Back to Principles of Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of Game Design by Michigan State University

4.4

You have a great idea for a game. Turning that idea into a reality isn't just about knowing the tools. In this course you will practice moving from game concept through design documentation, prototyping and testing. Numerous elements go into the overall process of game design. These range from topics such as idea generation, story, character, and game world development, game mechanics and level design, and user experience design. You will explore the process for designing meaningful experiences for your players. At the end of the course learners will have produced a game's high concept document, one page blueprint, a physical prototype, pitch and supporting design documentation to move from an idea in your head to a fleshed out design, ready for implementation....

JR
Mar 26, 2016

Great course!\n\nThought I wouldn't use the stuff that I learned in the videos at first, but as I started working on my own projects, I realised it was very important knowledge for a game developer.

MC
Apr 2, 2017

This course helps your game go from concept to reality. It pushed me to get a digital prototype made and ready to demo. Great depth of information related to game design and the gaming industry.

251 - 275 of 346 Reviews for Principles of Game Design

By Joel G I

May 8, 2016

There is a lot of writing here, but the course gives a better understanding of what is required outside of actually building a game

By Marc-André M

May 29, 2017

Another good course in the Game Design and Development specialization. I had a lot of fun making the prototype at the end.

By Juan P T P

Mar 2, 2016

I would have liked that the written feedback in the assignments were mandatory, it would allow us to improve on our designs

Jun 30, 2017

Useful for making people think and analyze things and to develop new ideas, the methods used were quite interesting.

By Animesh

Mar 18, 2019

It was a great experience to realize that game development was much more than coding, designing and audio mixing.

By Anirudh C

Oct 21, 2018

Insightful and enthralling! I learned game design in an orderly fashion along with dos and donts. Very useful.

By Dhesikan C

Apr 5, 2018

The bit boring. But perhaps teaches some of the most required skills and concepts required in a game coarse.

By José L E C

Mar 21, 2016

This was a very good course, however the assignments were too long to complete in only a week.

By Tarek E

Sep 27, 2018

Good content for the basics of Game Design, but the course lacks good graded materials.

By Zheng L

Mar 12, 2018

Lots of detailed knowledge of game design, which makes me more professional

By Elham P G

Jan 28, 2020

I learned a lot from this module but I must say theory is not my thing!

By Sergey B

Aug 8, 2017

This course has hard assignments. And videos don't really help with it.

By Andres C

Jul 8, 2020

Good Information, it need more participation on forums from students.

By Andreas Z

Jul 26, 2016

Very insightful course although the assignments were a bit redundant

By Thomas B

May 23, 2017

Learned a lot, but the videos could stand to be a bit more concise.

By René S K

Dec 20, 2015

The templates are very good, but the course videos are too general.

By yuan c

Aug 1, 2016

good game design introduction course, lots of concepts, great!

By Jackson K

May 1, 2017

Fun course although a little too conceptual for my liking.

By Zhang Y

Dec 27, 2019

This course is great for beginner!

The materials is good.

By Marc T

Dec 3, 2015

Once you set the video speed to 1.5 it improves a lot ;-)

By Carlos H A

Feb 13, 2017

This course is mandatory to design a good videogame.

By Kareem A H

Oct 28, 2019

4/5 cz its a little booring :3

By Ricardo M

Dec 5, 2016

Lots of good information.

By Vikramaditya G