Back to Introduction to Game Development

KG

Sep 30, 2019

Great course, got to learn and understand good things about developing games in general and particularly in Unity. I highly suggest it for someone who has no experience whatsoever at game development.

ML

Jul 22, 2019

Really great course! It was more challenging towards the end of it, but I enjoyed it and recommend it. I hope that my completing the course marked the start of my future as a game designer and maker.

801 - 825 of 994 Reviews for Introduction to Game Development

Oct 04, 2015

Cool!

By Wei L

Aug 05, 2018

good

By ghourabi d

Mar 17, 2016

good

By Pratik M

Oct 26, 2015

Sep 07, 2015

T

By Michael M

Nov 09, 2018

Fantastic course, the only issue was not knowing what version of Unity the Professor was using at the beginning so I went down the line using the newest Unity version and after a crash erased my entire Week 3 project, I tried rebuilding but had compiling errors... then put it off as I did Week 4 but got to a point where I could not advance because my Unity version was too advanced to do what the Professor was doing so I read on the forums what version to get, and was then able complete Weeks 3 and 4 with Unity 5.5.6f1. Though it had some issues importing assets in both of the final two projects so there is probably a better version of Unity to use that what I guessed was the best. Anyways, besides some frustrating experiences with building the final two projects, I really think this was a great course. Just make sure to read in the forums and figure out what version of Unity to download and save your project often so you don't lose hours of work.

By Rahul S

Jul 12, 2016

This is a very introductory course meant for people having absolutely no background in 3D graphics or 3D game development. As a student with some experience in OpenGL and concepts like 3D transformation algorithms and whatnot, I believe that the course clearly delves into the making of the games rather than having deep insight into the algorithms required for that which is absolutely amazing and easy to understand for a starter. However if the course takers are expecting a deep insight into the 3D world and the mathematics behind that, you'll have to rely on other sources like books on Computer Graphics. However as an introductory course this clears the required concepts to a required extent.

By Maribeth D

Oct 14, 2015

This course is very good at explaining both how and why you would do things a certain way in Unity, something that is missing from most of the tutorials you can find out on the Internet. The professor explains concepts behind why you need to use certain components instead of just giving a list of things to match up to replicate the projects. I've rated it 4 out of 5 stars not based on the content, but because the response time, interaction, and feedback could be improved upon. The content is definitely 5 of 5. I took this during the first run of the course, so I'm sure that the course staff will improve on this in the future once they get a bit more used to running a MOOC on Coursera.

By Jalen V

May 15, 2017

This is exactly as it is titled: an "Introduction" to Game Development. I heavily emphasize "Introduction" because this course is designed to teach someone who knows nothing about Unity and Game Development and give them basic skills to continue learning. This course is well paced and does a good job of teaching students to understand why something is the way it is. I was slightly disappointing on the coding aspect of things, because you only really write a few simple lines of code, and then examine other things of code. However that was my expectation, others might not have seen it the way I saw it. Still, a course I would recommend to ANYONE interested in game development.

By Cynthia S

Dec 20, 2015

Excellent hands-on introduction to the Unity game engine, the development workflow and the many nuances of how these all work together for the artistic as well as the technical designers. I especially appreciate the instructor's careful attention to learner-centered demonstration, and for his respectful use of, as well as frequent nods to, Unity as a top notch engine for quality development. Packed with a great deal of information, and the demonstration of how to apply this knowledge, I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is wanting to break into interactive media development, or is wanting to broaden their methods and application knowledge in this area.

By Josua d V

Feb 17, 2016

The course was really enjoyable, I learned a great deal about game development and Unity 3D in general. I loved the practical approach and getting to know the ins and outs of Unity a lot better. The very last project was the only part I didn't learn as much from. Where going through the code wasn't really helpful - as it's so complicated to someone like me who is very new to C# and coding in general, but I understand it would take too much time to go in depth and that isn't really what the course is about.

Otherwise I had a fantastic experience and would definitely like to continue my learning with more courses similar to this! Thanks!

By Johan C

Jun 07, 2018

Unfortunately I've already learnt a lot of the content of the course, but for a beginner this is a very good introduction to working in Unity. I would just suggest that you update your Unity to the latest version for peer reviews and expect rather large uploads (100MB+ per peer review), as people don't follow the guidelines of deleting their temporary data as specified by the instructor. The only reason why this isn't a 5 star review is that the programming section could be expanded upon a bit, or at least feature optional readings to help establish a solid base of programming skills for beginners that are willing to learn.