

Really amazing this fist step on this road! On the end I have my own boardgame.

By Tiana D

Sep 17, 2018

Great course, learnt a lot, especially from the assignments and peer feedback.

By Hank

Oct 23, 2015

Excellent! The teacher is just so lovely.I love this guy and enjoy this couse!

By David M

Sep 2, 2019

Very enjoyable course with a dynamic teaching method that kept me interested.

By Sebastian R

Mar 7, 2018

I liked the course. It confirmed my knowledge and gave some nice perspective.

By Lana S

Dec 11, 2015

just started it and it's great! they make it so simple and appealing love it!

By Daniil S

Oct 12, 2016

This course provides the most interesting tasks of the whole specialization.

By Jeries H

Nov 11, 2015

Very fun course to take, the teacher makes good dynamics to keep me focused.

By Damanpreet S L

Jul 2, 2016

It was extremely helpful in giving the basic idea of creating a video game

By Ashwin V M

Jul 14, 2020

It was great fun to be here, awesome teacher. Thanks, Coursera and CalArts

By İrem S

Apr 2, 2020

it was really fun and great way of teaching loved the teacher to the max !

By Chris Y

Jul 13, 2017

Very strong foundation as an introductory course to any Game Design Class.

By Zoltán F

Dec 18, 2015

Interesting and playful journey through the first steps of game making. :)

By Махаури Х М

Mar 27, 2019

I liked this course a lot. Thank you for letting me study the GameDesign!

By Zacks

Nov 24, 2015

Interesting course. I've learnt a lot and met a lot of interesting games.