Back to Introduction to Game Development

KG
Sep 29, 2019

Great course, got to learn and understand good things about developing games in general and particularly in Unity. I highly suggest it for someone who has no experience whatsoever at game development.

AH
Nov 15, 2015

I enjoyed the course. Very fun playing with the Unity editor, and the assignments give you some freedom in how you tackle assignments. The class was fairly easy and doesn't need much time commitment.

1076 - 1100 of 1,302 Reviews for Introduction to Game Development

By Johan C

Jun 7, 2018

Unfortunately I've already learnt a lot of the content of the course, but for a beginner this is a very good introduction to working in Unity. I would just suggest that you update your Unity to the latest version for peer reviews and expect rather large uploads (100MB+ per peer review), as people don't follow the guidelines of deleting their temporary data as specified by the instructor. The only reason why this isn't a 5 star review is that the programming section could be expanded upon a bit, or at least feature optional readings to help establish a solid base of programming skills for beginners that are willing to learn.

By Maggie

Apr 6, 2016

I learned so much in this short course! I learned more than I ever thought I could about making video games, considering I'm a complete beginner. Great step by step videos for learning to make games in Unity, plus lectures about aspects of game development. It would not be very challenging if you are not a beginner, and there is almost no focus on writing your own scripts, so this wouldn't be the right course for someone wanting to learn to code their own games. I subtracted one star because there was no professor interaction (such as on the message boards), although the professor is very good in the videos.

By Christopher E

Sep 8, 2016

Great class packed full of info! The videos were fully explanatory in what they hoped to achieve, instructing in the basics of Unity 3D. An overall well balanced introductory course, my only problem was with a broken link to an assignment. I had to get the specific course materials from another student because the download link didn't work for me. I was hoping for a Moderator/Admin to get back to my complaint, but after a few days a fellow student that had the problem previously was the one to help me out. 4/5 Stars. Be kind to your classmates, you'll learn a lot from them as well!

By Ahmad H Z

Jul 23, 2018

A very good introduction to game development, the instructor can deliver information to you easily and without troubling you with complex terms or delving too deep at this early stage. The only thing I wish I had had more in this course is more insight on scripting; the course only skims the subject and barely train you to write scripts, and depends on giving you scripts to explore it either with the instructor or on your own. But overall I really enjoyed my time going through this course and I recommend it to anyone beginning his journey to game development

By Stella M

Mar 28, 2016

It's a simple and straight-forward course that brings you through the basics pretty fast. If you have the time, you could actually do the whole course in a day or two, just coming back for peer review. There are no surprises and the projects are simple. The instructor even lists what the objects of each lesson and video are, so if you need to look back at a specific feature, you need only look at the titles and then watch that one video. It's also interesting to see what people think of when creating a second level, if they try to go further.

By George D

Aug 6, 2020

The fundamentals are here, and I really enjoy the layout. For it's time, I'd probably give it a five star... But unless you can get unity 5 (specifically 5) working flawlessly, and match up with other peers who can do the same thing (Unlikely, I'm a tech, and it took me some effort), the peer reviews are a nightmare. Honestly if they removed the peer reviews, the course would be tremendously better. And maybe provided a place to download unity 5 specifically to futureproof. I doubt it'll be supported forever from unity themselves.

By Elham P G

Sep 7, 2019

Overall very great course. Love the way everything is step by step however the version of the Unity worked on the videos is much older than current one. Don't let this put you off as it's not really going to effect your learning as such. My only complain was deadlines which are weekly and with me working 5 days a week, 10hrs a day I had to really push to watch all the lectures and do the assignments (projects) on time.

I will definitely continue with the remaining courses in relation to this one. Really enjoyed it and learn a lot!

By Marc-André M

May 17, 2017

This course is wonderful, fast paced and engaging. The assignments are fun and make you feel like you are progressing. Maybe one challenge is that Unity is evolving very quickly and some of the material refers to deprecated Unity features. But as of Unity 5.6, you should still be able to get through the course with only minor tweaks. Having to search for solutions is something you'll need to do when you're working on Unity projects by yourself, so might as well get used to it. The forums are a great help.

By Brad J

Oct 1, 2015

I really liked this course. Although some of it depended too much on pre-made scripts it was at the level of games that make sense to a beginner without being to complex (like all of Unity's own tutorials are). Sometimes, it went to fast and I was quickly switching from Unity to Coursera to hit the "pause" button to give me time to catch up. I thought that it took way to long to download other participants work in order to evaluate it, but I think that is an issue with Coursera and not with this course.

By Ricardo G V

Aug 18, 2016

Introduction is much more than this course is, in my respectful opinion. When I read the information on the specialized program, I thought it was something more compact, more useful in the face of the video game industry.

However, this program of courses is rather a paltry touchdown, an insignificant approach. I think it should be underlined that it is a course for those who have never had any experience in videogames development.

Considering all this, is a great course. You have to be objective.

By Robert G B J

Mar 26, 2017

I enjoyed the course, but I the scripting part was still mainly, "here's a script to add to the game, and then we'll look it over". There was very little scripting until the project, which really didn't require much scripting either.

I recommend adding more ACTUAL scripting, or a new section or course that discusses ACTUAL scripting.

Otherwise, I did find it informative. I have a lot more questions, but until I see the final course, I can't say whether they'll be addressed.

By Nicholas F V D

Oct 25, 2020

Great structure and instruction. However, the version of Unity used, and may of the vital items needed to complete the assignment are no longer easily accessible after a few hours of trying. I've tried to download asset packs to no avail and more so, I get compiling errors when I try to follow along and play my game progress. I understand that I am likely doing something wrong... but I can't learn how to fix an essay when I don't understand how to speak simple words.

By Henrik D

Jan 27, 2016

I think the course is good. I could've wished for some more engagement from the lecturer as it often felt like he was reading from a script, and I might as well have read the script myself. I also think the course was very slow paced and I finished all the projects in a week alongside my MSc-studies as well as working part-time, I wish the projects would've gone more in-depth for those students who wished to put in more hours into the course.

By Carlos D P G

Oct 19, 2015

Good course, I learned a lot about Unity. However, I feel that it does not promote investigation by ourselves. Basically, the videos are the steps we need to do to complete one half of the assignment, and the other half is just about repeating those steps we were shown. Also, I expected a bit more depth in the scripts week, but I understand it's hard to add a lot of content for just a week. The course is still good, but maybe too easy.

By Lucas L

Feb 17, 2016

We really need more coding on this one, perhaps half the time should be dedicated to actual coding. From creating environment grappling- hooks. As well as showing 2D gaming and how to work with Physics.

The UI and the Unity Walkthrough on everything from Objects to Particles and animation was really well done. And the Tutor is very good at describing the differences between things, as well as alternating how to create things.

Nov 2, 2015

The instructor videos were clear and informative. The course had a balanced mix of game development theory and practical exercises. Solid introduction to the Unity game design platform. The projects increased in difficulty and time commitment as the course progressed, building on prior knowledge. The peer review of game files was challenging at times, but it was a good experience to create actual games.

By Mohamed H

Sep 2, 2019

the course was a very good way to start in unity and to be good with it's UI and other stuff like particles , animation ,camera , creating objects and this stuff but it's not good if you want programing and coding the course did not go in details in coding it's just scratch the surface of coding if you understand what i mean and this made me annoying and disappointed in the end of the course

By Markus B

Dec 26, 2015

Good course that gets you going with Unity3D. Very simple to follow the hands-on lectures, just repeat in your own editor. The assignments are very easy, this is the easiest course I've completed on Coursera. Very basic coding involved, and you don't need to write anything from scratch. I will take the next Course offered by Michigan State University as well!

By Matias F

Jan 17, 2016

A nice introduction to Game Development. The content is great and it doesn't overextend to the point of scaring you off game dev. I would give this course 5 stars if it had a little more spice. Everything in the course felt too scripted. I would suggest doing some fun live sessions on the side or something to let us know we're not being taught by robots.

By Marco C

Jul 24, 2016

Very good introduction to game engines, in particular to Unity 3D. There are several projects that provide hand on experience. The only negative side is that the first 2 weeks provide very little material whereas most of the work is concentrated on the last 2 weeks.

Overall this is good experience for anyone interested in learning about the subject.

By Vinícius T

Sep 23, 2019

Excellent course. The classes are very well organized and easy to follow. Although Unity has been updated since the course was recorded the resources are still valid. My only suggestion is to include exercises a bit more challenging that require the students to create more original projects rather than creating a "Level 2".

By Giovanni

Apr 10, 2016

Great course! It just has some small problems regarding scripts considering that most of them give some warning messages, due to the latest version of Unity which made some changes and deprecated some stuff.

I've also felt sorry discovering that I can submit the tests and the projects only if I purchase the certificate.

By Kaan E

Apr 26, 2020

I think for intro course it was well structured and talked about very important things in Unity for beginners. It'd be nice to have a bit more of a challenge on the course and focus a bit more on programming rather than using pre-written scripts all the time. Overall, I enjoyed it and I think it's valuable. Thank you!

By Issabella I

Oct 19, 2019

great course! It would've been better to go deeper into programming, and instead of just providing students with a ready code and explain it for them, it would be better to make them write the codes. Writing the codes yourself makes you understand them better, fix errors, and just have the code imprinted in your mind.

By Kelly

Feb 27, 2016

It was great to learn about Unity with step-by-step instruction. I think a little more code explanation would have been nice at the end (Like what an "!" meant before something...I figured it out, but it pulled me out of the lesson to have to look things up or wonder about them.) Very interesting stuff.