Back to Introduction to Game Development

KG

Sep 30, 2019

Great course, got to learn and understand good things about developing games in general and particularly in Unity. I highly suggest it for someone who has no experience whatsoever at game development.

AH

Nov 16, 2015

I enjoyed the course. Very fun playing with the Unity editor, and the assignments give you some freedom in how you tackle assignments. The class was fairly easy and doesn't need much time commitment.

26 - 50 of 1,007 Reviews for Introduction to Game Development

By Joselito M C S I

Aug 30, 2018

I've really learned a lot on this course, and this knowledge will surely be helpful for my encounters in the future! Before I got into this course, I absolutely have no idea about game design and development, and have never used Unity or Visual Studio (C#). But now, I have finished three of your projects! I've gained confidence in exposing myself into the world of game design and development, and I'm hoping to have a career in the gaming industry. Cheers to you, guys!

By Massimiliano h

Mar 24, 2017

Brian is a wonderful teacher he didn't take for granted all the aspect related to basic principles of game development in Unity. It's clear that he has built the lessons in order to teach you the method to approach the use of the tool rather then a detail explanation of specific features leaving the learners to deeply inspects this aspects on their own. The session are all well written and enrolled and Brian never leaves you alone during all the courses.

By Grant H

Jun 14, 2016

Brian Winn is an astoundingly good teacher, and has leveraged a huge amount of professional knowledge to pour his heart into what is arguably the best $400 I've ever spent in my life.

This teaching/learning format is inordinately effective, and I'm 100% looking forward to course 2, 3, 4, and the capstone.

Thank you for going above and beyond in creating a truly fantastic learning environment, syllabus, and a plethora of wonderful content.

By Grace K

Apr 24, 2016

I've always loved video games, but knew nothing about game dev. I decided to take this Specialization because the dev courses focus on Unity, a good choice for indie development. The example projects are fun and Brian Winn is an excellent, clear, and likable instructor.

I'm a software engineer by trade, so customizing scripts was fun and easy for me, but it would probably be challenging for someone who has never programmed before.

By Cosmin R

Oct 13, 2015

One of the best courses i have ever attended to.

Full of useful information. I can't remember a session that was dull, or out of context.

Nice pacing, application of the principles and technical know how in the projects.

After this course i have a very good understanding of the UNITY development environment.

It's a must if you consider a career in game design.

Useful for both technical and non-technical persons.

By Дмитрий Б

Feb 19, 2016

This course is absolutely awesome! During 4 weeks I realized that there's no such fun as making games in the world! Also with the help of modern tools (like Unity game engine) it is very easy even for the beginners. You only have to focus on your ideas and the engine will take care of all the physics, visualization and interaction. It's absolutely amazing!

Thank's to Brian Winn and all the comunity!

By Tony N

Jun 29, 2017

Want to study Unity3d game development? Do yourself a favour and take this course. You will regret if you don't.

I have try many online tutorials including official ones, but none of them help. The professor does an excellent job guiding me through most important aspects of creating 3d games using unity3d.

I am very confident that I can make 3D games after taking the course.

By Shai Y

Oct 25, 2015

Amazing course, this is the first time that so much essential information about learning is accessible in a such well organized matter.

It was exciting to learn about the process and the organic materials in the brain when effective and non-effective learing process is take place.

I believe that this course can really help me to managie further learning processes on a daily basis.

Thanks,

Shai

By Angela H

Oct 17, 2017

I really loved this course! I've used Unity before, but this class really helped solidify my knowledge and I picked up a few new tricks in the process. I really liked the video instructions and how the teacher presented the content. The peer review grading system was clear on what warranted a passing grade, so I felt that doing a good job was recognized. Thanks for an excellent course!

By Ugo N

Mar 24, 2017

Excellent! Brian is very simple and clear in his instruction. No messages missed or trouble understanding the program. Also, when you think your system doesn't have something, they provide you with the equivalent of what they is required. For example in the build case and getting Web Gl support. yeah! You'll see it.

Thanks, I had a lot of fun doing this course. Now on to the next!!

Ugo

By Павел

Oct 19, 2016

What do you feel when you've created something? Did you experience that exciting feeling playing your own 3D first person shooter? If you are keen on game development and looking for a starter course, this one is exactly what you need! The course content is well structured and easy to understand. So, if you decide to start this course you will be totally satisfied with the result!

By Luca R S

May 11, 2017

This course is AMAZING! Brian's videos are very concise and spot on, giving you all the informations you need; should you need more, there's plenty of references to where to look for in your browser, making it an accessible experience to everybody.

Before taking it, I already had many hours of practice and coding in Unity, and I still learned a lot! I really recommend this course.

By Konstantin N

Jan 24, 2018

Great course for beginners! I never used Unity3D but with this course I was able to create small decent game! It would be easier if you have previous programming experience in C#. I strongly suggest to complete Beginning Game Programming with C#University of Colorado System first. It would allow to better understand coding part and will accelerate your own Video Game creation.

By Roselle C

Dec 25, 2017

Learnt a lot from this despite I'm already in the game dev industry, especially from scripting. Despite he went a little too fast in it, it gave me a starting point and I have some understanding of how to approach. Learnt a lot in terms of computer science which I didn't really learn in other sources. The project assignments could be improved, but the course is great overall.

By Peter S

Jan 22, 2016

With the understanding that this course is focused on how to develop a 3d game in Unity, it is a great course. The material is presented in a way that helps understanding.

This is not an introduction to Game Development in general terms, it does not cover game design or other aspects of producing a game. There are other courses that cover these design aspects.

By Christina G D

Mar 10, 2016

Great Course! You learn a lot about Unity; for someone who has never used it before. I've tried to start with Unity from books and tutorials on my own, but I never got as far in the 4 weeks of this course. You make three basic games, which gives you all the basics of Unity. Very well worth taking this course, and the instruction/materials are superior.

By Kenny C

Apr 30, 2017

Nice introduction of Video Game Industry..it helps me open the door for my new career! I want to do more and more in Game Development! My goal is getting closer by finishing this course! Just like Serena from Pokemon XY, she found a new goal as Pokemon Performer! Thanks Serena and Ash Ketchum to encourage my career! Never give up until it is very end!

By Andrew T

Aug 22, 2017

This is a very solid course. Started a comparable course on Udacity and found this one to be much better designed and organized. Course is easy to follow and does a great job teaching how to use the tools available in Unity. In the end I didn't end up finishing because I found the development process tedious, but it was worth the $ to learn that.

By Kyra B

Oct 03, 2016

This course is simple enough to understand the complexity that is game development but that is not to say it doesn't pack a challenge. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for offering this amazing course up to the public. Which I wouldn't of had access to without wonderful and awesome people like those at Michigan State and Coursera. Thank you so much.

By Marcin D N

Dec 18, 2019

Nice and thorough introduction to game development. Professional video presentations and easy to follow instructions for graded assignments. Working on graded assignments was fun and rewarding experience. I recommend this course to everybody who is interested in developing passion for video games and to create entertaining experiences for others.

By Michele G

Oct 31, 2016

Very well taught and complete introduction to Unity3d and Game Development. I'm a Unity developer since 2010 and i can say this course covers all the topics in a nice and clean, structured way. The projects required are quite easy to make, still require attention and some time if you want to make a step further.

Definitely suggested to everybody.

By Pan S T

Feb 24, 2019

Gets feet wet (relatively) to use Unity 3D in a gamedev environment, though quite a bit of handholding for some of the scripting sections. Other than that, perhaps some scripting challenges on creative game mechanics (eg. rock-paper-scissors or interesting game genres like over-the-top shooters and strategy games projects) can also be useful.

By Sabbir A

Nov 30, 2016

Such a nice course offered by the Coursera! Our course instructor professor Brain Winn design the whole course syllabus such a way that anyone from the beginner level can easily understood the basic things of Game Development.

I just love and enjoyed the whole course, and very much interested to finish the whole specialization courses.

By Eduardo M M

Dec 30, 2015

Awesome, I really love how it started and went to the final with ease with many topics covered. Unity is a great tool, and the teacher has a great method of speaking. The projects assigned to these cover the basics for making great games, from design to script. Can't wait to continue the legacy of game making courses. Thanks Coursera!

By Eduardo F

Oct 09, 2016

Excellent course for learning the ins and outs of Unity. Though I would have liked to learn more of the scripting aspect of programming with Unity, the course was still quite satisfactory. Beginners are taught the basics clearly and quickly, and those with more experience don't have to wait long to get to material relevant to them.