Back to Introduction to Game Development

KG
Sep 29, 2019

Great course, got to learn and understand good things about developing games in general and particularly in Unity. I highly suggest it for someone who has no experience whatsoever at game development.

AH
Nov 15, 2015

I enjoyed the course. Very fun playing with the Unity editor, and the assignments give you some freedom in how you tackle assignments. The class was fairly easy and doesn't need much time commitment.

1 - 25 of 1,302 Reviews for Introduction to Game Development

By Sergio G

Apr 12, 2020

Totally outdated (using versión 5.3 from 2015-2016).

2nd project uses standard assets that don't even compile in Unity 2019.

Forum is dead, questions await months without an answer.

By Stefan M

May 6, 2020

This course should really be titled Intro to Unity. It's basically 4 weeks of Unity projects. Don't expect much game design or industry insight in this course. But that's okay. The professor is a bit dull and disengaged, but that's also okay. It's a great launch into Unity and how to get started -- or would have been. The management of this course sucks. I've taken a few online classes where, when dealing with outdated technology/software, they will provide an update videos to help the student navigate changes in software since the original course was released. Myself and many others in the class forums have spent hours trying to resolve issues related to older/newer versions of Unity that this class never addresses. A simple 5 minute video would suffice. Take some ownership of your material, MSU! My advice to you in taking this class: go to the Unity download archives and find the exact version he uses in the class and follow his exact download procedure, including additional files. This would have saved me 5-6 hours of troubleshooting headache.

By Stephon G

Feb 6, 2016

Very great course. The instruction is spot on, allowing me to listen while I work without the need to actually watch the video. Definitely worth it for novices and even intermediate level developers.

By Paul S

May 4, 2017

I learned a lot of new things throughout this course. At first, my skeptical approach was: "well that I've seen on YouTube", but after 1st week I started realizing it gives you more - the understanding of how games made, what it takes and what you're capable of when left with limited knowledge and some ready-to-use tools. This month wasn't that easy for me and what I know for sure - if not for college-like system and approach - I would've put studies away to solve life problems, which would probably result in putting it away for longer.

By Donovan H

Jun 5, 2019

Great introduction to game development in Unity. This course makes it easy to get your feet wet and learn some of Unity's interface before expecting you to try to dig deeper into topics that are more in depth. I'm glad I took this course and am currently taking the other courses in this specialization. I expect to complete this. It's worth the money if you need direction.

By Mohamamd O

Sep 16, 2019

it was Excellent Course to enter Game Development world

instructor Brian Winn lectures very helpful and informative

also the projects were really helpful and well constructed to give the student a whole overview on how games are made.

I really enjoyed taking this course and excited to complete next specialization courses.

By Alan C

Jul 26, 2016

Recommended even if you have some experience with Unity. I have a Computer Science degree and worked as a professional game developer on released iOS and Android Unity games, and even though the material was a breeze, I still learned from it. Fits the description as a good introduction. The code week kind of throws beginners into the deep end a bit (lots of material just sort of thrown at you, but they warn you about the ramp up requirements). Good idea to invest time in some beginning programming resources before you dive into the week 4 material. What are you waiting for? Enroll!

By Jardel F d C

Jul 23, 2019

Very constructive course, I learned some game dev concepts that I never saw. The homework projects are very complete into the proposed subject for the week, are treated all methodical and consistent. So far, this course is the best that I have invested my time. Certainly I'm going to subscribe in the second course of this program.

By Kendry G

Sep 29, 2019

By Megan G L

Jul 22, 2019

Really great course! It was more challenging towards the end of it, but I enjoyed it and recommend it. I hope that my completing the course marked the start of my future as a game designer and maker.

By Andrew H

Nov 16, 2015

By Ahmed S

Aug 17, 2019

great course that gives you enough solid knowledge to help u build a

career in game development

By Sofi N

Sep 12, 2019

This is a really amazing course. I learned a lot. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

By Залужный А Д

Aug 13, 2019

It's really Introduction to Game Development. Love it!

By Asad U K

Aug 15, 2019

best game development course for beginners

By Pranavi K

Jul 1, 2019

Was an amazing learning experience!

By Vladimir L

Sep 15, 2019

Very well structured course!

By Elise v d L

Good course. But the Unity software is a bit outdated in the course.

By Rei G

Oct 31, 2020

If I could give it less stars, I would. Course is outdated compared to the current Unity software so the course materials are inaccurate and hard-to-follow. This course gave me more headaches than learning experiences, which I found unfortunate since I was really looking forward to completing this e-class, I appreciate the chance to start this free course, but it would be better if the course was audited before being listed as a Game Development course when it's clearly in need of updating and gaming relies on accuracy and the newest versions of the software / industry standards.

By Alex J

Oct 3, 2020

Great course overall. As an experienced software developer, I was a little disappointed by the lack of coding in this course, even on the last project. There were code walkthroughs, which were helpful, but none of the projects required any code to work properly. I did write a small amount of code on the last project (to get new target trajectories) but that was optional. In the end, learning the Unity editor was a big goal for me with this course, and it did that perfectly.

Some nitpicks:

1) Peer reviews are a great idea, but at the same time I feel like I'm at the mercy of random people when it comes to my grade. I don't really know how the grading system works or if there is a way to challenge a decision, since I never got anything less than 100%. Peer reviews also introduce a weird timing element to the course, since your grade on the project is from peer reviews, you need to wait for your project to get reviewed, and you also need to wait for other students to finish their project so you have something to review. Overall, this was only minor; despite finishing the course materials in under a week, I think I only had to wait like 2 days to get enough peer reviews in for the final project.

2) This is sort of related, but a consequence of the above issue with peer reviews is that the forums are FLOODED with review requests. Everyone wants their project reviewed, and they don't want to wait, so they post about it in the forum. This wouldn't be if a problem if there were different forum rooms, but there's just one so there's no room for other discussion. I've noticed this already with the second course in this program too. I think having a separate room for reviews and/or having some forum moderation to keep the forums from getting bogged down with these posts would be great. There's a lot of potential for great discussion on this platform, but it's basically impossible with this issue.

Despite having a lot to say about these issues, I think their effect is minor frustration at best. I do think there's a lot to gain from fixing them though, and I'd like to hope that improving this platform even more is a worthy reason to fix them.

By Rui M R H

Nov 15, 2017

This course is an excellent entry point for whoever is thinking about designing video games in a more serious manner. It's focused on hands-on practice, but it also complements it with some theory, which helps you understand the global picture of video games industry.

This course is not simply about Unity, but it's a good way of starting to practice with it. I know there are tutorials from Unity at their website, but this course does a little more than that, in the sense that you get the whole picture about video games. Plus, to those who fear programming, it gets you acquainted to code as seamlessly as possible. You won't even have to use it on the first two projects. The third project will get you to use it, and by then you will be comfortable enough with Unity layout, which will make you feel that programming is not as daunting as you thought. After that, you can always get back to Unity tutorials, and it feels easier to watch and learn from them.

Some of the content, especially the one that has to do with Unity, is slightly outdated, but this will not keep you from succeeding.

By Dmitry B

Dec 26, 2018

Hello everybody who is reading my review of this great course! If you're interested in making video games and you've never worked with tools like Unity (just like me) I highly recommend to finish this course. And this is because of the following reasons: 1. Brian Winn is a great teacher who explains everything. I don't have any questions about what we've learnt, just want to know more :p 2. Three projects which you'll make in this course. For me they were pretty simple because almost (around 70-80%) every step was just a "copypaste" from Brian Winn's actions but there is great sense in it because you just need to have more experience in working with Unity what this course gains to you; 3. You're free to do whatever you want in each of your projects. For example, you make first level in the project and then the second level is all yours. That's really cool! So that's all! I guess this review helped you. Good luck everyone!

By Shahbaz Z

Nov 28, 2016

The course is fast-paced with 8-16 hours of workload for me (mostly for the assignments). The videos are pretty clear, but because the concepts are pretty difficult I had to watch some of them many times. The learning is reinforced by weekly assignments. The solutions from peers became progressively better over the first half of the course, probably because of student attrition. This course does require some hard work to follow. It help not just learn UNITY 3D also it create concept for learner programmers about C Sharp. it help how to efficiently use all features and functionality in game. I'm very happy i got my first ever experience with Michigan State University and really big thanks to Brian Winn Sir, who provide nice lecture with energetic style. Thanks to Coursera to build affordable and financial aid for all nations. i recommend to all.

By Alexey F

The course provided very handy basic skills for Unity Editor and also the basic knowledges of the game development, how games are actually made and what technologies and skills they require. The course is organized very well and the professor goes through everything, explaining every step very clear. I recommend this course for everyone who is new in Unity and want to be a confidential user by the end of the course. The assets provided for the projects can be useful in your further creativity work.

However, I expected to have deeper explanation of C#. In the course you will only write a couple of code lines and quickly go through the prof's explanation of the codes in the game. As I understood on this course if you want to create a good game with your own rules, you need to know how to write scripts on C#, which requires the separate course.

By Tarang S

Oct 4, 2016

This course was amazing. I learnt a ton about about Unity and making games. I can give you a long review, but in short, it is challenging to understand, and there are slight loopholes which are hard to figure out sometimes. It was slightly disappointing that the course does not go into coding specifically, like the official tutorials do, but the official tutorials rush learning - these are much better. And when you see those official tutorials, you will see why you don't do much of your own coding - C# is not the easiest language.

So, what does that mean? It means that this course is very much worth it for beginners. It is relatively easy to understand, but expect to do a lot of work!