Back to Introduction to Game Development

KG

Sep 30, 2019

Great course, got to learn and understand good things about developing games in general and particularly in Unity. I highly suggest it for someone who has no experience whatsoever at game development.

AH

Nov 16, 2015

I enjoyed the course. Very fun playing with the Unity editor, and the assignments give you some freedom in how you tackle assignments. The class was fairly easy and doesn't need much time commitment.

926 - 950 of 958 Reviews for Introduction to Game Development

By Sriram R

Oct 14, 2019

Great course, just that it is done with a much older version of Unity, but all the basics are covered. Felt more could have been done with the coding part for beginners but the course was well done within the time limit . Highly recommended for beginners

By Issabella I

Oct 19, 2019

great course! It would've been better to go deeper into programming, and instead of just providing students with a ready code and explain it for them, it would be better to make them write the codes. Writing the codes yourself makes you understand them better, fix errors, and just have the code imprinted in your mind.

By Nguyen D T

Feb 22, 2016

Thanks for your course!

By Prashant P

Mar 02, 2016

Good for beginners. I am not sure if anyone who has designed even a small game in Unity will be interested in this course. I was quite bored and had to go through all the videos just to complete the assignment which cannot be completed if you don't go through all the videos which I think is the drawback for this course. But again, its for beginners. As for me, I am looking forward to interesting and in-depth topics to learn about. The specialization will hold no value if it doesn't pose any challenge to its pursuers.

By Marco T T C

Mar 26, 2016

It's a good, but timid, introduction to game development with Unity. It addresses many relevant game development concepts, like programming, collision detection and 3D coordinates. It course may be better appreciated if taken as part of a specialization.

By Ash j

Aug 28, 2017

good for unity progarmmer

By Kevin K

Oct 05, 2017

Course needs to be updated and the audio isn't great.

By WILLIAM E

Aug 21, 2017

Its ok but udemy has better courses for gamedevelopment

By Chris D

Jun 07, 2018

Not bad, gets you started with the basics in Unity. However, i have done some beginner courses elsewhere and they have all started with an introduction to C# before moving on to using Unity. I find having a base knowledge of the language is a must if you want to succeed in the game industry, therefore i think this course could be better by teaching at least a rudimentary amount of C#. Otherwise the course is fine, it teaches you the basics of Unity which is expected from an introduction course.

By Calin T

Jan 07, 2018

It does teach the basics of Unity, but it does not touch very much at all on the crux of game development - programming. I wish I got more opportunities to practice C# with Unity, but the only time I did was a little bit on the last week. The rest of the courses in the specialization also don't focus much on that aspect

By Thiago G

Dec 17, 2015

The course introduces the student to the production of a game using Unity, but it lacks on programming focus.

By Miguel M V

Dec 23, 2015

I think this course is ok but it is not enough.

Jul 18, 2017

This class is a pretty good introduction to Unity, I just don't know that it is better than the free tutorials provided by Unity.

By Ahmed A S R

Feb 09, 2017

A good start for learning game design and development

By Sumesh P

May 10, 2017

For the person who has no programming background, may find the week 4 project difficult.

By Alvaro M

May 24, 2016

Very basic introduction. Though it covers all the needed information it lacks of interesting content.

By Frank

Jan 04, 2016

Didactically I was a little disappointed since, as so often, allegedly innovative e-learning is based on a conventional transmission pedagogy, with the instructur delivering frontal-teaching-style lectures and the learner imitating the instructions. As a comparative novice in the field, I'm not sure that I am now able to apply independently what I imitated for the assignments. Scripting went right over my head.

Rhetorically, many of the lectures were preformulated written texts rattled off, sometimes quite fast, in spite of the complexity of some of the information. Where the instructor formulated freely, the excessive Uuuhms and "go ahead's" nearly drove me bonkers.

On the whole, a useful course, though.

By David C

Feb 24, 2016

Great course, although I would've liked a bit more emphasis on coding.

By Γιώργος Μ

Oct 29, 2016

3 stars because the lecturer is really good but talks a little bit fast so foreign students cant clearly understand what he means or get "lost" in the course. You will say "you can reduce the speed" but this would reduce the sound quality too.

By Christopher J

Dec 28, 2015

While I enjoyed the projects and found the instructor easy to follow and understand, I was disappointed in how little coding we did. The code walkthroughs were rushed and I barely learned enough to scratch the surface of some of the scripts we used in the basic projects. Since scripting is such a huge part of game development, I feel like there should have been more focus on it. Maybe a new term in each video or something?

And I understand that the course was only four weeks, which doesn't allow much time for deep scripting analysis, but maybe the course should be longer than four weeks.

Overall a fun class and I now have two games to show off to people.

By Nicholas D

Sep 26, 2016

Provided Unity scripts for projects don't work properly with newer versions of Unity. Quality of video recording is kind of crappy esp. audio. Most of the stuff learned in this course you'd be able to learn straight from the Unity tutorials anyway. Not recommended unless you absolutely need scheduled assignments in order to learn.

By Moe M

Nov 01, 2015

This was much less about the development of games as it was an intro to Unity. Furthermore, the assignments weren't graded on a timely basis, which left very room to collaborate and refine. Overall, I felt like I learned to follow a few basic things about Unity, nothing more.

By Chloe O

Jun 22, 2018

Don't waste your money. The course was too easy, and you could easily learn the same amount of material through Unity's free online tutorials. The instructor provided a few explanations of general game design concepts, but nothing you can't find through a quick YouTube search. Disappointing.

By Thiago d B

Aug 12, 2017

Fortunately for me, I have a solid background in programming. Had I not, I would have had no idea what was going on towards the end of this course. I didn't like the false sense of security given by the instructor when he said, after the first follow-along "congratulations, you are now a game developer".

I think there needs to be a LOT more teaching of programming fundamentals and C#. This feels more like a 'trial' of a real course than anything else, and it's a bit frustrating that I am, for the first time, paying for a 'specialisation', resulting in a negative experience.

By Camille C

Jun 15, 2017

This is probably powerful content but I am way too distracted by the monotone, poor picture quality and the numerous amounts of "uh"s and "um"s in the presentation.