Back to Introduction to Game Development

KG
Sep 29, 2019

Great course, got to learn and understand good things about developing games in general and particularly in Unity. I highly suggest it for someone who has no experience whatsoever at game development.

AH
Nov 15, 2015

I enjoyed the course. Very fun playing with the Unity editor, and the assignments give you some freedom in how you tackle assignments. The class was fairly easy and doesn't need much time commitment.

1101 - 1125 of 1,350 Reviews for Introduction to Game Development

By Samad K

Nov 19, 2020

good

By Kaniksha.c

Sep 26, 2020

Good

By HARSHIT K J

Sep 21, 2020

good

By Suaida B

Jul 25, 2020

good

By Wei L

Aug 5, 2018

good

By Ghourabi D

Mar 16, 2016

good

By Pratik M

Oct 26, 2015

Sep 7, 2015

T

By Michael M

Nov 9, 2018

Fantastic course, the only issue was not knowing what version of Unity the Professor was using at the beginning so I went down the line using the newest Unity version and after a crash erased my entire Week 3 project, I tried rebuilding but had compiling errors... then put it off as I did Week 4 but got to a point where I could not advance because my Unity version was too advanced to do what the Professor was doing so I read on the forums what version to get, and was then able complete Weeks 3 and 4 with Unity 5.5.6f1. Though it had some issues importing assets in both of the final two projects so there is probably a better version of Unity to use that what I guessed was the best. Anyways, besides some frustrating experiences with building the final two projects, I really think this was a great course. Just make sure to read in the forums and figure out what version of Unity to download and save your project often so you don't lose hours of work.

By Gerard C

Nov 29, 2020

Great introduction to game development. Brian is straightforward and jumps right into practice, which is the best way to learn Unity. The assignments are very clear and allow for further development if one wishes to learn more.

As downsides I'd say it needs an update as it still revolves around Unity 5 and there's a few things that have changed over the years but it's not really that much of a problem. Also I'd say the last week of the course could be a little confusing for those who've never done any programming, it's not my case but I can see how someone who's never done it would be confused about it.

Last I'd like to add that the peer reviewing system is an interesting idea, it works well here, but I'm worried it will not work on the next courses as there isn't that much people doing them compared to this course, and getting a certificate depends on it.

Overall great introduction course, I recommend it.

By Rahul S

Jul 12, 2016

This is a very introductory course meant for people having absolutely no background in 3D graphics or 3D game development. As a student with some experience in OpenGL and concepts like 3D transformation algorithms and whatnot, I believe that the course clearly delves into the making of the games rather than having deep insight into the algorithms required for that which is absolutely amazing and easy to understand for a starter. However if the course takers are expecting a deep insight into the 3D world and the mathematics behind that, you'll have to rely on other sources like books on Computer Graphics. However as an introductory course this clears the required concepts to a required extent.

By Maribeth D

Oct 14, 2015

This course is very good at explaining both how and why you would do things a certain way in Unity, something that is missing from most of the tutorials you can find out on the Internet. The professor explains concepts behind why you need to use certain components instead of just giving a list of things to match up to replicate the projects. I've rated it 4 out of 5 stars not based on the content, but because the response time, interaction, and feedback could be improved upon. The content is definitely 5 of 5. I took this during the first run of the course, so I'm sure that the course staff will improve on this in the future once they get a bit more used to running a MOOC on Coursera.

By Jalen V

May 14, 2017

This is exactly as it is titled: an "Introduction" to Game Development. I heavily emphasize "Introduction" because this course is designed to teach someone who knows nothing about Unity and Game Development and give them basic skills to continue learning. This course is well paced and does a good job of teaching students to understand why something is the way it is. I was slightly disappointing on the coding aspect of things, because you only really write a few simple lines of code, and then examine other things of code. However that was my expectation, others might not have seen it the way I saw it. Still, a course I would recommend to ANYONE interested in game development.

By Cynthia S

Dec 20, 2015

Excellent hands-on introduction to the Unity game engine, the development workflow and the many nuances of how these all work together for the artistic as well as the technical designers. I especially appreciate the instructor's careful attention to learner-centered demonstration, and for his respectful use of, as well as frequent nods to, Unity as a top notch engine for quality development. Packed with a great deal of information, and the demonstration of how to apply this knowledge, I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is wanting to break into interactive media development, or is wanting to broaden their methods and application knowledge in this area.

By Серебро А В

The course is absolutely great. It's easy to understand and follow, not too overwhelming for the beginner and most importantly the way it's built makes you really enjoy the process of making your first games. I felt a boost of creativity when I was doing the tasks at the end of each week.

The only flaw that sometimes bugged me and the other students is that the course is a bit outdated. There were 3-4 scripts that didn't work as expected or didn't work at all in the new versions of unity, and the course didn't address it in any way. Good thing is the community is really helpful, but don't expect the answers from the creators of the course.

By Josua d V

Feb 17, 2016

The course was really enjoyable, I learned a great deal about game development and Unity 3D in general. I loved the practical approach and getting to know the ins and outs of Unity a lot better. The very last project was the only part I didn't learn as much from. Where going through the code wasn't really helpful - as it's so complicated to someone like me who is very new to C# and coding in general, but I understand it would take too much time to go in depth and that isn't really what the course is about.

Otherwise I had a fantastic experience and would definitely like to continue my learning with more courses similar to this! Thanks!

By Johan C

Jun 7, 2018

Unfortunately I've already learnt a lot of the content of the course, but for a beginner this is a very good introduction to working in Unity. I would just suggest that you update your Unity to the latest version for peer reviews and expect rather large uploads (100MB+ per peer review), as people don't follow the guidelines of deleting their temporary data as specified by the instructor. The only reason why this isn't a 5 star review is that the programming section could be expanded upon a bit, or at least feature optional readings to help establish a solid base of programming skills for beginners that are willing to learn.

By Maggie

Apr 6, 2016

I learned so much in this short course! I learned more than I ever thought I could about making video games, considering I'm a complete beginner. Great step by step videos for learning to make games in Unity, plus lectures about aspects of game development. It would not be very challenging if you are not a beginner, and there is almost no focus on writing your own scripts, so this wouldn't be the right course for someone wanting to learn to code their own games. I subtracted one star because there was no professor interaction (such as on the message boards), although the professor is very good in the videos.

By Christopher E

Sep 8, 2016

Great class packed full of info! The videos were fully explanatory in what they hoped to achieve, instructing in the basics of Unity 3D. An overall well balanced introductory course, my only problem was with a broken link to an assignment. I had to get the specific course materials from another student because the download link didn't work for me. I was hoping for a Moderator/Admin to get back to my complaint, but after a few days a fellow student that had the problem previously was the one to help me out. 4/5 Stars. Be kind to your classmates, you'll learn a lot from them as well!

By Ahmad H Z

Jul 23, 2018

A very good introduction to game development, the instructor can deliver information to you easily and without troubling you with complex terms or delving too deep at this early stage. The only thing I wish I had had more in this course is more insight on scripting; the course only skims the subject and barely train you to write scripts, and depends on giving you scripts to explore it either with the instructor or on your own. But overall I really enjoyed my time going through this course and I recommend it to anyone beginning his journey to game development

By Stella M

Mar 28, 2016

It's a simple and straight-forward course that brings you through the basics pretty fast. If you have the time, you could actually do the whole course in a day or two, just coming back for peer review. There are no surprises and the projects are simple. The instructor even lists what the objects of each lesson and video are, so if you need to look back at a specific feature, you need only look at the titles and then watch that one video. It's also interesting to see what people think of when creating a second level, if they try to go further.

By George D

Aug 6, 2020

The fundamentals are here, and I really enjoy the layout. For it's time, I'd probably give it a five star... But unless you can get unity 5 (specifically 5) working flawlessly, and match up with other peers who can do the same thing (Unlikely, I'm a tech, and it took me some effort), the peer reviews are a nightmare. Honestly if they removed the peer reviews, the course would be tremendously better. And maybe provided a place to download unity 5 specifically to futureproof. I doubt it'll be supported forever from unity themselves.