Back to Introduction to Game Development

KG

Sep 30, 2019

Great course, got to learn and understand good things about developing games in general and particularly in Unity. I highly suggest it for someone who has no experience whatsoever at game development.

ML

Jul 22, 2019

Really great course! It was more challenging towards the end of it, but I enjoyed it and recommend it. I hope that my completing the course marked the start of my future as a game designer and maker.

1226 - 1250 of 1,280 Reviews for Introduction to Game Development

Jul 01, 2018

Good .

By youssef s a

Sep 09, 2020

good

By Gabriel A

Sep 28, 2015

M

By Kinga K K

Mar 11, 2020

It was fun making all these games from scratch which gave me an overall view of simple programing and game dev, though I know it's just the starting line.

The reason why I gave only 3 stars is that the course materials are out of date and there's lack of help how to use them with newer Unity versions. I used the forum looking for help but there were some issues I couldn't solve relying on the forum discussions. In my opinion a text file would have been very helpful with all the necessary information about the upgrades and all the details it affects related to this course. I think online courses should follow technical improvements especially when it isn't free and wants to represent university quality.

By Frank

Jan 04, 2016

Didactically I was a little disappointed since, as so often, allegedly innovative e-learning is based on a conventional transmission pedagogy, with the instructur delivering frontal-teaching-style lectures and the learner imitating the instructions. As a comparative novice in the field, I'm not sure that I am now able to apply independently what I imitated for the assignments. Scripting went right over my head.

Rhetorically, many of the lectures were preformulated written texts rattled off, sometimes quite fast, in spite of the complexity of some of the information. Where the instructor formulated freely, the excessive Uuuhms and "go ahead's" nearly drove me bonkers.

On the whole, a useful course, though.

By Christopher J

Dec 28, 2015

While I enjoyed the projects and found the instructor easy to follow and understand, I was disappointed in how little coding we did. The code walkthroughs were rushed and I barely learned enough to scratch the surface of some of the scripts we used in the basic projects. Since scripting is such a huge part of game development, I feel like there should have been more focus on it. Maybe a new term in each video or something?

And I understand that the course was only four weeks, which doesn't allow much time for deep scripting analysis, but maybe the course should be longer than four weeks.

Overall a fun class and I now have two games to show off to people.

By Prashant P

Mar 02, 2016

Good for beginners. I am not sure if anyone who has designed even a small game in Unity will be interested in this course. I was quite bored and had to go through all the videos just to complete the assignment which cannot be completed if you don't go through all the videos which I think is the drawback for this course. But again, its for beginners. As for me, I am looking forward to interesting and in-depth topics to learn about. The specialization will hold no value if it doesn't pose any challenge to its pursuers.

By Chris D

Jun 07, 2018

Not bad, gets you started with the basics in Unity. However, i have done some beginner courses elsewhere and they have all started with an introduction to C# before moving on to using Unity. I find having a base knowledge of the language is a must if you want to succeed in the game industry, therefore i think this course could be better by teaching at least a rudimentary amount of C#. Otherwise the course is fine, it teaches you the basics of Unity which is expected from an introduction course.

By Calin T

Jan 07, 2018

It does teach the basics of Unity, but it does not touch very much at all on the crux of game development - programming. I wish I got more opportunities to practice C# with Unity, but the only time I did was a little bit on the last week. The rest of the courses in the specialization also don't focus much on that aspect

By Bernardo S d L

Mar 02, 2020

The teacher is great, but they should update it and choose a version of unity to work with. Even future classes can work in an older version. Every peer assignment that I graded had a different version of unity. Most I could just update to the newer version but there were a few that crashed.

By Marco T T C

Mar 26, 2016

It's a good, but timid, introduction to game development with Unity. It addresses many relevant game development concepts, like programming, collision detection and 3D coordinates. It course may be better appreciated if taken as part of a specialization.

By Γιώργος Μ

Oct 29, 2016

3 stars because the lecturer is really good but talks a little bit fast so foreign students cant clearly understand what he means or get "lost" in the course. You will say "you can reduce the speed" but this would reduce the sound quality too.

By adarsh s

Its a big let down that the instructor didn't teach us actual C# coding in week 4 and most of it is just a little code walk through.Except that course is good.

By Connor W

Feb 14, 2020

This course is great, but I've had to reset my deadlines for 6 months because how the thing is uploaded doesn't work how the professors say it should.

Jul 18, 2017

This class is a pretty good introduction to Unity, I just don't know that it is better than the free tutorials provided by Unity.

By Thiago G

Dec 17, 2015

The course introduces the student to the production of a game using Unity, but it lacks on programming focus.

By Alvaro M

May 24, 2016

Very basic introduction. Though it covers all the needed information it lacks of interesting content.