Back to Introduction to Game Development

KG
Sep 29, 2019

Great course, got to learn and understand good things about developing games in general and particularly in Unity. I highly suggest it for someone who has no experience whatsoever at game development.

AH
Nov 15, 2015

I enjoyed the course. Very fun playing with the Unity editor, and the assignments give you some freedom in how you tackle assignments. The class was fairly easy and doesn't need much time commitment.

51 - 75 of 1,302 Reviews for Introduction to Game Development

By Om P

Jul 17, 2020

I absolutely loved going through this course! The main reason why I joined was to understand programming in Unity, which was obviously fulfilled. However, I also learnt a lot of new design aspects which I didn't even know about earlier. The instructor explained everything perfectly. I would absolutely recommend any beginner game developer to take up this course.

By Peter S

Jan 22, 2016

With the understanding that this course is focused on how to develop a 3d game in Unity, it is a great course. The material is presented in a way that helps understanding.

This is not an introduction to Game Development in general terms, it does not cover game design or other aspects of producing a game. There are other courses that cover these design aspects.

By Jacobo O A

Oct 29, 2020

I loved the course, I learned tons about unity and game development, I had to fix some of the code since it was donde in a older version of unity, however I took it witha grain of salt as an additional challenge, for fellow course members, it's not really that hard to fix, some google searches here and there will get you up and running to complete the course.

By Christina G D

Mar 10, 2016

Great Course! You learn a lot about Unity; for someone who has never used it before. I've tried to start with Unity from books and tutorials on my own, but I never got as far in the 4 weeks of this course. You make three basic games, which gives you all the basics of Unity. Very well worth taking this course, and the instruction/materials are superior.

By Kenny C

Apr 29, 2017

Nice introduction of Video Game Industry..it helps me open the door for my new career! I want to do more and more in Game Development! My goal is getting closer by finishing this course! Just like Serena from Pokemon XY, she found a new goal as Pokemon Performer! Thanks Serena and Ash Ketchum to encourage my career! Never give up until it is very end!

By Andrew T

Aug 22, 2017

This is a very solid course. Started a comparable course on Udacity and found this one to be much better designed and organized. Course is easy to follow and does a great job teaching how to use the tools available in Unity. In the end I didn't end up finishing because I found the development process tedious, but it was worth the $ to learn that.

By Kyra B

Oct 3, 2016

This course is simple enough to understand the complexity that is game development but that is not to say it doesn't pack a challenge. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for offering this amazing course up to the public. Which I wouldn't of had access to without wonderful and awesome people like those at Michigan State and Coursera. Thank you so much.

By Samuel C A

Jul 20, 2020

Very good introductory course to Unity.

It is beginner friendly and since every asset is viewable and editable the resources provided can satisfy the most curious self-learner.

I recommend basic programming knowledge, because it helps to understand what unity engine is doing under the hood, but it it by no means required.

Enjoyed and learned a lot.

By Marcin D N

Dec 18, 2019

Nice and thorough introduction to game development. Professional video presentations and easy to follow instructions for graded assignments. Working on graded assignments was fun and rewarding experience. I recommend this course to everybody who is interested in developing passion for video games and to create entertaining experiences for others.

By Michele G

Oct 31, 2016

Very well taught and complete introduction to Unity3d and Game Development. I'm a Unity developer since 2010 and i can say this course covers all the topics in a nice and clean, structured way. The projects required are quite easy to make, still require attention and some time if you want to make a step further.

Definitely suggested to everybody.

By Pan S T

Feb 24, 2019

Gets feet wet (relatively) to use Unity 3D in a gamedev environment, though quite a bit of handholding for some of the scripting sections. Other than that, perhaps some scripting challenges on creative game mechanics (eg. rock-paper-scissors or interesting game genres like over-the-top shooters and strategy games projects) can also be useful.

By Sabbir A

Nov 30, 2016

Such a nice course offered by the Coursera! Our course instructor professor Brain Winn design the whole course syllabus such a way that anyone from the beginner level can easily understood the basic things of Game Development.

I just love and enjoyed the whole course, and very much interested to finish the whole specialization courses.

By Eduardo M

Dec 30, 2015

Awesome, I really love how it started and went to the final with ease with many topics covered. Unity is a great tool, and the teacher has a great method of speaking. The projects assigned to these cover the basics for making great games, from design to script. Can't wait to continue the legacy of game making courses. Thanks Coursera!

By Eduardo F

Oct 8, 2016

Excellent course for learning the ins and outs of Unity. Though I would have liked to learn more of the scripting aspect of programming with Unity, the course was still quite satisfactory. Beginners are taught the basics clearly and quickly, and those with more experience don't have to wait long to get to material relevant to them.

By Flavio A Q D

Oct 12, 2015

It is a really good introduction to developing games using Unity3D.

This course is 100% hands-on and you won´t need to read hundreds of pages just to get started.

As stated, no prior programming experience is required since you won´t write code extensively. In fact it is reduced to just locating and inspecting the available scripts.

By Mohneesh S

Sep 26, 2017

like the course very much ... every thing is too good from the learning material to the lectures to the professor .

The instructor mr. Brian winn made every thing much easier to learn thanks to him and his teaching techniques, that i am able to learn about Unity and able to create something from nothing, thank you sir.

By Patrick R

Feb 1, 2016

I really liked this course. I started this course with no knowledge of Unity3D and ended with an intermediate knowledge of this rather complex game development platform. The instructor is very enthusiastic and explains everything in a clear manner. I recommend this course to anyone who wants to become a game designer.

By Skudaev E

Sep 19, 2019

That is an awesome course!) I finally have some basic game development and script writing skills and know how to make easy games. Everything is explained very good and is easy to understand for those who actually don't speak English as their mother language. I highly recommend this course, I'm sure you'll like it!

By HUZAIFA H K

Jul 30, 2020

This course was completely new for me, I learned everything about game development, scripting in C#, game designing, animations and what not. The instructor Brian was remarkable and the course material is very well designed for all levels. Looking forward to complete the specialization as well. Thanks a lot Sir!

By Emily B

Jul 17, 2019

This is a great introductory course. Brian Winn gives easy to follow lessons and takes the time to repeat easily forgettable, but important actions so it can become second nature for the student. I enjoyed this course immensely, and am taking serious considerations into making games for a living now. Thank you!

By Albert S

Jun 24, 2020

It was great insight in many aspects of developing game in neat project manager such as Unity3D. It's nice to see how unity grow up in years to become such an easy game engine with amazing tools to work with. All i was missing to understand how to use it was exactly what you shoved me in the course. Thank you.

By Kyle Y

Sep 6, 2016

This is a great introduction course for anyone that wants a taste of game development. One great strength of this course is that the instructor communicates his ideas and concepts clearly.

I enjoyed the fact that I was able to review other student's designs. It's a great way to find students that get creative.

By Deborah M M

Oct 13, 2015

Excellent Introduction. And Prof Winn is SO right. Creating games is hard fun. With this course, you learn much in a short time and come away with a more-than-passing familiarity with both basic game mechanics and Unity3D -- as well as a little C# coding. It IS hard (for a beginner) but it IS fun!! Thank you.

By Clementine F

Jan 31, 2019

Good course. A good intro to the use of Unity3D for video game development. A lot of the code is already given, everything is easy to install, so no coding experience is necessary prior. The teacher is very calm and teaches well.

I would personnally have liked a bit more coding, but that's only me I guess.

By Hugo S

Feb 9, 2017

This course is a great opportunity to understand the basic game development concepts. Is a good way to make an approach to Unity3D as Engine and its integration with programming tools. You can create 3 projects that give you a perspective about how exactly you can create a video game from the beginning.